grafs / hornady scale and powder dispenser

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nothing really exciting. Just 2000 .45 230 grain bullets, a Lee .45ACP Factory Crimp Die, some targets, and a box of 68 grain .223 bullets. My next door neighbor and I went in together to split the .45 bullets.

EDIT: Got two free items for spending over $300. One is a BSA panoramic Multi-reticle sight, which I will probably donate for one of the upcoming TFF giveaways.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. clepidus

clepidus Member

You are correct it measures to 10ths of a grain. If it throws more than 1/10 of a grain over an alarm sounds and the scale locks up and will not throw another charge until reset. This is a pretty cool feature since it prevents you from loading more than one round and having to start over on a whole run. The alarm is not very loud for my worn bad ears but if I usually hear it just fine.

It also comes with 2 weights for calibrating. One is 10grams and the other 30grams. It is calibrated by a program that tells you when to place the weight. If your not paying attention you will miss it when it flashes pass. If it doesn't pass then it will lock up with an audible alarm and you have to re zero it.

Bottom line it is pretty much fool proof and after you start to trust it, things go pretty smooth. I reweighed every charge for quite a while before I gave in and weighed every 10th on my 505 scale. The one thing I haven't done yet is weigh an over charge to see how much off it is.

The system I use is prep my cases and prime them. Then I set up the scale making sure to allow it 10 minutes or more to warm up. (I usually turn it on when I sit down at the desk.) I then calibrate and set my charge. I toss back the first one and then start with the second charge. I pour it set my bullet and with most loads, by the time I get the funnel and next case in my hand the next charge is just finishing up. It streamlines the process and all makes it much faster.

In my opinion it is much more accurate than a measure like the uniflow because it is throwing by weight not volume.

The unit I am describing is the one OZO posted a link to not the scale only version shown in the pictures.

Mike
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Thanks, and forgive my nosiness.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i gotta scrape some funds up and get me one of those.

i'm using a lyman digital, and check every 5 or 10th on on a 505

my rcbs volume dispenser is ok.. and more accurate on ball powder.. i just don't like it on stick powders at all. too much cutting action.

soundguy
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I just bought the $24.95 scale from Grafs and some boo-lits...

and a double cavity rifle mold for the .458, 6 cavity .45 ACP mold... along with some SD ammo for the .40

and a free T-shirt! hahaha that's when you know to stop adding things to your cart when the freebies pop up!

hope the scale works out, for $25 I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Will check it on the balance beam also to see if it's off at all.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

at least, if it's off.. if it's off / repeatable. at least.. that counts for alot..
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Your welcome. I didn't consider it being nosy!!