Grammer or whatever

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Spanky, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Spanky

Spanky New Member

The land of Sunshine, the best Citrus and the Most
    Sorry, just gotta say it because I see it so often: "alot" is not a word. A lot of people apparently don't know this. (I know gotta is not a word) I'm not an english teacher or anything like that, but for some reason this one gets to me.
  2. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Personally i use alot, alot of the times on the internet but in my college papers i don't use the word alot at all.
  3. travihanson

travihanson New Member

You know what gets me? "Anyways" it's not anyways....it's anyway....
  4. You are quite correct, Spanky. "Alot" is not a legitimate word in English. At best it may be considered slang. It seems to be a contraction or squeezing together of two words, the article "a" and the informal pronoun "lot" to form an adverb meaning "a great deal" or "many." As so many words in American English do, it comes from informal British usage modified (some would say corrupted) here in the US. Oh, and by the way, you misspelled "grammar" in the title of your post. It's spelled with an "ar" at the end, not "er." ;)
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Picky Picky Picky.

I ain't gonna pay alot'a attention to this post.
    I just do what they taut us in skool.
    Well........maybe if forget somma it, 3rd grade was along time ago.
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Like, you know, like what gets me is like people who say like , um I don't know Um , like you know what I mean? :D
  7. strayshot

strayshot New Member

Have you ever scanned a gun forum where *alot* of members write 'prolly' instead of 'probably'? I don't know why.. but, If I see that, I'm.....out of there!
  8. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Isn't prolly, Southern slang for probably? Alot easier to type...:D
  9. firebird

firebird New Member

Aww man!!! You beat me too it!!!!:(
  10. firebird

firebird New Member

Spanky...I take it you haven't come across IB's posts yet...LMAO!

And in your sig..."Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" - Bob Seger"...I'm not saying Seger didn't say/sing that, but I do know that's a line in Poison's "Something to Believe In" song (one of my favs!):)
  11. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

The one that really irks me is when people are debating rifle design and the miss the spelling of certain words. They usually misspell Enfield. Common misspellings include MAUSER and MOSIN NAGANT.

Example; "the best rifle ever built was the Mauser,"

Obviously this is simply misspelling and should have read "The best rifle ever built was the Enfield."

Pistol, Polish, just practice writing that for about a half hour per day and soon you'll be cured of this slight spelling defect. Remember now, it's "The best rifle ever built was the Enfield." :p ;) :D

Otherwise you'll keep on looking foolish by incorrectly posting that the best rifle ever built was the Mauser or Mosin. I'm just looking out for you guys. :cool:
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Next y'all gunna tel me that y'all ain't a dang wird! Cumon to Texas and say it down here! :eek: :D :D :D :rolleyes:
  13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Y'all is in the Merriam-Webster with the definition being: A variant of you all.

So, IPT, it is a recognized word !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
  14. noslolo

noslolo New Member

That was very funny Bunnyhunter12!!!! I don't agree but funny none the less!