Grandfather's Inherited Guns

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JasonCA, Jan 30, 2009.

1. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

Hi Everyone,

I will be inheriting a few gun's from my grandfather; some are ones I have used to go out shooting with him. However, I will be splitting the guns between my brother. Someone in our family, who has a general knowledge of guns, gave us an estimate of how much the guns are worth. Yet, I am not sure how accurate the estimates are. And, I will be obtaining more information on the guns in the coming days.

For now, I was hoping someone can just take a quick look over the list of guns and let me know the following:

1) If any of the estimates for one of the guns may be way off?
    2) If I had to pick 4 guns, which one should I try to hold on to? You can just select the number in the list for that particular gun.

I'm sure some guns in the list are more common then others. And some in the list may be on the more rare side; or maybe none are. So right now I am just trying to get a idea of what guns I should focus most of my attention on. Here are the list of guns ...

#1) Dan Wesley 357 Magnum revolver, [$250]
    #2) Sterling Arms Sterling .22, [$100]
    #3) Browning .32 (produced between 1930-1940), [$200]
    #4) Sterling .22 pistol revolver (can fire .22 long rifle cartridge), [$250]
    #5) Sterling .22 semi-automatic pistol, [$100]
    #6) Canadian Centennial '67 Winchester Rifle, [$1000]
    #7) Glen Field Model 60, .22 Long Rifle, single action, [$150]
    #8) Winchester 30-30. , [$500]
    #9) Remington Short-Long .22 rifle, [$100]

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason
  2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

jason,
    first, welcome to the forum.. hope that you stick around for a while.

second, i offer my condolances for your loss

if it were me id try to hold on to the firearms that had the most sentimental value. i would definatly try to hold on to the '67 winchester if at all possible. if you can.. post some pics the shape the firearms they are in has a lot to do with what they are worth
  3. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

Check the two big auction sites on the internet. You can get a good appreciation of what these guns bring in the real world. I agree with the previous comment on the Winchester....go for this one first. It has more investment potential than any of the others.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

#1 - Dan Wesson 357 (most likely. Dan Wesley?) is a little low. I'm thinking at least 300. More if it has extras - extra barrels, extra grips, pistol case.

#2 & 5 - Sterling was an inexpensive pocket pistol made up 'til the mid 80s. They made several different models of 22 automatic, and they are all worth 100 or less.

#3 - Browning 32 auto. Unless it is in really crappy shape, it is probably worth closer to 400 than to 200.

#4 - Sterling revolver. Can find no record, anywhere, of Sterling making a revolver.

#6 - Canadian Centennial Winchester. A commemorative (which is what this is) has value only as long as you have all the paperwork that came with it, have the box it came in, and it has never been fired. Once any of that changes - you lose the paper, the box gets destroyed, you shoot the gun - it becomes a shooter. A post-64 Winchester 94 shooter is worth, maybe 4 to 500. I pulled up a couple of auctions on a search. There was one that had never been fired, but had box but no papers. 406 dollars. One that had never been fired but no box or papers. Open at 519. No bids. One with box and papers, but the sleeve that went around the box was missing. 425.

#7 - Glenfield Model 60. One of the most popular 22 autos ever made. One of the reasons is, for most of it existence it sold for less than 90 bucks. I'd say 75 is closer to its real value than 150.

#8 - Winchester 30-30. Those were made for close to 110 years. Values can run from around 300 to many thousands of dollars, depending on the age, condition, extra features, etc.

#9 - Remington 22 rifle. Too many to pick from without further information.

You want advice on which four to keep? Let me go the other way - which to get rid off. Dump the three Sterlings. Then you only have six to choose from.

I'd probably keep the 357. I'd definitely keep the Browning. Keep one of the 22 rifles and one of the 30-30s.
  5. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I'd keep them all. For what little you're going to get for most of them you may as well as keep them and use them.
  6. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. Thank you Alpo for taking the time to give specific answers per each gun.

As I said in my original posting, I will be obtaining updated information on the guns. I was made aware that the original gun listings were NOT as accurate as I thought. I have since taken a look at the guns personally and have determined that these are the actual gun models:

#1) Browning Model 1922, [$200]
    #2) Hi-Standard .22 Long Rifle Model M-101, [$100]
    #3) Sterling .22 L.R. Auto (Gasport N.Y), [$100]
    #4) Dan Wesson 357 Magnum Model 15, [$250]
    #5) H&R (Harrington & Richardson) .22 LR Model 999 Sportsman Revolver, [$250]
    #6) Winchester 30/30 Canadian Centennial 1867-1967 20'' octagon barrel, [$1000]
    #7) Single Shot Remington .22 Short.Long or Long Rifle (The Junior Special) Model 521-T, [$100]
    #8) Marlin Glenfield Mod 60 Cal 22 L.R. Only Rifle (Made from 1960-present), [$150]
    #9) Marlin EST 1870-MICRO-GROOVE BARREL-MOD.336 CAL. 30-30 WIN., [$500]

Other comments suggested I get rid of most of the Sterlings. However, I see now that only one of them is really a Sterling. The rest are differnet types of guns.

Considering that this is the case, I am wondering what guns I should lean towards keeping (If I can choose only 4 of the guns)? Also, how far off do you think the price quotes are for what each gun is worth?

Also, when I get a chance I am going to post a picture of each gun. I think it's fun and nice to know what each gun looks like so people can see what they are. I will be working on getting those pictures.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Per your updated list: :p

1- If it is in any kind of shape at all, I'd still keep the Browning.

2 - High Standard 22s are pretty good, generally, but the Dura-Matic 101 was kinda at the bottom of the list, and then you have the problem of finding magazines for guns that are out of production. I'd sell it.

3 - I'd still get rid of that Sterling.

4 - This is a possible. In my opinion, everyone needs at least one good self-defense/home-defense pistol. Of the guns on your list, this is the only one that fits.

5 - I'd keep the 999. Everything I have heard says the H&R 22s, while inexpensive, were pretty damn good.

6 - I'd sell it. Like I said before, it only has value as long as it is never touched. And what good is a gun that you can't shoot. And, since it was made to never be shot, there is always that possibility that it does not shoot good. But the only way to find that out is to shoot it, and then you've lost 50% of its value.

7 - If you have kids, or grandkids, or expect kids, or your wife is a small woman that wants to shoot, then I'd probably keep this. But, if your wife is large enough to handle a full-size gun, or you have no kids and don't expect any, I'd sell it and keep

8 - this one. A multi-shot semi auto, as a general rule, is going to be a more useful gun than a single-shot. So, I would keep one of these two 22 rifles.

9 - Now here's the difficulty. This one is also a maybe. It's a hell-for-strong 30-30. It's stronger than a Winchester. But it is also heavier. That does make it kick less, though. Do you plan to hunt? 30-30 has, at one time or another, taken every type game animal on the North American continent. It ain't the best for everything, but it has worked. If the fecal matter strikes the rotary occilator, it would be best to have something that would take down your average Mutant Zombie Biker.

So, I'd keep the Browning, but I like old guns. And I would sell the Marlin, but I don't like Marlins. Just a personal thing with me.

But, for your average non-gun-nut, it would make more sense to keep the Marlin.

So I guess my recommendations would be, for keepers
    H&R 22
    One of the 22 rifles, depending on your situation
    Marlin 30-30
    Dan Wesson 357

That should give you a fairly well-rounded beginner's battery.

I did a search on the High Standard. 250 seems to be closer to the value than 100.

I still think your Browning price is waaay low.

The Winchester commemorative sold new for 125, and was valued at 450, NIB, in my 2003 Blue Book. I seriously doubt that it has more than doubled in value in the past 6 years. I think it is closer to 500.

I'm not sure what the EST 1870 means in #9. If you mean you estimate it was made in 1870, that's off. They didn't start making 336s until 1948. You can get a new one for just over 400. http://www.commandsurplus.com/product_info.php?products_id=76122&cPath=7273&source=googlebase A used one usually sells for between 250 and 300.

#8 - You might want to read this forum page. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=41142.0 I found two at auction. One sold for 100. The other opened at 90 and got no bids.
  8. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

I'll start posting some pictures of a few of the guns from my listing of 9 of the guns from above...

#1) Browning Model 1922 Type WaA140, was originaly told it is worth about [$200]

Attached Files:

9. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

#3) Sterling .22 L.R. Auto (Gasport N.Y), [$100]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
  10. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

#4) Dan Wesson 357 Magnum Model 15, [$250]

I like the look of the grip on this one.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
  11. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

#5) H&R (Harrington & Richardson) .22 LR Model 999 Sportsman Revolver, [$250]

Attached Files:

12. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

#6) Winchester 30/30 Canadian Centennial 1867-1967 20'' octagon barrel, [$1000]

Attached Files:

13. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

#7) Single Shot Remington .22 Short.Long or Long Rifle (The Junior Special) Model 521-T, [$100]

Attached Files:

14. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

#8) Marlin Glenfield Mod 60 Cal 22 L.R. Only Rifle (Made from 1960-present), [$150]

Attached Files:

15. JasonCA

JasonCA New Member

#9) Marlin EST 1870-MICRO-GROOVE BARREL-MOD.336 CAL. 30-30 WIN., [$500]

Attached Files: