1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Grandma Gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BerettaSig, May 4, 2003.

1. BerettaSig

BerettaSig New Member

My grandma is wanting to buy a handgun, she can't pull back the slide of a pistol so that narrows it down to the small berettas w/ tip-up barrels(tomcat,bobcat,etc.) and revolvers. She also doesn't want to spend more than $350. Any suggestions?
  2. Grayfox

Grayfox New Member

I would suggest a nice used S&W K-frame revolver in .38 Special or .357. Maybe do a tune up if the trigger needs some smoothing out for her older hands. Load it with standard velocity .38s and Grandma should be just fine. ;)
  3. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

I think a .38 might be too much for an elderly woman who can't pull back the slide on a semi-auto. Experienced shooters don't think much of the noise and recoil of a .38 Special but for some it can be overpowering. I would recommend the Taurus M94 nine-shot revolver in .22 Long Rifle. Hopefully she has enough strength to effectively work the trigger on a DA gun. This is a small frame gun and a 4" barrel is available. Make sure she practices with it some (targets no more than 10 feet away) but the noise and recoil of the .22 should not upset her. A couple of hits from a .22 will dissaude all but the most determined criminal.
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yup!

Berretasig, Only sharing my own experience here with my mother. She has/had the same problem as your grandmother. I ended up giving her a H&R 929 .22. Looks like the one below with a 2 1/2 in. barrel...she also comes over here to practice...

Attached Files:

• h&r.jpg
      h&r.jpg
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
  5. BerettaSig

BerettaSig New Member

thanks for the help, I think I'm either going to get her a Taurus 2" .38 or a Beretta Tomcat .32.

Smokin' guns, If you can remember one of my other topics, I was wondering whether to get an Armscor 1600, well, I got it tonight and it shoots great and looks great but it has minor feeding problems. Overall I think it was a good buy.
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey!

berettasig, Good for you. Glad you like it. What magazines are you using?...only time I have had problems with feeding is with the Hi-cap mag's...:)
  7. BerettaSig

BerettaSig New Member

A 15 rd. mag came with it and that is what i'm using. I also have a Standard Ruger .22 pistol and it has feeding problems with hollowpoints and that's what im' using in the 1600 so maybe the shells are the problem.