Grandma Gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BerettaSig, May 4, 2003.

1. BerettaSig

BerettaSig New Member

My grandma is wanting to buy a handgun, she can't pull back the slide of a pistol so that narrows it down to the small berettas w/ tip-up barrels(tomcat,bobcat,etc.) and revolvers. She also doesn't want to spend more than $350. Any suggestions?
  2. Grayfox

Grayfox New Member

I would suggest a nice used S&W K-frame revolver in .38 Special or .357. Maybe do a tune up if the trigger needs some smoothing out for her older hands. Load it with standard velocity .38s and Grandma should be just fine. ;)
  3. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

I think a .38 might be too much for an elderly woman who can't pull back the slide on a semi-auto. Experienced shooters don't think much of the noise and recoil of a .38 Special but for some it can be overpowering. I would recommend the Taurus M94 nine-shot revolver in .22 Long Rifle. Hopefully she has enough strength to effectively work the trigger on a DA gun. This is a small frame gun and a 4" barrel is available. Make sure she practices with it some (targets no more than 10 feet away) but the noise and recoil of the .22 should not upset her. A couple of hits from a .22 will dissaude all but the most determined criminal.
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yup!

Berretasig, Only sharing my own experience here with my mother. She has/had the same problem as your grandmother. I ended up giving her a H&R 929 .22. Looks like the one below with a 2 1/2 in. barrel...she also comes over here to practice...

Attached Files:

• h&r.jpg
      h&r.jpg
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
  5. BerettaSig

BerettaSig New Member

thanks for the help, I think I'm either going to get her a Taurus 2" .38 or a Beretta Tomcat .32.

Smokin' guns, If you can remember one of my other topics, I was wondering whether to get an Armscor 1600, well, I got it tonight and it shoots great and looks great but it has minor feeding problems. Overall I think it was a good buy.
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey!

berettasig, Good for you. Glad you like it. What magazines are you using?...only time I have had problems with feeding is with the Hi-cap mag's...:)
  7. BerettaSig

BerettaSig New Member

A 15 rd. mag came with it and that is what i'm using. I also have a Standard Ruger .22 pistol and it has feeding problems with hollowpoints and that's what im' using in the 1600 so maybe the shells are the problem.