Granite Heaven...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Nov 13, 2007.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Some of yall might remember the idea i had a few years back with the penholder idea.... I was going to cut up granite scraps and put a pen funnel on top and sell them as pen holders.
    I just couldn't get enough granite scraps here at the stone company because we just don't do granite very often.
    Today i went to Rogers for an eye appointment and on the way back i stopped at a granite countertop place and told them who i was, what i was looking for "granite scraps" to make pen holders out of and such... My first shock was that they said the scraps were free...and the second shock was the size of the pile!!!! I was thinking they would have a scrap pile the size of a car or such. NOPE... It was 6'tall by about 25'wide and about 60'long!!!!
    My jaw dropped and i stood there and just stared at the pile in disbelief. And not all of it little stuff either. Alot of big pieces...and every color imaginable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Me thinks i may just go over there with the 1ton ford and get 4-5 tons of it.... :D
    I have a small bottle jack rock splitter that is capable of splitting the granite, even the 3cm stuff.... i will split them square and use a pitching tool to take care of any rough corners if they come out sharp after splitting them.
    Not sure i would wanna quit my day job but i think i should be able to sell them cheap and make a little off of the whole thing? They have alot of craft fairs arround here and i think i smell an oportunity..... ;)

mike
    gn
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

3. Well Mike, if you build some, let me know. I'll buy one from you, maybe several for gifts. :)
  4. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

This is when ebay will be your friend.
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Bet you'll find some Craft Fairs not too far away!
    Good Luck, Buddy.
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Sounds like a grand idea Mike, maybe it'll keep you off the streets and out of trouble. lol
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Hope it makes you millions ;)
  8. Lilly

Lilly New Member

Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay is calling you!!
    Lilly:)
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Free granite?? :eek: Sounds like you can't lose!
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Pretty good looking pens on that page...

Being the stone is free i am thinking i should be able to sell them for $7 or less at craft fairs? Thats my thinking anyway. I ran the numbers before using stone that i had to buy and cut myself...it just wasn't viable back then. But now with the splitter and the free stone i think it might be viable to do it now.

mike
    gn
  11. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Good Luck on your venture Mike. I wish you the best with it. catfish
  12. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

glocknut

Here is a pen holder I have had for about 20 yrs. It's 3"x5" marble and cost about $15 back then. The pen is long gone.

[​IMG]
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

The ones i will make will be a bit more simple than that.... Mine will have split edges, not polished. Polishing Granite is a horrible job to say the least. The only way a guy can make money selling them with polished edges is to have them made in china or indonesia.... by near slave labor... :(

Mine will have split edges and will vary in size. S-M-Large

I guess i could try splitting them square and then splitting off the corners making them 8-sided on the larger ones? I dunno...?

mike
    gn
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Sounds very good, Mike. Best to you in this venture. :) :)
  15. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

Good luck Glock! Sounds like a great chance for you, nothing to lose and a lot to gain!