Grease

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RunningOnMT, Oct 23, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

This question applies to long guns too. All the gun manufacturers mention cleaning and oiling, but no one ever mentions grease. It would seem to me that a good gun or maybe even a lithium or graphite grease would be better on trigger mechanisms and wherever you have metal to metal movement such as on semi auto slide rails. Do you all use grease or just oil?
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Grease has too many cons to use. No matter what a grease manufacturer might say, it will get thick in cold weather. Grease also loves to stick, it sticks to everything. Even the thinnest of coverings of grease will collect and hold carbon, lint, dirt, dust, brass shavings. All things I do not want grinding on critical sear surfaces. Combine collected crap along with cold temps on slide rails and you have a great training aid because your autoloader will be jamming on you.

You could probably get along just fine with it if you limited the amount of ammo fired and cleaned it 100% after doing so. However I use my pistols on hunts, hikes and camping trips where they are exposed to prolonged cold, dirt, dust.

I used grease on one hunt. That was the last time I did it too. The grease was not supposed to thicken, the label even said so.

You could try it, but limit the use to low round counts on the range only followed by a full cleaning. Oil is just way too much easier to use and there are more than a few good ones out there.

From my experience I will never try a grease again. Grease does not work very well at all for what I use my firearms for.....
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i use a gun grease on all my semi autos,i have been doing it for years and years and have had no problems.using anything to excess is bad but a light coat of grease on rails keeps it running smoothly. old semperfi
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what type of trigger assemble/rifle type your talking of.
    On my bolt action rifles I'll put a small thin coating of lithium grease on the trigger assembly.
    On semi-auto's I wouldnt recommend grease as to all the "debris" will collect fast on the internal parts including the trigger assmebly.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

i stick to hoppes #9
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

You don't use any lube at all, even oil?
  7. RichR

RichR Member

I use Hoppe's gun grease to coat slide parts-a little goes a long ways.As a note-I use grease inside the barrel to help clean the gun,works well,will see copper in the grease after I remove it(before going to the range).
  8. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Been working on using up a tube of Conklin Moly disulfide grease for 15 years. Sythetic grease unaffected by "normal" temps. Not on semi auto sears though. Stays put and makes action very slick, if used sparingly. And it is black....

Regards, Kirk
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

On Semiautos, I use Remington oil or Break Free LP. For my Revolver I use Break Free LP. For my Grandpa's 16GA Single Shot, I use Remington Oil for the hinge and LP for the ejector. For the Bolt Actions I use a little a tiny ring of LP on the face of the bolt face and the mouth of the chamber.