Great movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, May 9, 2010.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Opinions?

I'm looking to broaden my views and would like your input.

I don't want to hear about good movies. I'd like you advice for 'great' movies.
    It can be due to overall plot, a single performance, or just plain fun.

I understand that this is subject to personal preferance, but that's also part of why I ask.

My library is growing all the time, but there are few movies I watch over and over. More of a collector I guess.

A few I can think of are:

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Great plot and supurb acting by all involved.

Heath Ledger as the Joker. Has anyone thrown themselves into a role as much as this?

The Breakfast Club is one of my favs. Call it a B movie or cult, but if you lived it, you'ld understand. Simple plot, no standout performances, just a great movie for the most part. Very much like the way it was in my youth.
    Friends made due to the circumstances, and later shunned by the reality of life.

Also enjoyed Stand and Deliver. Very nice performance by Edward James Olmos.

What are some of your picks for truly great movies?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's kinda hard to do, without knowing what type movies you like.

There are some great love stories out there, but I don't really like romantic movies, so don't enjoy them. I've heard, time and again, how great Citizen Kane is. I've tried to watch it. It's terrible. My tastes run to action, comedies and westerns, with some science fiction. Most dramas, romances or horror movies, no matter how good others think they are, leave me cold.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Father Goose
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Pick a few to your likeing.
  5. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

The ghost and the darkness. Great acting and cultural attributes of african tribesmen and workers of that era. An action movie of hunting, true man vs beast and on all acounts based on a true event.
  6. navis128

navis128 New Member

Where the Red Fern Grows; Sandlot; Sunset Boulevard; Mildred Pierce; Rear Window...

The Long Hot Summer; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Run Silent, Run Deep; Magnificent Seven;
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  7. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Midway, heard it in Sensoround. When they cranked up those engines the only thing lacking was the wind in your face and the smell of hot engine oil and aviation fuel.

Wings of Eagles.

12 O'clock High

In Harms Way

I Remember Mama

Sea Chase

Soldier of the King.

The Mighty

The Pelican Brief

Shooter
  8. navis128

navis128 New Member

The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Key Largo, Back to Batan, The Green Barets
  9. wpage

wpage Active Member

Agreed Casablanca, Seventh Seal, Caddy Shack.
  10. navis128

navis128 New Member

The Pink Panther...

"Does your dog bite?"

High Anxiety...Cloris Leachman and Harvy Korman (sp) :D
  11. beebz

beebz Member

For John Wayne movies...The Shootist,a great look into the emergence of a town into the 1900's, and The Quiet Man,I just like this movie.
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Cary Grant comedies - Operation Petticoat, Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story, Arsenic and Old Lace, Father Goose, Charade. Also North by Northwest.

Some of the later John Wayne westerns - Big Jake, Rio Bravo/El Dorado (pretty much the same movie, but while I prefer the story in El Dorado better, I prefer Duke's character in Rio Bravo. Plus there is Angie Dickinson), The Cowboys. I like True Grit, although it's a pretty dumb show. I think it's because he is having fun with it. Fell off his horse, while drunk, and said it was the horse the stumbled. Walking along, while drunk, looking for a good camping site. Fell down, tried to get up, couldn't get up, said, "We camp here". :D

Key Largo. To Have and Have Not. The Big Sleep. Dark Passage. Bogie and Bacall just work so good off each other.

The first three Thin Man movies. After that, they got stupid(er).

Just about anything Billy Wilder did. Stalag 17. Sunset Boulevard. Some Like it Hot. The Apartment. Irma La Duce. Witness for the Prosecution. That one makes you love and hate Marlene Dietrich at the same time.

The Shop Around the Corner. It's the movie they remade as "You've Got Mail", but the original is much better.

Anything with Jimmy Stewart playing against June Allyson. Strategic Air Command, Glenn Miller, Monty Stranton. Like Bogie and Bacall, they mesh so well. You believe them.

As long as we're talking Jimmy Stewart, The FBI Story is pretty dang good. Winchester 73 is great. The Far Country and The Man From Laramie are both excellent westerns. Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation makes being married to Maureen O'Hara seem like a bad thing. :p
  13. red14

red14 Active Member

The Searchers, The man who shot Liberty Valance, The outlaw Josie Wales, It's a wonderful life, Ordinary People, Of mice and men, Sparticus, How the west was won, The red bad of courage, Old Yeller, The great escape, The Sand pebbles, Magnificent seven, The longest day, The big red one, Lawrence of Arabia, Jaws, Pyscho, War of the Worlds, Forrest Gump, Saving of Private Ryan, Bridge over the River Kwai, The Afican Queen, and many-many more.
  14. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Hmmm... The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Cool Hand Luke. Unforgiven. The Scarlet Pimpernel. Jungle Book. Dog Day Afternoon. Never Cry Wolf. The Killing Fields. Lady Jane. The BBC series of Ann of Green Gables. The Sandlot. The God's Must Be Laughing, or mad, can't remember which. Funny as hell.

There's more and my brain's fried. Can't think of anything.
  15. red14

red14 Active Member

A lot of great movies in this thread. I can sit and watch great movies all day.
  16. dianalv

dianalv New Member

The Exorcist for scary. Still one of the scariest movies ever made. The Terminator for sci fi. The first and second one, anyway.
  17. navis128

navis128 New Member

From Here to Eternity, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison
  18. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Heres a couple of old ones i love,

Last Man standing

Dirty Harry

Zombieland was a fun one

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Fistful of Dollars

The Hustler

Pool Hall Junkies (Christoper Walken was great in this one)

The Evil Dead series

Office Space

I know more but thats all i will put for now
  19. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Movies I have watched several times, and will continue to because I LOVE them:

The Aviator; story of Howard Hughes.
    Patton; George C. Scott does not PLAY Patton, he BECOMES Patton.
    The Longest yard; the ORIGINAL, not the re-make.

The Passion of the Christ; possibly the most powerful film ever made.
    Reign Over Me; fantastic, dramatic, insightful, funny.
    Avatar; just watched this one again today. Still LOVE it!
    Seven Pounds; The first time the end is a shocker. After that, you still love it.
    Joe Somebody; should have ended five minutes earlier; corny anti-climax, but rest is GREAT.
    Shallow Hal; Great message. Everyone should see this movie.
    Major League; Some poor acting, some corny writing, but cracks us both up EVERY TIME!!
    Click; great message, good acting, well written.
    Bruce Almighty; funny, with a great message.
    The Lord of Rings trilogy - Pure fantasy, lots of fun.
    Matrix trilogy - Sci-Fi - At least I THINK it is?
    Chronicles of Riddick - I like almost everything Diesel does, but this is his best.
    Conspiracy Theory - fiction - I hope.
    Signs - eerie, intriguing to me
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I can't explain why, I LOVE this one.
    Karate Kid - I have watched this at least two dozen times, still enjoy it. The sequels stink, though.
  20. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

The Hunt for Red October and Two Mules for Sister Sarah