Great Western Arms Co. Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tom55, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Tom55

Tom55 New Member

My father just gave me a Great Western Arms Co. Revolver. Its a .22, 4 3/4" blue barrel and blue cylinder (90%), with the two-tone metal color cylinder casing. It also has the faux stag grips. The serial number is "GW7754". I can't date the gun, but I know that my great uncle originally purchased it (so maybe somewhere in the 50s?). Just wondering if anyone had any kind of information on the gun, or maybe even a value. Any help is appreciated - THANKS in advance!

-Tom
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Tom55

Tom55 New Member

Here are some pictures of the gun (sorry not the greatest, but it's about the best I can do).

The 2nd picture shows where it says ".22 CALIBER" on the barrel.

The 3rd picture shows the serial number "GW7754".

-Tom

Attached Files:

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Great Western was in business from 1953 until 1961. During this time they produced 22,000 revolvers. The company was unable to compete with Ruger and Colt because of production and quality problems and were forced to close their doors. There is a collectors following for these guns in spite of the quality problem ( hit and miss ). yours looks to be in excellent condition and is listed at 335 in one reference. I think you could get 375 in a private sale. The two tone color is called case hardening. The 8 year period they were in business is as close as you are going to get on a manufacturing date. There are no available records of their serial numbers. As a matter of trivia, if you ever watch one of the old episodes of Gunsmoke, the gun Mr. Dillon carries is a Great Western, down to the genuine faux stag grips.
  4. sackpeterson

sackpeterson New Member

That ones got a 5 1/2 inch barrel. 5 1/2 inch blue or case hardened .22's are the most common Great Westerns. The most widely used list would put that one at 1955.

Looks in nice shape. The fellow prior to me stated the right ballpark in terms of values. There's some interest percolating for them.

Come see our sight at www.greatwesternarmscollector.com
  5. Tom55

Tom55 New Member

Thanks for the quick response and for the help. I knew it wasn't a very expensive gun, but like everything my dad has owned, I knew it was kept in good condition all the time he owned it. Thanks again for the info - I appreciate it!