Greatest Handgun Ever

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Terry_P, Apr 12, 2008.

?

What is the Greatest Handgun Ever?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2008.
  1. Colt

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Ruger

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Smith and Wesson

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I am limited in the Poll to just 4 choices so I am putting manufacturers as there may be more than once choice per manufacturer. For example I can think of three for Colt: SAA, 1911 or Python. Ruger Flattop Blackhawk, Single Six, etc. S&W: Models 10, 19, 25 or 29. Other: Kimber, Glock, Beretta you name it. Choose a manufacturer and then post a thread with your choice.

I am a lover of the revolver and all things Ruger but I would have to say the Colt Python is my choice.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Way too limited. I would propose Heckler and Koch. That is why I bought my USP, lord knows I shot the XD better, it was the quality, options, and other circumstances that literally forced me to purchase an H&K. I shopped meticulously, I shot probably half of the range's rental inventory, and I loved the XD, I rented that baby as the standard every time, I'd rent that and an M&P, switch back and forth 10 through each- the XD was my standard.

One day I got curious, wanted lots of range time so knew I didn't want a .45, but figured I ought to shoot one... so I rented the USP and instantly fell in love. A USP compact .40 quickly became my choice gun- after 50 rounds through a different caliber and size. I shot the .45 USP one more time before buying, and at the last minute switched to 9mm for many reasons but sure enough I ended up with the USP compact 9mm and love it more with every magazine I put through it.

My accuracy is improving too, shouldn't be long until I'm shooting it just as good as I did the XD. Many people say they need a month or 1,000 rounds or so before they are comfortable carrying their gun. I can tell you I felt comfortable after putting 40 rounds through it (my first range visit) and after putting another 100 I am confident enough in the weapon for carry, and I even have (tsk tsk I'll have my permit soon enough, just trying to get used to the feeling of a gun on my belt, carried without one chambered, sleep that way too).
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

1911....."ole slabsides'.
  4. Why did I just KNOW someone around here would say that? :D;):p

It's somewhat misleading though to try and pick a "best" handgun, mostly because handguns are like any other tool . . . one needs the right one for the specific job at hand. For example, I would agree with Berto on the 1911 design if the job at hand is military application, certain kinds of competition shooting, or just shooting on the range for the hell of it. Personally, I don't care for the 1911 as a concealed carry weapon simply because of its weight and size, the new "ultra compact" models as a possible exception (I'm looking seriously at a Kimber Ultra Compact :D). I know, some others disagree with me on that issue, and I respect that view. For me though, it is nonetheless true. I am kind of "old school" like Berto though in that I still believe the revolver is a viable weapon for self-defense use and I often carry one. In the realm of revolvers, Smith and Wesson says it all! ;)
  5. BillP

BillP New Member

Do you mean "the greatest handgun ever was made by?" If so, you will need a followup question when the results are in. For instance, if Colt wins:
    Greatest Colt Handgun
    Peacemaker
    Python
    other
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I could never place Colt, Ruger, or Smith & Wesson over Springfield.
  7. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Thats why I said choose a manufacturer and then in subsequent post put the model of your choice. For example I choose Colt and then wrote Python. It's all subjective and something to BS about.
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

H&K MK23, never shot one but if I am going to stick H&K as my "greatest manufacturer" I guess I will take their greatest pistol, the only modern pistol designed as a purely offensive handgun, and stick that in the "greatest handgun" category. I couldn't really argue the in and outs of it, I'm personally in love with my USP and want to get my hands on a P7 and maybe even an HK45 sometime in the near future.
  10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

11. artabr

artabr New Member

You mean the 1911 isn't the only handgun? :eek: :D :D

Art

P.S. I love my 3-T, 4", Md. 27-0 Smith.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

That question is like asking best luxury car.

Most, including this writer, would opt for the 1911 design given us by John M Browning. Others would, I am sure, say that a good wheel gun designed by Samuel Colt would be best.

It's all in who likes Cadillac and who prefers Lincoln..... :) :)
  14. But Marlin, what if one prefers Mercedes Benz, Bentley, or Rolls Royce??? :eek::D
  15. 5_Shooter

5_Shooter New Member

Colt .45 Army
  16. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Pistol - -

Smart A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I would prefer to have my 26 Hupmobile straight 8 phaethon back again !!!!!

Attached Files:

17. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

What a tough question, like who's the greatest golfer or basketball player. IMO I would say Colt, only because whenever someone says handgun the first name that pops into mind is Colt. It's one of those manufacturers that has at least in my opinion earned that distinction in history. I know that there are a lot of newer handguns out there that are great in their own right but ask your self if you think you'll get the same chill holding it 140 years from now like some of us do now getting to hold of a Colt Army 1860 or Navy 1851.

JMHO

Jake
  18. tdyoung58

tdyoung58 New Member

Colt 1911, they say imitation is the highest form of flattery, who doesn't make a 1911 model
  19. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Heckler and Koch, one of the biggest military contractors around ;)
  20. winchester 86

winchester 86 New Member

I love my old S&W Mod. 36, Never a problem and i have put some stupid hot loads thrue it when i was much younger, There tough. Regards win 86