green bug 4 10 12mm bridge gun company..whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by green bug, Dec 6, 2009.

1. green bug

green bug New Member

i have a green bug 4 10 12mm that my ex wants to buy from me but i dont know what its worth...just looking for some information
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Bridge Gun Company was a name used by Shapleigh Hardware, of St. Louis, back in the late 1800s/early 1900s, on guns made by Crescent Firearms. What's called a "hardware store gun", because any business, say, "Joe's Hardware", could write the company and tell them, "Make me 50 guns, and stamp them 'Joe's Hardware', and the company would do it. There are hundreds of hardware store brands floating around, all made by, probably no more than five or six companies.

Hardware store guns value run somewhere around 75 to a hundred bucks, max.

Shapleigh had bunches of names for his guns. He'd sell Bay State guns for 5 bucks, maybe, and charge 5.50 for a Bridge Gun Company gun (or vice versa), and they were the same gun, with different names stamped on them.
  3. RJay

RJay Active Member

What , pray tell, is a Green Bug 410???
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Ron, I was reading that title like, "I have a Trooper 357 Colt Ptd Fire Arms Company..what's it worth?

He has a Bridge Gun Company gun, and the model is Greenbug, in 410. Although, I s'pose I could be mistook.
  5. RJay

RJay Active Member

:)I'll take your word for it:) Bridge Gun Co. I know, but not Green Bug.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You know Bridge Gun Company? You're doing better than me. But, like Hammerschlager said once, I have excellent reference books. :D
  7. rkd

rkd New Member

I also have a greenbug 410 12m/m & would like to know what it is worth.
  8. rkd

rkd New Member

I also have a greenbug 410 12m/m & would like to know what it is worth.On the barrel it has Greenbug/ Bridge Gun Co./ 12m/m choke,Serial # A749306 Have had it for 43 yr's and it was used when I got it.
  9. RJay

RJay Active Member

The trade name Greenbug was new to me, but Alpo gave an excellent reply. If the gun is also marked 12MM there is a chance it was made in Belgium. The hardware company owned their trade names and could have them roll marked on the lowest bidder. Google Trade Name shotguns, Crescent Gun Co, Store brand shotguns and you will find a wealth of knowledge.:) Remember, just because it's old does not equate in gold, otherwise my old bod would be worth a fortune.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010