Greetings

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by krazykelley, Aug 26, 2009.

1. krazykelley

krazykelley New Member

Hey all. I'm new here, so you'll have to forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. The point of this post is that soon I'll be aquiring my concealed carry permit. Which pistol(s) and how much spare ammo I'll carry hasn't been decided yet, as it will take some time for me to learn what is comfortable for me.

That, however, is not really the point.

This is mainly a question of WHAT I should carry for ammo. Specificaly, .357 mag., .45acp, 9mm para, and .44 spl. I have been thinking along the lines of Gold Dot or Extreme Shock, but I'm curious as to what the more balisticaly-savvy of you may think.

Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated. I would even consider fmjs if someone could make a convincing argument.

P.S.
    I've got a Springfield XD .45 service model that I've had for a while now. I've debated whether or not to get a laser for awhile, and I've finally decided to do so. I've narrowed my choices down to either a set of CT Lasergrips or a Lasermax internal guide rod laser. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Welcome to the forum.

I like the 230 Gold Dots (but not the 200s) in 45 ACP and prefer the CT laser grips.

Lasers wash out in bright light, but can be useful in low-light - at least for the first shot (after this - depending on the light level - you may be somewhat blinded by muzzle flash, et. al.). They are also slower within the 7 yd range - I use point shooting skills here and just shoot from the hip...... Though I have CTs, I only practice with them about every 3 months or so and still rely on my Trijicons for normal practice. CTs are basically no brainers once they are sighted in .... Besides having them on one of my 45s I also have them on a 357 :

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  3. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Welcome to the forum, you will get plenty of opinions on which ammo to use.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have had both lasers. With the CT, it only intersects the target at one point. Of course "most" of the time, you will not be shooting at a great distance, so the point would be moot. I also don't like to have to "hold" the button down to make it work, of course this could be to your advantage, depending on the situation.

I like the Lasermax. The "pulse" gets my attention right away.

As for ammo, I asked the local police what they used. Figured if I ever had to actually "use" my firearm, the DA would not be able to accuse me of overkill, if I used the same as the police do.

And, Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Welcome krazykelly

Glasers are fun :D
  6. big steve

big steve New Member