Grenade found in sack of potatoes

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by pawn, Mar 1, 2007.

1. pawn

pawn Active Member

Caught this story on BBC today, thought I would share....

A 74-year-old Italian woman was shocked to find a live grenade in a sack of potatoes she had bought at a market.
    Olga Mauriello, from a small town near Naples, had put the potatoes into water to peel them when she discovered the mud-covered, pine cone-shaped grenade.

She alerted the neighbours, who in turn called the police.

Officers detonated the grenade on Wednesday in a park in the town of San Giorgio Cremano. It is thought to have come from a farm in France.

The grenade had no safety pin and was still active. It is believed to be a type used by the US Army in Europe during World War II.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6407963.stm
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

that would very bad to find in you groderies and worse to not find until too late:eek:
  3. It's frightening to think just how much unexploded ordinance is likely still scattered throughout Europe as a result of both world wars. Considering the millions upon millions of shells, bombs, and grenades that were used by all sides, there's bound to be a lot sill buried with dud fuses but intact charges. I read an article a while back that pointed out they're still finding unexploded shells in the farmlands of Belgium and France from the First World War.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Scary thought.
  5. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I think that about every time they dig a foundation for a new building over there, they find some more of the stuff, all kinds. Scary, indeed!
  6. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Gives the term "Hot Potato!" new meaning :(

LL