Grendel P-30 Pistol questions.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 45Auto, Jul 2, 2011.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Does anyone have experience with the 30 shot Grendel P-30 .22 mag. pistol?

Is it reliable? What sort of problems are they known for, if any?

Thanks.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

feed problems, feed problems and more feed problems. not the greatest of guns IMO
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

45Auto,
    I have one and like Helix_FR said, they are prone to having feed problems. However, they like certain ammo only. Mine shoots well with CCI MaxiMag as does my AMT Automag 2 that likes this same ammo.
    Old Gun Guy
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Thank you Helix_FR

Old Gun Guy,

Is it reliable with CCI MaxiMag's? Or, would it be best to forget about it?
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

45Auto,
    They are a fun gun, even if they tend to hiccup sometimes. I enjoy the heck out of mine despite its faults. I find that loading 25 rounds in the mag vs. 30 helps it to cycle better at the start. I also have the AMT Automag 3 that fires .30 carbine rounds. It has never failed me once, and you can put 8 rounds out of it very quickly! This is really a well-built, fun gun that gets its share of looks at the range.
    Old Gun Guy
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The only problem with the Grendels is that they are too light to make good boat anchors.

Jim
  7. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Jim,
    Your boat is too heavy! LOL!
    Old Gun Guy
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

STOP the engine(s) and/or drop the sails before applying anchor. HAPPY 4th - remember our heritage.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I had a Grendel in a 380 for about a week. The only reason why I had it is because the guy gave it to me for free. So make your own conclusion ;)
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Isn't the guy that built the Grendel the same guy that owns Kel-Tec? I think his original attempt(the Grendel) was the inspiration for the new PMR-30 in 22 mag.Somebody set me straight if I'm mistaken.
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The guy's name is George Kelgren. He is currently the owner of Kel-Tec and designed the Grendel before starting Kel-Tec. It seems he has improved his design or perhaps the engineers he hired at start-up of KT were/are a bit more savy.
    A couple years back, some of the designers and production employees of Kel-Tec broke away and started SKKY/SCCY Inc. and produced an "advanced" version of the KT P-11. They spiffed up the outer frame a slide config and added a slide mounted manual safety. We sold a bunch, but there was a bunch of problems with them. Don't know, without doing research which I'm not in the mood for right now, if they're still in business.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  12. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

45Auto,
    Keltec is currently manufacturing a .22 Mag pistol designated as the PMR-30. It has a 30 round magazine like the Grendel, and alot more features. You might look into one of these. BTW, I might just sell my "boat anchor" and buy one of these. I love the under-rated .22 magnum round. A 30 round mag loaded with .22 WMR hollow points is a devastating weapon.
    Old Gun Guy

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

A POI - I know 2 gents who have purchased the PMR-30. I've handled one of them - but not fired one. BOTH owners report that they had multiple jamming and feeding issues with the first 6 or 7 rounds when the mags were loaded to max. cap. BOTH also reported the issues were minimized or eliminated by loading 'only' 25 rounds in the mag. Both are still fairly new (bought within the past 2 to 3 months) and have not had extensive numbers of rounds thru them. My opinion - very nicely made and configured pistols - large size but very light weight because of all the polymer over coating. I like the concept. I was always tempted by the old AMT Mag 2 (?) .22 WMRF pistols - but put off by the multitude of issues with those pieces.
  14. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

This has been an intersting discussion about a pistol I was not familure with.

I'll watch and learn for a while before I consider buying a PMR 30. I fully agree that the concept of a pistol shooting 30 rounds of .22 mag. is interesting. But it seems that people are still working out the bugs and so it might not be the best time to buy right now.
  15. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

From what I've been following, the original barrels went out with the wrong twist, causing some keyholing issues. They are replacing them now. The early ones had fluted barrels, these are the ones being replaced. I don't know if they recalled them or are just replacing the ones sent in for repair. The new, correct twist ones , no longer have fluted barrels.