Grief with a Remington 572

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by searcher5, Jun 3, 2004.

1. searcher5

searcher5 New Member

A friend of mine had a Remington model 572 Fieldmaster, serial # 1465*** with a broken forearm. He wanted me to order him a new one. I did, and he told me that it, too, broke the first time he shot it.
    Turns out, he clamped it in a vice to sight it in, and the action wasn’t locking and it broke the forearm when the slide blew back. He asked me if I’d look at it, and since I owed him a few favors and couldn’t think that it was anything major, I said I would. The first thing I did was clean it thoroughly, thinking that this would probably get it, as it was filthy. It broke the forearm that I had just repaired again. I took it apart, and compared it to the schematics in the Numrich catalog. It was missing the locking bar assembly, and the disconnector was broken and put in upside down. I replaced both the locking bar, fitting it in, and the disconnector. I repaired the forearm again. It seemed to lock OK, but on the 3rd or 4th shot, it didn’t lock and broke the forearm again. Back to the drawing board again. I go over this thing with a fine tooth comb. It is spotlessly clean, every part is there, and the only place I see any slop is in the trigger plate assembly. I replace it and the action bar, just to be safe, and it seemed to work better than ever. I repair the forearm again, cycle the action about 100 times, it works perfect. 3rd or 4th shot it breaks the forearm again. I pull it down again. It seems like there is nothing to keep the locking bar in place, and it tips to the side a bit, allowing it to disconnect prematurely. I cannot for the life of me see what would keep the locking bar from tipping. It rides on the pointed tip of a set-type screw that goes through a hole in the locking bar, and seems to be held in place by the disconnector, but it isn’t holding it, obviously. I have talked to Numrich, and it is the new model, according to them, and I am using the correct schematic, also according to them. They have no idea why it is doing what it is doing. Any thoughts here would be a breath of fresh air, as I now have more in this rifle than it’s worth, and it still doesn’t work. My friend just wants his rifle to work, regardless of the cost. (To a point, I’m sure.) I am about ready to send it to someone a lot brighter than me to look at it. Any input would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks! Dan
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Are you sure the gun is not firing out of battery? In other words, are you sure the forend is all the way forward and the action locked before firing?
  3. searcher5

searcher5 New Member

This thing definately had the capabilities to fire out of battery when I first got it. It would drop the firing pin with the action half open. It don't do that any more after replacing the parts and cleaning. It just isn't locking right. It seems to lock until you fire live ammo. You can feel it pop the action open, and drive the slide back maybe 1/2 inch. After it has done this with live fire, it won't lock right being manually operated, either. The locking bar seems to shift out of place, slightly to one side. It looks to me like there is no way for this locking bar to stay in place, but I see no other way to assemble it. It is assembled according to the schematics from Numrich. Does this locking bar just ride on the stud that protrudes from the stock bolt hole and the disconnector in the trigger assembly? It doesn't seem to me like enough support, but it seems to be all that there is. I feel like this area is where the problem is. I appreciate any and all advice and experience. Thanks, guys!
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The locking bar does index on the retaining screw and is held to the side of the receiver by the trigger plate assembly. It is pushed upward behind the bolt by its spring and is cammed out of position by the rearward motion of the action bar.

I will take a 572 receiver apart tomorrow and shoot some pics that will help.
  5. ThomasWaite

ThomasWaite New Member

I am having the exact same problems with my 572 field master locking bar. Can you help?
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Sure. The bar is not lifting up high enough to completely engage the bolt. There are several possible reasons for this, most of which are in the trigger plate assembly. Have you ever had the trigger plate assembly apart?
  7. ThomasWaite

ThomasWaite New Member

I have removed the trigger assembly from the receiver but I have not taken it apart. I pulled the locking bar out of it's position to clean it and did not pay attention to the position of the locking bar spring so I am not sure where the two ends of the spring are supposed to be positioned.
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

9. ThomasWaite

ThomasWaite New Member

I watched the video but the guy did not remove the locking bar from the receiver. I paused the video at the reassembly point that showed the inside of the receiver before inserting the trigger assembly to try to see the position of the locking bar spring but it was not clear enough to identify it. Is the end of the spring that has a hook on it supposed to fit into a slot somewhere?
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The top arm goes under the locking bar, the bottom arm is tensioned up by the trigger plate so that the locking bar springs up behind the bolt when the action is closed.

[​IMG]
  11. ThomasWaite

ThomasWaite New Member

I think I finally figured it out. At least it is now functioning properly. The hooked end of the spring goes into a small hole or depression in the top of the receiver behind a raised crossmember of the top of the receiver. Then holding the locking bar in place on the stud and locked behind the bolt, I hooked the small end of the spring and pulled it up into place underneath the locking bar. Reassembled the trigger mechanism and everything is working properly. Thanks for your help.
  12. DeerSlayer35

DeerSlayer35 New Member

I had the same problem. The spring does go into the depression as ThomasWaite mentioned.
    See the attached picture. Also, the screw at the bottom of the barrel has an eccentric barrel around it. This adjusts the bolt lock up spacing and takes a spanner wrench to hols in place while tightening the barrel screw. This is the primary cause of the lock bar not engaging. Shown is the eccentric barrel next to the boss for the screw. Most of the guns I work on the owner will over tighten this screw and force the barrel back into the lower receiver too far. spring in detent.jpg lock bar adjust.jpg