Grip Safety suggestions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/23/01 9:44:58 am)
    Reply Grip Safety suggestions...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thinking of rebuilding the "warhorse" again.

I use an "extended" grip safety, but NOT a "Beavertail," kinda square under the regular hammer.

It "digs" when I carry IWB now, and of course, 20 years ago it was "chic" to "deactivate" the grip safety as per the "guru" Jeff Cooper, now I think I appreciate a working grip safety since I now carry it, not just for competition...plus "liability"....old JB and the Army maybe DID know better than JC...

What is a good grip safety to fit, keeping in mind I hate the looks and feel of those "cute" feminine Beavertails on a working gun...

I'm even considering a "stock" grip safety with a Commander hammer this rebuild...

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 10:37:19 pm)
    Reply Re: Grip Safety suggestions...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    believe it was a Wilson part, 100% DROP-IN.

it's huge, has depth and width, and the raised rib at the bottom, to ensure positive activation and 'grip memory'. Used it in IPSC for about a dozen matches, liked it.
    Previously had a callous / raw spot where the narrower original tang rubbed.

Edited by: rayra at: 10/23/01 11:39:14 pm

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/25/01 8:50:25 pm)
    Hey Rayra,! A man after my own heart!

I first built mine with a Pachmayr flat mainspring housing in '82, but it just didn't feel right in my big hands...

...bought a parkerized arched military, with the lanyard loop for a song at a show JUST to try it of course for "a couple of weeks" during the season back in 83 or 84...

...almost 20 years later I STILL have that arched housing with the loop on it...

What kind of hammer is that?

I'm thinking of buying a McCormick commander hammer and matched sear...used to be fun doing my own trigger jobs, but I've heard they give a decent 4-5lb pull just drop in....and don't have to worry about finding my sear jig...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 10/25/01 9:53:10 pm

gunny6
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/25/01 10:05:20 pm)
    I`ve used quite a few McCormick prepped hammer and sear sets, they do in fact come out well, nice crisp pull, easy job. They are MIM parts which some folks don`t like, but I have`nt had any trouble with them yet..if you do decide to dress them up alittle you`ll find that they are very hard parts....

Smoky14
    (11/28/01 10:55:39 am)
    Does someone make a grip safety that does NOT require grinding on the frame but still offers protection from hammer bite. I'd like the option of returning the 1911 to mil spec if I so desire.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (11/28/01 11:35:57 am)
    Smoky, Wilson Combat makes a drop-in beavertail grip safety. No grinding or fitting. Blued or stainless. Need one ?
    shooter45_us@yahoo.com

Smoky14
    (11/28/01 2:03:40 pm)
    Do I get that from Wilson direct or through some other outlet?

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (11/29/01 12:20:26 am)
    You can order direct from Wilson Combat or from Tri-State Shooter's Supply. ( me )

BlackGun
    (11/29/01 4:39:13 pm)
    I buy all of my, Wilson, McCormick and Wolf products through Tri State Shooter Supply. Ya can't beat the owner for fast dependant, reliable and courtious service! Just my .02 worth
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Smoky14
    (11/29/01 6:02:22 pm)
    OK.OK Beat me up just a little. Just where do I get in touch with Tri-State shooter supply.
    What is their web site? Do they have a catalog?
    Are you really sure about the owner

BlackGun
    (11/29/01 8:20:25 pm)
    PHIL You can contact the owner of Tri State Shooter's Supply by e-mail. His name is Sam. shooter45_us@yahoo.com

Trust me! He will do you right! I have three custom .45's and two long guns toteing his parts, and parts on the way.

You ask if I'm sure about this guy! "I'm So sure about him, that I'll pay for your part, if your not happy
    My word is like gold! You can take it to the bank!

No Catalog
    No WebSite

He can save you the extra high cost of those luxuries that you the consumer, pay for.

By the way, Sam is The Senior Chief Moderator for The Firearms Forum
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/29/01 8:35:09 pm

Smoky14
    (11/29/01 9:33:31 pm)
    Wow what a deal...I've never been happy

tuckerd1
    (11/29/01 9:36:37 pm)
    BlackGun, Open mouth, insert foot! LOL!

Seriously Smoky, Sam is a great guy! He'll fix you up right.

BlackGun
    (11/30/01 1:16:52 pm)
    Boy! Did I open a can of worms
    BlackGUN