Grip screw dillema

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Munch, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Munch

Munch Member

2. Munch

Munch Member

3. Munch

Munch Member

The grips are nowhere near the quality of Woodnut's, but, it was my first attempt at it. Woodnut, THANK YOU, you inspired me to try something that I really had a lot of fun doing. I hope to someday be half as skilled as you.
  4. Munch

Munch Member

Just messing around I measured the 3 remaining screws, The one posted above is a different length that the others. I'm thinking that someone may have replaced the screws at some point. The terminal end of the threads are NOT cut straight, is this normal?
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Depending on the depth of the holes in the grips, Star grip screws may have to be trimmed to keep them from dragging on the magazine.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sorry munch I missed this post. I just drilled out the factory screw holes and tapped them with a 1911 grip screw bushing tap. Installed the bushings and then made templates for the grips.

Hardest part was inletting the back side of the left grip panel for the plunger tube assembly. But I got er done and she looks good with white corian grips on it.

Woodnut also inspired me to make these grips. Hes got that effect on people. ;)

Attached Files:

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

As to the conversion working for the star. Maybe. depends how much meat is left for the grip with the bigger hole for the bushing. The Star grip screws are much further apart than the Llama.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Got a couple more shots with better light.

Attached Files:

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And I re-measured the screws in MM too.

Attached Files: