Grip suggestions needed on SW Model 19 357

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by garydude, Apr 26, 2011.

1. garydude

garydude Member

I have a model 19-4 357 Smith and Wesson that has the original wood grips. When shooting 357 magnum loads the two pieces of wood become slightly offset from each other. I have tightened them down as far as I can, but to no avail. (It only has one central screw right in the middle of the grip) It's a minor annoyance, and I really do like the look of the wood grips, but I am now considering another style.

Any recommendations as to how to fix my wood grips, or any recommendations on some other type of grips?

Thanks in Advance!
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

For pure comfort while shooting heavy magnum loads it's hard to beat a set of Pachmayr rubber grips. They absorb the recoil and keep the gun from twisting around in your hand. I have them installed on virtually all my pistols from .22 to .357 Mag. I understand what you're saying about the wood grips though, they DO look nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  3. garydude

garydude Member

Thanks Snakedriver,

The Pachmayr grips truly don't detract from the look of your Smith; still a mighty handsome pistol.

Let me ask, are they pretty easy to install?
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It's as easy as unscrewing the screw on your existing grips, slipping on the Pachmayrs and then reinserting the screw. They are custom made for each pistol, so no fitting is required. The whole process takes maybe 5-minutes if you take your time, with no special skills or tools required. :cool:
  5. garydude

garydude Member

Nice. Sounds about right for my skill set.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There should be a roll pin through the frame at the bottom of the grip and corresponding holes in the wood grips (and any other grip you put on) to keep the grips from twisting.

If that pin is missing, you can easily replace it, just make sure it is the right height for the holes in the grips.

Jim
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to using Pachmayrs. All of my shooting K-frames wear Pachmayr's open back Gripper grips. They work for me.
  8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Another +1 for Pachmayr's. I really like their decellerator style for magnum revolvers. I really prefer Pach's as they cover the backstrap where Hogue's do not...
  9. steve666

steve666 New Member

+1 to the roll pin advice. I like Hogue wood grips and have them on my S&W. Besides fitting well and feeling good in the hand they look terrific. The Hogue rubbber grips aren't bad either.
    [​IMG]
  10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

To Pachmayr's credit they have Gripper models that have both types of designs where the backstrap can be covered or not. I like the full coverage type in magnums so that they can help absorb the recoil more effectively.

Steve666: The Hogue wood grips ARE very good looking! :cool:
  11. garydude

garydude Member

Jim nailed it! Indeed there is a roll pin but in my revolver it had worked it's way onto one side only, leaving the other side to twist with heavy recoil. I managed to beat the pin so it was centered, and tried it out today. Totally resolved the issue.

As a side note, before we went shooting today I did buy some Pachmayr grips to try out. I could only get the ones with the back strap exposed, and I didn't find them as much to my liking as the original wood grips. I will try to get the other ones, like Snakedrivers' and give them a try.

Thanks all for your help!
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  12. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I like both Hogue and Pachmayr, though the latter makes a larger grip that would suit me best on the model 19. That model is not built to withstand the higher chamber pressure of any cartridge containing a bullet weighing less than 158 grains, and I need the largest handle on the gun available in order to control it effectively. Besides, using an aftermarket rubber grip helps keep the wooden grip stocks nice so you can sell the gun someday.
  13. ozo

ozo Active Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012