Grips?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Evenflow, May 13, 2009.

1. Evenflow

Evenflow New Member

Where is the best place to get grips from? I have standard black on my S&W but I want to get some rosewood ones. As well, how does everyone feel about slide stop extensions as I have relatively small hands and can't always reach the slide stop release with my thumb.
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

If you have small hands, it might be wise to check into the slim carry grips. All you have to do is change the bushings and screws.

Hope this helps.
    Carl
  3. Evenflow

Evenflow New Member

I thought the grips were just regularly held onto the gun by torx/hex nuts? how involved is it changing regular grips?
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

very easy. remove the grips. you'll see the bushing ... this is the part the grip screws screw into. the bushing is screwed into the grip frame. the bushings have slots for a screw driver. remove the bushings and get a set of low profile bushings,grip screws and a thinner grip. brownells will have everything you need as will kingsgunworks as well as alot of others.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, If you've got small paws those slim grips will help out some.
    I've got a set of Chip McCormick slim grips. They're checkered Rosewood and look really nice on my tu-tone Springfield. The McCormick grips come with the new bushings and screws that you'll need to mount them. I got mine from Midway, but Brownells has em too.

As for the extended slide-stops...
    I personally don't care for them but I know some guys do. I've seen cases where the extra mass of that little extension can sometimes cause issues with the slide not locking open on the last shot every time...especially if your mag springs aren't full-strength. But then again, if that's the case, maybe switching mags will help too.
    Being a southpaw, I usually slingshot the slide to release it anyway since otherwise I either have to use my trigger finger to operate the release or I'd have to switch to an ambi lever.
  6. Woodnut

This is a set of Slim Carry Ambrosia that I whittled out some time ago. The thickness on a standard grip is about .250, and the Slim Carry is just over 1/8 of an inch, or close to .140.

Attached Files:

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Woodnut, those are some beautiful grips!! Looks like too many holes, though.

Evenflow, I have seen hundreds of grips on ebay and some of the gun auction sites.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would recommend buying grips from woodnut. You can look at his grips and see the pride he takes in his work.
  9. Woodnut

The extra holes are for the main spring pin. It can be slotted, square cut or have the holes such as this pair shown. It's all a matter of preference.

JLA Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for looking.
    Carl
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. Evenflow

Evenflow New Member

I was thinking of getting these straight from S&W for $40

[​IMG]

There not the slim like the ones recommended though.

Wood, how close could you get to making those exact same grips except in slimline? They dont need to have the medallion.
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  11. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Evenflow,
    Check out this thread for oodles of examples of Woodnut's handiwork.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47242

I've been eying whittling out a set of custom grips myself...I think either Ironwood or Kingwood would look great on the stainless frame of my Springfield. I'd have to hire out the checkering though...or do a few dozen scales for practice. Checkering is one skill I've not mastered.
  12. Woodnut

Thanks for posting my link.

Anytime you want to start your grips and if you need any tips of any kind, I will be glad to walk you through whatever it is. I can also give you some tips on checkering with hand tools, not electric.
    Thanks again.
    Carl
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I saw that thread when it was being done, and thanks for posting it again, binder. Woodnut, you make some beautiful grips. I had a set of imitation ivory ones scrimshawed several years ago for a Colt Officers Model, I sure miss that pistol.

Have you every worked with something like stag? I know they would eat your hand up when fired, though.
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Properly worked stag won't hurt your hand at all.
  15. Woodnut

I have used Stag for knife handles and it is smooth to the hand when properly sanded and worked. I have done my dead level best to find some stag that is wide enough to cut our a set of blanks without having too much radius. I haven't had any luck yet. I can get Sandbar Stag, but I don't like it nearly as well as the regular stag. I think its going to take a very large rack, maybe Mule Deer, or Elk to get what I want. I hate to order something without looking at it, I tried that several years ago and really got burnt. :eek: So I don't think I will try that again. If some one has the stag that is big enough for grips, I would be glad to do the work for you.