Grips?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Evenflow, May 13, 2009.

1. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Elk antler is what you want. It's available on Ebay.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Woodnut. I have what I think is an elk antler that was given to me several years ago, but someone cut off the lower part (4 to 6 inches I guess). I would be willing it to send to you if we can work out a deal on a set of grips for a Taurus 1911, if you can get a wide enough piece to make some. PM me if interested
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I just ran across some Ivory blanks. These blanks are elephant pre ban ivory and are supposed to be extra nice. If any one is interested, You can PM me. I would like to build a set of grips for the 1911 using Ivory. I have worked ivory years ago, but it has been a long time. This sounds like some really nice pieces, but expensive as usual.
    It is very hard to find Ivory that is large enough to make grips out of.
  4. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

try WOODGRIPS.COM They will have what you want in Rosewood or any other type wood & in the thinner grips also
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Wouldn't moose or caribou both have wide enough sections for grips?
    Both are pretty plentiful in Alaska, and I am quite sure I have seen sections wide enough for 1911 grips on almost any of their racks -
    But I don't know SQUAT about carving them, so there may be some reason they are unsuitable -
  6. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

ampaterry:

I just checked ebay for Caribou Antlers. They have plenty, but way too expensive. If you were to consider the waste you would have, it is almost as high as the Ivory, if not higher. Saw one set that was $1,200.00. To rich for my blood.
    I am not sure how much of the thickness is usable. Usually in the center of the antlers it gets really porous, and reaches out toward the surface. When the surface is sanded off, it is best not to see these pours. I would just have to hold one in my hand to see if it would work, but at these prices, this is not going to happen. :D
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Carl