1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

grit in the bore?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by firelegs22, Feb 4, 2011.

1. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

After shooting my Mosin nagant I thought i had cleaned it really well. After an old t-shirt and a bottle and a half of hoppes 9, the patches were coming out clean. So i let the solvent that might have been left in the bore evaporate, and i lightly swabbed it with some Outers gun oil. now I have this grit in the barrel. it seems to be stuck:[​IMG]

Sorry for the blurry picture, my camera got dropped in the ocean three years ago and hasnt worked the same since:rolleyes:
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It looks like dust or lint. did you place the muzzle on the floor to swab it with the outers???
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just got back from the range and had to clean my Mosin. At the range, I use the cleaning rod and use a few patchs doused with Windex that I added mucho ammonia. Then I run some dry patches through it and then a couple of patches doused with CLP. When I get home I do a good cleaning with Hoppes then CLP. I end up using a boresnake to complete the cleaning. This works well if done while sipping a beer or two. Or three. End result, no salts in the barrel, no boogies in the barrel.

EDIT: It looks like you are using corrosive ammo. It will leave salts stuff in the barrel if you dont rid the barrel of corrosives by using either water, or Windex, which is my choice. I do it at the range so if in case I cant clean it that day I might not get those barrel boogies that you show in your pic. The ammonia is for cleaning copper fouling, the windex/water is to neutralize the salts that you get with old mil surplus ammo. Or something like that.:confused::)
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

As GunClinger said. It appears to be caused by corrosive ammo. Have to clean with soapy hot water or Windex to dissolve the salts.
  5. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

ok, i'll give amonia a try. Thanks for the input!
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Windex gets rid of salts and the ammonia helps with copper fouling. I just add more ammonia to the windex.