Ground Hog HUnting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by bluegoose11, Jun 28, 2004.

1. bluegoose11

bluegoose11 New Member

I have seen GHD`S posts of his groundhog hunting pictures. We don`t have groundhogs here in Kansas, and I was wondering how are they hunted? We coyote hunt here with calls, is any thing similar used to call ground hogs?
    We Prairie Dog hunt here, but with the size of groundhogs I am sure they are not in colonies.Or is it just a matter of being at the right place at the right time to find them? Just curious about a varmint we don`t have here.
    Was gonna ask GHD but haven`t seen him post the last few days. ALso could anyone post a good picture of one, possibly a close up? Told my grandson about them, but didn`t know how to describe them to him. I appreciate any help .
  2. toolmaniam

toolmaniam New Member

The way we usually do it here in Ohio is to find a fresh groundhawg hole and set up a ways from it and wait for the critter to come out. You can also go to a soybean field and set up and more than likely you'll find one munching away. They try not to wander too far away from their holes so they can get in it when threatened.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Here's one I found on the 'net:

Attached Files:

4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

And here's the most famous groundhog of all: Punxsutawney Phil.

Attached Files:

5. Mabooger

Mabooger New Member

I hope GHD does respond. :p
    His picture of the one he shot has a snuff can holding it's head up for the picture.
  6. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

I saw one of his pics of a g-hog that had a hole bigger than a snuff can in it :eek: Must have been using the 6mm :D
  7. groundhogdevastation

groundhogdevastation New Member

No they are not subject to being called in. We just find a good observation point and set up and watch and glass the area until we see one then try to airmail an invitation home to them. Alfalfa fields, hay fields in general, bean fields, stream banks, rock outcroppings.......all usually have a varmint or two around them. I'll try to post a pic or two of some that have ventured out of the den one time too many! GHD

Attached Files:

8. bluegoose11

bluegoose11 New Member

Thanks everyone GHD I was hoping you were hiding somewhere close by looked for your posts last few days Figured you had some good pictures did you tell him chewing was bad for his health :D
  9. groundhogdevastation

Chewing on my alfalfa was deadly for that one! :D :D The headless groundhog was trying to stop an 87 grain VMax with his teeth at 365 yards and the one next to him had a 32 grain VMax from a 204 thru the left eyeball at 180 yards......that's the right eyeball on his cheek! The alfalfa eater was victim of the 204 at 323 yards and the "saber toothed" groundhog fell to the 17HMR! GHD
  10. Mateomasfeo

Mateomasfeo New Member

GHD

That last pic is really something. What did you do, skid to a stop on him with your truck?

I like the eye hanging out of the socket. Very poignant...
  11. groundhogdevastation

Mateomasfeo, If you liked the "eyeballs" here's one for you! It's Sarah(Miss GHD) with one she sent a 17HMR round into his left ear at 100 yards! You get a "double eye popping" event with that hit! GHD

Attached Files:

12. Mateomasfeo

Mateomasfeo New Member