Ground Walnut at PetCo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Sep 25, 2011.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I wish I knew why gdmoody had that crud build-up. Maybe it was worn out dirty media. I always have pieces of dryer sheets or paper shop towels or cotton cleaning patches that I cut from old shirts. Never had a problem with nu-finish and cob.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It was very very old worn out media. I got rid of the old media and opened up a new container of Lyman Green. In the past couple of days I have tumbled .308, .380. and .38 spec brass. I didn't remember that new media will clean brass in 4 hours or less where the old stuff took 12 to 24 hours:rolleyes: :D .
  3. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

petco is where i got mine and i have probably cleaned 2500 .223, 5000 .40 and around 3000 9mm and still using the same container of media, i put a couple pieces of dryer sheets in every other load or too to get rid of the dust. as well as add a couple capfuls of nufinish every 3rd or fourth load.
  4. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Mine come out clean and very shiny in 1.5 to 2 hours.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am so used to it taking 12 to 24 that I don"t remember to check it at 2 hours.:eek: It probably is clean at 1.5 to 2.:rolleyes:
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I tried that green and i did not think it cleans as well as the Rough (RED stuff) That Rough is good but it does leave the brass a dull look. how ever it does only take an hour and last forever. 3 years and if i had to guess over 200,000 casses and still going. I do however send it through a polish cycle in just corn cob with brasso (no lid this lets out the ammona so it will not make the brass brittle) for an 1/2 hour and presto it shines.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I buy my walnut and corncob media from an industrial supply store that sells media for sandblasting in the construction industry. 50# bag for about $15. Sorry I don't remember exactly what I paid but it was considerably cheaper than harbor freight.
  8. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I have recently switched to this, I have also began using red rouge compound and mineral spirits to treat the media. I am getting my brass clean in much less time. Even the black powder cartridges, come out cleaner.

Sorry Springbuster didn't mean to step on your post.

The corn cob media I bought at Southern States and I am sure any farm type co-op has in stock. The walnut media may also be picked up at a sandblasting supply place much cheaper than the gunshops. I am a tight a$$
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011