Grrr.. No more Wolf for me!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruger270man, Jan 9, 2005.

1. ruger270man

ruger270man New Member

Had 4 FTF's today in my SAR-1, and I just cleaned it last week.. (maybe thats the problem ;) ... one of the FTF's was the last round of the last clip of the day, good thing I just didnt assume the chamber was empty!

look at this crap..

[​IMG]

So whats some cheap 7.62 that wont bleed this russian juice all over my gun??
  2. roboman

roboman New Member

You speak blasphemy good sir! First you CLEAN an AK-47 and then you speak lowly of Wolf! I just checked my bolt and have had none of those problems.

I'll take your leftover wolf if you don't want it!

[​IMG]
  3. ruger270man

ruger270man New Member

hmm.. ill admit, I never actually took out the firing pin to clean.. im gonna do that now..

hell, I'll stick with wolf, its cheap..
  4. roboman

roboman New Member

Excellent. Now you're speaking sensibly again.

If you must leave the covenant of the Wolf then I recommend Barnaul. Still steel-cased and Russian but without all the unsubstantiated complaints of lacquer that Wolf has.
  5. ruger270man

ruger270man New Member

its the primer sealant that leaves the red mess
  6. roboman

roboman New Member

The same substance is on the rear of the bullets as well.
  7. Rugster

Rugster New Member

Seliier & Bellot makes good 7.62 x39 ammo at a descent price Ive got a ton of it put back.Its pretty accurate as well.

Best!!
  8. Bigtire

Bigtire New Member

You get what you pay for.

I stopped buying any type of coated ammo long ago. Just too many problems with the crap. If you shoot more than 50 rounds of the crap, especially rapid fire, it really gums up the bolt and chamber. Some cheap loose tollerance guns might be able to handle it, but shoot that stuff in a high quality firearm and you're just asking for trouble. Heck, I'd rather shoot corrosive ammo than that wolf crap.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I tested some of the new polymere coated Wolf .223 in the ARs and it performes great, I wouldn't touch the old laquer coated stuff...

I'd have to look but I know they stopped putting the red sealant around the bullet/case mouth, not sure about the primer.

The power level compared to XM193 and M855 is noticeably less, but theyre cranking out a good plinking round now in .223

Crpdeth
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  10. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

The Soviets and Germans pioneered the lacquer-coated steel cases (LSC) from war-time necessity (and the US toyed with the idea, actually producing .45 ACP and .30 Carbine ammo with steel cases). Of necessity, most military firearms have more intrinsic tolerances than those built for sporting / target shooting. The LSC ammo worked fine in the military weapons. Your SAR is just too well made (stir, stir :D ) to tolerate a cartridge design originally developed for sloppy chambered spray and pray firearms (stirring some more!). Leave the LSC for robo and his SKS and use the good stuff for yourself (running as the hornets begin to buzz! :D ).
  11. richbug

richbug New Member

If you can find it, there was some Lapua surplus floating arround a couple years ago. True match quality stuff, and only 5X more expensive than the wolf, but worth every penny. Never had any trouble with lacquer.
  12. geezler

geezler New Member

I have several boxes of Wolf in 9mm. If it starts to gum up my gun I will either toss it or remove the coating and put on a light coat of oil. The short lived life of ammo around here does not require long term storage so i have no worry of case/round damage due to moisture etc.

All i can say is if you keep shooting it carry a cleaning kit with you and watch for the build up. When it gets nasty-clean your rifle.
  13. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

The red sealant at the primer and neck is part of the original Soviet specifications for 7.62x39. Any mil-spec ammo is going to have that on it.
  14. Eagle Guns

Eagle Guns New Member

I've sold many cases of 7.62X39 ammo over the years and my favorite brand is my handloads.I don't care how cheap the store bought stuff is. :)
  15. gbeggrow

gbeggrow New Member