GRUNT

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/21/02 10:59:39 am)
    GRUNT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just what is a Grunt anyway .....

The average age of the Grunt is 19 years. He is a short haired,
    tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society
    as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, but old enough to die
    for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax
    his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment
    either.
    He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student,
    pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has
    a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to
    be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and
    roll or jazz or swing and 155mm Howitzers. He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now
    than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn
    to well after dusk.
    He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can
    field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less. He can recite
    to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either
    one effectively if he must. He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply
    first aid like a professional. He can march until he is told to stop or stop
    until he is told to march. He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation,
    but he is not without spirit or individual dignity.
    He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of utilities: he washes one and wears
    the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets
    to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals,
    mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you're thirsty, he'll share
    his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his
    ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low. He has learned
    to use his hands like weapons and his weapons like they were his hands. He
    can save your life -- or take it, because that is his job.
    He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still
    find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he
    should have in his short lifetime. He has stood atop mountains of dead
    bodies, and helped to create them. He has wept in public and in private, for
    friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed. Just as did his Father,
    Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom.
    Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the American Fighting Man that has
    kept this country free for over 200 years. He has asked nothing in return,
    except our friendship and understanding. Remember him, always, for he has
    earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

HE IS A GRUNT!

Author unknown ...

Six

"Landscape Developement ..... RVN '67-'68"

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (10/21/02 4:08:57 pm)
    Re: GRUNT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gunner, that was OUTSTANDING---!!! I sent it around this morning and already have had replies back about it---especially from the Moms---Doctor Bergmans's wife over in Houston claimed it was the best she had seen in ages---wish I could have claimed its orgin. You know Marine, we just must try to write more for the folks---hell, even though most never touch back with us, just stop for a bit and you'll hear from them, loud and clear---if you claim to some you got 'writers-block', the unique phrase they usually come up with is, "GET OVER IT, APPLE ASS---IF I WANT TO HEAR ANY WHINING, I'LL JUST LEAVE THE TOILET SEAT UP, CUZ YA PROBABLY SQUAT TO PEE"!!! I got to shake some cobwebs loose---depart a bit from the truth---gussie the facts up a bit and lead these Happy Wanderers down the primrose path to the everlasting bonfires!!! Wilborn

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/02 9:37:51 am)
    Ya certainly have a way wif dem words Chief ....

Very eloquently put sir ...

Six

"Landscape Developement ..... RVN '67-'68"

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/25/02 12:13:57 am)
    Six, good post!

Now, let's just find out how you guys can work some magic by putting those "eloquently" put words into a story...lol

Hope
  2. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Outstanding story..........I was a Grunt.
  3. Hope 69/70

Hope 69/70 New Member

Kimber Man, we would be pleased if you would share a few of your memories with us.

Hope
  4. Well, I could spell . . . but all the rest describes a young man I once knew quite well indeed, some 35 years ago, in a green hellhole called Viet Nam, in what seems today like another universe entirely. A beautifully written piece, Admin. Hauntingly so. I wonder sometimes, will it ever really change?
  5. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Hope 69/70

In regards to share a few of my memories..... I'm a very private person and I really don't talk about any of my memories because most of them I don't want to remember. The Just what is a Grunt story.... made me think of when I was young and foolish. Thank you for sharing that with me. I printed it out and I'm going to frame it to remind me of that time in my life.
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Yes they deserve our respect, for were would we be without them.
  7. Yeah, I know too well what you mean, bro. That's why I don't usually follow this forum. It brings back too many things I'd like to forget.
  8. Hope 69/70

Hope 69/70 New Member

Gentlemen:

I offer my appology to any one of you gentlemen that I may have offended by my request.

When you come to the VMBB, any and all requests for your thoughts are respectfully requested, we do not mean to bring up anything that you are not comfortable with talking about. We do not push nor do we mean to pry where we don't belong. I am sure there are not many of us that do not carry a scar in one way or another in our memories and hearts from Nam. Some just more so then others.

Thanks for posting and....Welcome Home!

Hope
  9. user_error

user_error New Member

Thank God for the Man who freed us, and God bless the men who keep us free.
  10. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Hope 69/70

Hope,
    I wasn't not offended and you don't have to offer your appology for anything.

It's just something I don't talk about. I was in the Marines for 7 1\2 yrs and was a Grunt for most of my time. I am disabled from the service . my nickname is either hop along or one leg and some peolpe call me an old Goat. what ever you want ( Ha! Ha! ) I have learned to live with it.

Please don't feel you offended anyone at all. Just treat me like one of the guys.

"SEMPER FI"
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  11. Hope, you offended no one. The memories of that experience never truly go away for anyone who was there and saw combat, or the results of it. Even the funny times are hard to remember because they always seem associated with incidents--or more often, people--painful to recall. That's just life, I suppose. We are all prisoners of our experiences.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2005
  12. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Pistolenschutze

That was very well put. That's True to the tee. I really hope that no one was hurt by anything also. I come here to read sometimes and the Grunt story was outstanding and I'm going to frame it and read it once in a while.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Thanks to you folks for your posts.

Hope, I've said this before here, There is no need of apologies here. If some gets upset we mods can gang up on'em and hurt them bad! (Just Joking Folks)

We all have had our feelings wounded before and have all recovered with some effort. But as these folks have all said, no hurt feelings and no sore toes so your apology is accepted but entirely unneccesary for you have offended no one here.

Merry Christmas!!
  14. Hope 69/70

Hope 69/70 New Member

Kimber Man.......thank you for your reply and I am glad we still have you around to call an "Old Goat"........lol

Pistolenschutze, good to have you on board. I and the others on here know of what you are trying to say about the memories of our experiences. I don't know about anyone else but as for myself, the good memories seem to be fading and a few of the ones I wish to forget seem to linger. Perhaps age will take over one day and it will all fade........just wishful thinking.

So now that you two are on board.........did I tell you there is guard duty, latrine duty, and falling out at 0400 to begin your day? lol

Merry Christmas
  15. :eek: :eek: :eek: But Sarge, it's Kimber Man's turn for the latrines! :rolleyes:
  16. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Hope 69/70 & Pistolenschutze

I hope I live long enought to forget my past with age ????? ( I'm 65 yrs. old now, How long do I have to live....................I'm working on it.) It's pretty bad when people call you on the phone and ask your wife if they can talk to the old Goat. And as far as duty goes............I'm on mess duty now Pistolenschutze in a Navy mess hall ( They had the best food when I was in the service.)
    Forget about the marine's mess hall..........Shit on a shingle was the special of the day.

Pistolenschutze:
    Can I get a Kimber now ????? I have the rest ?????? I been collecting some nice guns for a while now and I try to take care of them . But I'm getting up there in age and my sons don't want anything to do with guns. Once in a while I let one of my babies go to a new home.
  17. You're a bit older than I, Kimber. I'm only 56, and still a spring chicken. ;) I haven't been able to forget though, and I doubt very much that I ever shall. I do hope you have better success than I've ever had. I celebrated my 21st birthday walking down a godforsaken trail in II Corps on an S&D as senseless as the rest of that war. It sometimes seems like my life after that has always consisted of continuing down that same idiot trail.

Well Kimber, they are Marines after all. What did you expect? :D Alas, I too still remember SOS, and those "delicious " Army C-rats. I can still taste the lima beans and pork in my nightmares. Canned horse.... was what I called that stuff. It would gag a maggot at a 1000 yards, except no self-respecting maggot would get that near to it!

OK, OK, get yourself a damned Kimber! Hell, if I win that lotto, I'll even buy you one. I hate to see a Marine cry. It gets their medals all rusty. :D I'm very fortunate in the passing-on-the-guns thingy. My son (who had the smarts to join the Navy instead of the Army!) has always been into the shooting sports. I may have had some slight influence on that, I suppose since he could qualify "Expert" with a .45 1911 before he ever joined the service. ;)

Merry Christmas, and always remember: Money spent for guns doesn't count on the final ledger. :p

--Rich
    2nd of the 7th of the 1st Cav, Air Mobile. Gary Owen, Bro.
  18. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Merry Christmas to Everyone..................

Pistolenschutze:

Thanks for letting me get another Kimber........I really don't need any more guns.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  19. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

BUUUUUTTTTTT Kimber Man we only caaaaaaalllllllllllll you an ooooolllllllddddd goaaaaaaaaaaaat with respect and love ;)
    Pete is my friend I shoot with him often and am proud to have been able to add him to my list of close friends. now if I could just get him to buy a real gun :p :p :p :p :p :D ;)
    No matter how hard we try nor how much we want the nightmares will be with us for ever. They come and they go but they never stay away for long.
    It ain't nothing but a thing and we just keep on keeping on that is the way we are made.
    God bless each and every one of our vets past, present and future. May they all come home! ONCE A GRUNT ALWAYS A GRUNT and DANG PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ron