GSG 1911 .22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by redwing carson, May 6, 2011.

1. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Just picked up a new GSG 1911 .22. I stripped it down tonite and cleaned and lubed the rails. Test fired it in the basement worked with out a hitch. Hoped to get it out to the range soon. I had Chiappi 1911 it was OK but not what I wanted. The GSG 1911 seems to be a nice .22. Dual safety sight replacements included. Where can I get some extra clips? Anyone using this pistol? Comments please.:D
  2. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have seen numerous offerings of them on &*(_$% and I have seen a few at various gun shows.

Seems like a pretty good 22 for the price BUT I have not so far been particularily impressed by the finish on them.

Let us know about your impressions of how it functions/shoots.

Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

My son gave me one for [last] Christmas. :D
    The mag is weighted. Both the .22 and .45 weigh the same.
    It is super sweet.......so much so, that MamaOzo has now
    deemed it her new range gun !!! :cool:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      99 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      129.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      119.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      130.6 KB
      Views:
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

5. ariggsd

ariggsd New Member

I have had this pistol for about 4 months now, and have put close to 3,000 rounds through it, everything from Remington bulk pack, to federal bulk, to mini mags, to "special purpose" rounds, and it was preformed flawlessly! one of the best .22's I've come across, BUT that being said I have had just a few issues with it such as: it still fires when the mag is out, but only if you pull the trigger to hard, and my recoil spring caught on the barrel bushing, causing the whole slide to completely lock up, but a quick snip with the wire cutters fixed that problem :) Over all its a great little gun, and since its a 1911 gov't model most accessories will work with it, just a little side note, I have actually been able to cycle .22 short CB's through mine LOL
  6. redwing carson

Thx men. I will be out on a live stock Range survey Sat. AM. I plan on some shooting with the 1911. After reading your reports I won't get much sleep tonite. I am a 1911 anything nut and it feels real. I was confused by the Insts. on field stripping. I found an insert which called for the allen screw removal. I am sure glad to hear it will handle different .22 rounds. The Giappi 1911 would only shoot Stingers. I may replace the sights with steel ones. I really like the full grip feels just right. I found a 500 brick of Winchester High Speed HPs for 15 bucks today so I am ready. I will let you know how it goes. THX PS Ozo our Ser.# are 1200 apart mine is higher.Good luck

RC
  7. ultramag44

ultramag44 Member

8. redwing carson

UM44 Thx much great article. I wonder you fellas that have put 100s down range have you had to replace the recoil pad?:)Good luck
    RC
  9. ultramag44

ultramag44 Member

These come from home depot. Good recoil pads. $0.78 per pack.

[​IMG]
  10. redwing carson

UM44 Thx again. Pardon all my questons. But how often do you need to replace these??:)Good luck

RC
  11. ultramag44

ultramag44 Member

Hi redwing carson,

replace the pads every couple of hundred rounds, or whenever they look ragged. They are cheap enough, keep a couple of packages in your range bag.
  12. redwing carson

Um44 Thx again you have been a fine resource on the 1911. I have been unable to get the gun out and shoot it. The weather is still rough started snowing again. It is 23 degrees an snowing like hell this AM. I may go down to Ogden,Ut. if I do I will get some of the washers. THX again :Dgood luck

RC
  13. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Man, I just wish I had a BASEMENT like that...:(
  14. CZTOP

CZTOP New Member

Here is what you have not heard. The slide and frame are made of cheap zinc and are very soft. There has been numerous parts breakage with this gun, which includes the barrel bushing, slide stop, guide rod, firing pin and safety. The soft zinc wears very fast especially at the slides cut out for the slide stop. The barrels muzzle cap is prone to loosening while firing and strips very easily (soft again) if you over tighten it. The screw in the side of the frame, which holds the barrel, is likewise. While several have said ATI is glad to send out a replacement barrel bushing, ATI told me on the phone they do not have an update program and will only replace parts that break. The slide stop has reportedly been revised three times and the guide rod has three versions as well. There has been a problem with the slide battering the frame from the beginning and there are at least several different versions of buffers incorporated on the guide rod to help prevent this. The finish is paint, which is about all you can do with zinc and it wears off very fast. Accuracy does not seem to be too good, although at least a few have reported good accuracy. The one I fired was not very good with about 3 1/2 groups at 13 yds. (Yes, I can shoot) so you be the judge. It does not feel exactly like a 1911, it feels similar, but light. On the plus side, it looks good, paint and all. It is readily adaptable for silencer use. The Muzzle cap which threads onto the barrel and rides in the barrel bushing like the barrel does on a real 1911, is replaced with an optional extended muzzle cap with external threads for the suppressor. However, the muzzle cap available from ATI has an oddball thread for German silencers so it is pretty much useless. You will need an aftermarket version (available) with the standard 1/2 thread for silencer use. All in all, a very nice looking, not very accurate, not very durable gun made of soft parts with mediocre accuracy at best. To me, its a nice gun that almost was.....
  15. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Yes, I would like to have a basement like that too.