GSG-5 Owners...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Ailoth, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Ailoth

Ailoth New Member

Hey all you GSG-5 Owners & Operators! I have had my GSG-5 (2nd gen) for a little over a year now, and I have to say it's a fun plinking gun. However, I am having some major problems with the firearm, and am wondering if this is as common as I think it is, as well as if there are any general remedies/mods that can be done to the gun/magazine/barrel to make it more reliable. So, on with the show...

My most common problem is a failure to load. I get terrible, TERRIBLE problems feeding from any other ammo besides Remmington's Yellow Jacket, and even then I still have problems feeding this ammo. Out of 1 clip (22rnds) I will have at least 1 failure to load (as in, the bolt moved forward but did not pick up a bullet) or at least 1 stove pipe that has jammed the bullet or case in an awkward position so I have to forcibly remove the jammed round out of the chamber/barrel.

Now... I thoroughly break down and clean the gun after every shoot. I don't think it's a dirt/grit problem in the chamber or barrel. I am noticing, however, that both of the magazines I have are slightly sticking about halfway down the magazine. This is probably why I am getting most of my failure to loads, but oftentimes I get stovepipes from a nearly empty magazine as often as I do a fully loaded or half-loaded magazine. I do often completely disassemble the magazines and clean them, but I can't ever seem to identify where they are catching. Do you think I should stretch the spring out more so that it will push against the bullets much harder?

What are your common problems with this rifle?

Thanks,
    Ailoth
  2. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

Cleaning probably isn't going to help a lot. IIRC, the GSG-5 is a gas operated weapon. So it's probably not generating enough pressure to work the firearm. Light bullets like the yellow jacket also move fast and don't allow the powder to burn long. You'll wan something heavy, with a lot of powder. Try CCI mini mags.

That or trade in the GSG-5 for a Ruger mark III.
  3. Ailoth

Ailoth New Member

Well, you see the CCI Mini-mags seem to hang up the most! I think it has to do with the wax-like coating the bullets have on them. *shrug* in any event, i get tons and tons of stovepipes with the minimags.

The GSG-5 is not gas operated.. or at least not like i'm thinking (like the AR-15 is). It cycles from the kick-back of the bullet itself, unlike what I know as gas operated.
  4. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

That would be blowback and I don't think underpowered ammo would cause that in that system, at least not as much as in a gas operated system.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

You might try some Federals, jacketed if you havent already?
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I found that armscor percision high velocity 22's worked on a one I had the same poblem with. I bought a few bricks to put back for that gun.
  7. Ailoth

Ailoth New Member

Armscor eh? I'll have to look into that.

I think my biggest problem is the magazines. I took it out shooting yesterday, and Instead of loading the full magazine I started out loading only 5. out of 100 rounds, never had a stovepipe or FTE. I then loaded to 10 rnds, and out of 100 i had 2 stovepipes. Then I loaded to 22, and walla, had my stovepipe/FTE problem at least 3 times per magazine out of 100.

I've seen a 110 rnd drum that's for sale on quite a few sites, however most of them are on back order. I think i'll try to get one of those, maybe the spring and loading mechanism will be better! In the mean time, I think i'm going to get some sandpaper and do some smoothing out of the inside of my magazines.
  8. Benjamima

Benjamima New Member

I love my Gen-3 GSG..I had gotten rid of a finnicky 10/22 to buy it. I want to get the barrel ported so I can mount up a can without having to pay an extra $200 to make it an SBR..

I don't think an unclean gun is your problem, nor the ammo. I put a couple bricks of CCI minimags through mine(without cleaning) without a single malfunction.

It really sounds like the mags are your issue. I notice the mags with mine are kind of a pain to load sometimes.

Do you think that maybe the problem is the screw on the magazine follower is overtightened? I mean, that would make sense if the magazine jams in the middle, as that is the part in the magazine with the least structural support to keep it from bowing inward. Perhaps try taking that screw out, loc-titing it, then putting it back in(But not tightening it super-snugly).

Barring that, just order a new OEM magazine from ATI? I wouldn't go with a Pro-mag aftermarket mag. They tend to suck..

Good luck. :)