GSG-522 22LR Tactical rifle... Are they a good investment??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Brad - Stevens 311, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Brad - Stevens 311

Brad - Stevens 311 New Member

Ok guys, I happened to be a dicks sporting goods yesterday looking at guns.
    And I found what looked to be an MP5 chambered in 22lr. So i asked the guy about it and he said it was something new. I really liked how it handled. And seemed to be a well built gun. But my question is, Does anyone own one of these? Are they a good gun? I am really thinking of buying one. They also had a mossberg built AR15 in 22 caliber!

Attached Files:

2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Brad, I don't have one but a friend "DaffyD" does and maybe he will stop in and comment. I have shot his and I can tell you it is a great fun gun. If you get one take looks of ammo with you when you go to shoot. It is hard to stop playing with that rifle. Our local gun shop had an ad in today's paper listing them for %$299.99.
  3. Daffyd

Daffyd Member

Hey, Brad!

They are worth the investment! I picked up a GSG-5 Gen-2, which is a little different than the GSG-522. GSG (German Sports Guns) came out with their version some years ago. When I snagged mine, it was $150 bucks more than they're going now. I don't know all the details, but HK sued GSG to make cosmetic changes to the gun before they came out with the "HK MP5-22" manufactured by Umarex.

There are some drawbacks! The rifle uses screws for assembly, and they strip easily! You can pick up a replacement screw kit online, and they work a lot better. You can use the parts with the original rifle, but sooner or later, you'll strip one! Especially if you shoot it a bunch! Which I have! I put 1400 rounds through mine, and it pretty much feeds most 22LR. Remington Golden Bullets are not so great, but does well with Winchester Dynamax, CCI Blazer, and of course the CCI MiniMags shoot best!

It has good crisp trigger release, and is pretty accurate! It's not a competition Target rifle, but it gets some tight groups at 50 and 100 yards. The cool factor is something too! It's too much or big a hassle to actually get a real MP5 or 9MM knockoff! So why not a 22LR version with the fake suppressor!

Check out this link for all you'd ever want to know about the GSG-522

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/41_GSG_5.html

Get one and have fun!

Daffyd!
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would love to get my hands on one...the cool factor is over the top!!
  5. Brad - Stevens 311

Thanks Daffy! Thats all i needed to know! I like to get input from actual owners before I buy something. I think I'll go get one now. Ditto on the cool factor. Not only does it look like a real MP5, But it shoots cheap 22LR cartridges! Thanks Again! - Brad
  6. Daffyd

Daffyd Member

Good luck, and let me know about your first range report! I'm glad I could help!
  7. tom357

tom357 New Member

Normally I only deal in MOA accurate rifles, but I own a GSG 1911 22 and the quality is so good for the price that I bought the MP-5. I wasn't disappointed. Very well made and a blast to shoot, my grandson's favorite rifle. Wasn't too thrilled with the sights (old eyes) so I put a red dot on it. Now the kid wants me to get the 100 rd. drum for it.
    I think the GSG .22 cal. AK-47 is next!
  8. Brad - Stevens 311

You mean this?! Me want!:)

Attached Files: