Guidance on training and handgun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by tman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. tman

tman New Member

I'm looking for some guidance and know that there's a lot of experience out there. My wife and I have never carried but plan to begin this year and want to do it right. I've looked at the NRA Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home courses and will complete prior to securing the permit. First of all, do you recommend them or is there some other path you'd follow?
    Second, I have 3 handguns: old H&R Sportsman .22 for plinking/varmints, a S&W 686 .357mag, and a Colt 1911. Thinking about these for carry I'm not sure any are suitable. Is the .22, even with hollow point "yellow jackets", the kind of handgun I want to carry? The .357 (6") is a monster in terms of size and weight and not very "concealable". The 1911 is great but it's heavy as hell for carry it seems.
    So am I looking at investing in something else for the wife and myself and just hanging on to the others for occasional use? I'd like to go through the courses with the weapon I'll eventually carry. I'd appreciate your feedback, opinions, and guidance. Thanks.
  2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

im going to respond to your questions with more questions... 1) what type of firearm do you and the want to carry? 2) do y'all want the simplicity of a revolver or the high capacity of a semi-auto? 3) whats the price range you're lookin at? (average price range ie:$450 per pistol) and 4) how do you plan on carrying them?

with some more input from you i'll be more than happy to try to help
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I cant give specific advice, not even being in the US but it seems to me you have it about right. Any approved course will be worth the time and money, but dont stop there, if you can do another. Then chose what techniques work best for you both, and practice them.

My choice out of the excellent selection of guns you already have is the .45, but it is heavy and will need a good belt and holster. It may be that after the course you will have other ideas, but stick to a decent calibre, no less than a 9mm or .38spl in my view.
  4. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Whatever you do, get something you WILL carry. While the 1911 and the .357 are both fine weapons for self defense, that's a lot of weight to carry.

I love my Kel-tec P-11 in 9mm. Bought it new for $280.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Calibers : 9 x 19 mm Luger
    Weight unloaded lbs. : 14 oz. 400g
    Loaded magazine : 6 oz. 159g
    Length : 5.6" 142mm
    Height : 4.3" 109mm
    Width : 1" 26mm
    Barrel Length : 3.1" 79mm
    Sight radius : 4.6" 116mm
    Muzzle Energy Max : 400 ft lbs 540J
    Capacity : 10 + 1 rounds
    Trigger Pull : 9 lbs 40N

Attached Files:

5. tman

tman New Member

21Bravo,
    Thanks. The simpicity of the revolvers is appealing and a little more capacity than the 6 round S&W or the 9 round .22 would be nice but I guess I'm mostly after reliability. I don't want to say that price is no object (it is) but I think that the right weapon will justify the price here. To graehaven's point, I guess the most important consideration is having something that we actually 'will' carry. I think I convinced myself that the S&W 357 is too massive to carry regularly. Can the 1911 be carried comfortably with it's weight? I'm not sure and have no experience.
  6. tman

tman New Member

TranterUK and Graehaven,
    Thanks for your input. You're helping me with the thought process...and I need all of that I can get! TranterUK, I take it the Sportsman .22, 9-shot, is not an apprpriate carry weapon in your opinion. I guess my thought was that it's the pistol I've fired most, handles comfortably, and with a beefed up round could do the job. It's by far the lightest of the 3. As I mnentioned to 21Bravo, I've pretty much written off the S&W cannon...I don't tthink I'd actually lug it around. That leaves the 1911, slim but on the heavy side. Guess I'd have to see how and where it could be comfortably carried and concealed. Graehaven, think you nailed it...gotta be something we will actually carry. Maybe I start wth the 1911 and see how I feel about it after going through all the courses with it. For the wife the only option seems to be the .22 and that may not make sense given the responses.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I think you may be better served by going through the courses with what you have, learning the basic ins-and-outs, and then going to a range that lets you rent handguns. With the rentals, apply the stuff you learned in the class on the range and see what fits best for you.
    If you still feel the need, maybe then you could take a more advanced course with the weapon you decide best fits.
  8. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i dont see why a 1911 would be a bad choice... yeah you have less options for places to conceal it but a 230gr fmj can put a world of hurt on a man. as far as the .22 goes...its all about shot placement. of course youre just gonna piss a fella off if you shoot him in the hand with a .22 but, if you put a round (or maybe two) in the chest he will second guess his decision long enough for you to regain composure and give em a third eye. "J" frame revolvers may be an option if the two of you want a pistol specifically for ccw. you can even get them in .357mag or .38 (as im sure you know) so youd still have the power of the "cannon" as you called it... like CJ said, try to rent some and see what feels good. if it dont feel good in your hand or where you're gonna carry it...like graehaven said, you wont use it and you'll have waisted your money
  9. tman

tman New Member

You guys make a lot of sense...thanks for the input. I think I'm on board with going through the courses, me with the 1911 and her with the Sportsman, and then making adjustments after that by trying out some other alternatives. Appreciate all your help. It's great to be able to tap the collective experience on this site!

T
  10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The 1911 carries well if you have a good belt to put a holster on. My belt came from the BeltMan and is 1 1/2" wide. It is made of 2 lengths of bullhide with a polymer stiffner laminated betwwen them. The belt is thick and holds the weight of your gun and accessories extremely well. There are other companies that make good belts too. Good belts are not found in department stores.
  11. tman

tman New Member

Jacksonco,

I often wear a suit or sportjacket so I guess on the hip concealment is ok with the 1911. How do you handle concealment when you're not wearing the suit jacket? Thanks for your input.
  12. army mp

army mp New Member

The training is an excellent idea, and practice with your carry gun, but I would in no way recommend a 22 for a CCW. Kel-tec and Bersa both make a decent inexpensive hand gun .stay away from HI- Point, I just picked up a New bersa in 380 for $240.00 I know 380 is not the Ideal carry Gun but its better than nothing in the Summer. I like my 1911 but it hard to conceal, And with Ruger coming out with there new 380. Hornady and some of the other Bullet manufacturers are coming out with some decent Ammo for the little Guns. From what I have read Hornady Critical Defense is getting good reviews.