guide rod question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by slickab, Jun 6, 2008.

1. slickab

slickab Member

I was prepared to bid on a short guide rod and plug online. I PM'd seller and was answered i would need a full length guide rod. My question is, i thought you could simply drop in a short guide rod and plug, retaining your original spring. The gun is a new Taurus PT 1911.
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

The PT1911...has a factory full length guide rod but yeah a standard length should work just fine. If in doubt, go ahead and buy an ungraded quality gov spec spring from Wilson or similar.
  3. slickab

slickab Member

Thanks for reply delta13. I will take your advise and get a new spring. While i am at it, i think i will check on wilson standard guide rod and plug. I am not familiar with Fusion parts. I have already replaced ambi safety with Wilson standard safety. Thanks again.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Cool. Ed Brown may be another to look at for parts...atleast to compare $
  5. jboynjazz

jboynjazz New Member

slickab, i bought a short guide rod and a standard plug and they dropped right in. i am still useing the factory recoil spring and have had no problems. the only reason i did this is i plan on carrying my pt1911 concealed and in the event that i am limited to one hand usage, i can "push chamber" if i need to. hope i never have the need to but if i do it will be alot easier than with a flgr.
  6. slickab

slickab Member

10-4 jboy. I had not mentioned that but that is what i had in mind. I watched Clint Smith demonstrate that technique on Wed night on the range. But then i probably would not be tough enough if i had a 45 slug in my other arm. It looks easier than using your rear sight for the same purpose.
  7. Five of Clubs

Five of Clubs New Member

Any of the guide rod configurations will fit right in your Taurus, but you will notice a little more felt recoil with the shorty plug. The few extra ounces from the full length rod really make quite a difference. I went the other way and bought a heavy rod from Wilson to reduce recoil.
  8. slickab

slickab Member

Welcome aboard FOClubs. I'm new here too. But i definitly love the 1911 platform. I bought the PT1911 so i could aford to modify or change out some of the parts. I wish i could find a good barrel for a reasonable price............. and maybe a slide. I'm not going to elaborate but luck of the draw gave me a poorly machined slide. I wish i knew someone with Taurus to e-mail and discuss.....