Gun cleaning kits? (.45, 9mm, AR-15, 12ga)

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by MAC1990, May 13, 2012.

1. MAC1990

MAC1990 New Member

I desperately need to replace/upgrade my current gun cleaning inventory..

Right now I am mainly concerned with .45, 9mm, ar-15 & 12ga, as those are the ones I use most frequently

I do not think I want to buy a whole kit, but more like just individual pieces:

*pick kit for scraping the carbon off of ar-15s
    *best spray can type oil
    *snakes or just cloth pieces?

price is no big deal as I have alot of money invested into the guns :)

I am open to all suggestions, if someone could recommend a good company/website that would be great..
  2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

The big otis kit. Right at $100, but well worth it
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I paid $80 for mine at ctd
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I keep a 'army box' full with cleaning and maintenance supplies. A couple rags (shirt sleeves), Milspec patches in both '30 cal' and '.22 cal'. A can of Kroil, a bottle of Montana Extreme copper killer .50 BMG formula, or Butchs Bore shine (I strongly favor the Montana Extreme). Bottle of SBGO, pistol length rods and rifle length rods (tiptons), and a full set of cleaning brushes and Jags (tipton), oh and also a rod guide kit. With it i can clean anything.
  6. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

I also like the Otis system, although I never figured out their patch system. I just use normal patches of the appropriate diameter. But, the Otis kit, some patches and rags, and a bottle of Gunzilla or Ballistol and you are set..
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Just push it through one of the holes, then pinch the opposite side of the patch and feed it through the hole in the tip
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have the Otis kit also, and I like it. However, there are some guns that the Otis kit will not work on unless the gun is completly disassembled. That means that you have to have a back up system.
  9. MAC1990

MAC1990 New Member

so everyone likes otis..

what about:

different shapped picks & not actual gun oil, but like a WD-40 spray when cleaning the guns?
  10. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I use a set of dental picks. WD-40 is really only a water displacer.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mac1990, here's some eye candy for you. This company makes great stuff and my x-mas list will include some of their products. A little spendy but it's quality.
  12. MAC1990

MAC1990 New Member

you forgot the link :)

anyway...

I think I will be buying 3 bottles of this stuff: G96 Gun Treatment (this is what i was refering to when i said WD-40)

I also was looking @ tipton, seems I will buy all my patches from them

EDIT: what do you guys think about bronze VS nylon bore brushes?
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Pro-Shot cleaning rods are what I've got on the rack for cleaning.
    I do have an old steel 3 piece .22cal rod in my portable cleaning kit but if I'm anywhere near home I grab the one-piece Pro-Shot rods instead. Can't beat the pricetag or the quality.
    I do like the Tipton carbon fiber rods, but I don't own any...I haven't worn out my Pro-Shots yet.
    Avoid the coated rods or aluminum rods like the plague. They are too soft and will pick up dirt and other abrasives and do a nice job of lapping your bore if used carelessly.

Otherwise, my cleaning kit is made up of assorted caliber jags and brushes to cover what I've got for bore sizes.
    I buy whatever big bulk pack of patches are on sale when I need em. Have had flannel and just plain t-shirt material and both of em work just fine.
    I buy the 45cal handgun patches and 12ga shotgun sizes and cut em to specific size for each bore for a nice snug fit. A .45 cut into quarters makes 4 .22cal patches, a 12ga cut into quarters makes 4 .257-.277 patches. A .45 cut in half works great for .30cal.
    I just don't see any sense in spending lots of money on the "gourmet" brand-name patches since I typically use two-dozen or more with each cleaning session. One pass down the bore and they hit the trash.

Bronze vs nylon brushes:
    Both have their place in my cleaning kit.
    I use bronze brushes for powder fouling removal.
    I use nylon for copper fouling removal since copper solvents will attack the bronze brushes as well and you'll never see a nice clean patch since the solvent is also dissolving the bronze.
    I do have a few stainless brushes that I use sparingly to clean lead from handgun bores and revolver chambers. I don't like to use em anymore than I have to since they are very aggresive and will burnish out your bore with overuse.

Solvents:
    Kroil for powder solvent and general cleaning solvent & penetrating oil use. I buy it by the gallon for use out in the garage too so I've always got some on hand and it beats the "new improved" Hoppes #9 solvent by far for cleaning fouling.
    Barnes CR-10 and/or Sweets7.62 for copper solvent. Either one seems to work great for cleaning copper jacket fouling from bores.
    For oil, I have an 80-s vintage gallon jug of BreakFreeCLP that's still half full. I'm not too fussy about oil and I've even used regular motor oil on my guns if that jug of CLP wasn't handy.

Misc tools:
    An bunch of old toothbrushes, some of em have customized handles to fit into nooks and crannies.
    A bunch of dental picks. I get em from a local surplus store.
    A GOOD gunsmithing screwdriver set so you're not burring up screwheads when you strip things down for cleaning.
    Brass drift punches for tapping receiver pins out.

I store most of this stuff in a Plano tackle box that holds several 3700 sizes boxes.
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I prefer nylon and I use Rem oil as a spray cleaner/lube.
  15. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sorry Mac, I had a brain glitch and forgot the link. It kind of happens from time to time.

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/
  16. MAC1990

MAC1990 New Member

This is my current buying list:

From Amazon:
    1x Tipton carbon fiber Shotgun rod
    1x Tipton .22-.26 carbon fiber rod
    1x Tipton .27-.45 carbon fiber rod
    2x 500 pack of Hoppe's gun cleaning patch .22-.270
    1x 500 pack .38-.45
    1x Otis variety pack of receiver brushes
    2x Hoppe's silicon cleaning cloth
    3x G96 Gun Treatment 12oz

Then from montanaxtreme.com, I plan to buy all the nylon cleaning brushes & a pick set

any last minutes buying ideas?