Gun Cleaning & Kits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodie, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Woodie

Woodie New Member

New York State in the country Broome County
    Hi Again. I tried searching for information first but i may have searched in the wrong areas.
    I feel pretty dumb tonight. After cleaning my guns fo, i don't know 50 years I guess. I read tonight how wrong I've been doing it. I never knew.
    I always plunged a brass bristal brush in a bottle of solvent and pokedher down the business end of the barrel. And quite a few other little bad habits/ideas.
    I used to read a lot about hunting, guns, shooting. I don't know if in my ( open the directions ONLY if you have extra parts) attitude made me skim over good cleaning instructions or if i just never saw them. My Boot pusher never told me the right way. ( No matter how old you are you remember a LOT of what you learned in Boot Camp to stay out of trouble )
    Well it all started when I was going to clean the new .17 mach 2 heavy barrel I bought. The brandie new Outers cleaning kit in a fancy wood box I got for Christmas is junk! The threads on the brass rods and the tips of the different attachments don't hold. I lost a brush half way down a barrel and more. Very disappointing. So I started to search the net. I learned a LOT.
    So I think I'm going to spend the big bucks ( comparatively ) and buy an Otis system. A complete kits for all calibers through Cabelas is $109.
    Unless anyone here can direct my to a better source.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I bought an HK branded Otis system for all calibers for like $45, but its a tiny travel kit- great to take to the range and keep on me easily for the USP. But I wouldn't really use it as the primary/only tool for my long guns, love the bore snake for that.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I bought a Winchester cleaning kit in an alluminum carring case for around $30 at wally world and it's an all round good kit for the $'s!
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

BWT I am impressed with my Otis kit, seems to be very good quality. Not too sure about the patches, they use some weird system that you are supposed to be able to use like 6 times or something but its kind weird, and then you gotta buy their patches I think I dunno... I don't use them "right", but they still get the job done.