Gun control , april 2012

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Apr 14, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

A HOME in Sydney's west has been peppered with bullets and a woman injured during the city's latest shooting incident.
    Several bullets were fired at a townhouse in Chiswick Road, Greenacre at about 7.45pm (AEST), police said.

A woman inside the property was cut when she fell to the floor as the gunfire rang out.

Two other people inside the home were not hurt.

Police are searching for a man who was seen near the home around the time of the incident.

There have been more than 40 shooting incidents in Sydney in 2012, including 10 in 10 days at the start of April.

Anyone with information about tonight's shooting is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800333000.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ng/story-e6frfku0-1226326698933#ixzz1s1DlVb3f

and the governments response will be to attempt to tighten up licencing laws or ammo controls but these islamists make their own !...
  2. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yep, sounds familiar. A safe POS, is a POS who doesn't have to worry about their victim being armed.
  3. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
    Benjamin Franklin
  4. fullmentaljacket

fullmentaljacket New Member

I hope this is sort of along the same lines as the sentiment of this thread. Maybe some of you already knew about this. On April 5 2012, in Canada, Bill C-19, an act to amend the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act, short title, Ending the Long-gun Registry Act, attained Royal Assent. Means it became law in Canada, and the requirement for legal firearms owners to register their non-restricted firearms (primarily shotguns and rifles as defined in the Firearms Act) with the government ended. A freedom lost in part due to ignorance and apathy was reclaimed. One small step for man....
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. armoredman

armoredman New Member

All part of the terrorist playbook, make the laws so oppressive the people revolt, then take control of the revolution for their own ends.
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I heard the ratio was even worse in Washington DC. Gun Control means unarmed victims of either criminals, government, or both. That's all gun control will ever mean.
  8. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

I had a discussion with my brother-in-law several years ago. He was a head in the sand believer in anti-gun laws. Because of a hunting accident which resulted in the death of his young cousin. I told him while the accident was a tragedy it was not the fault of the gun any more than the shoes that made his other cousin (his brother) slip and fall, or the muddy hill they were walking on, or the rain the night before etc. However he was convinced the world would be fixed if there were no guns in our homes. Realizing at this point I wasn’t going to completely convert him over night I thought for a moment and said I tell u what, I’ll go make a big sign for your yard, one that anyone can read from the street. It will say THE PEOPLE IN THIS HOUSE ARE NON-VIOLENT LAW ABIDING AMERICANS, WE WORK HARD FOR WHAT WE HAVE. WE HAVE NO FIREARMS OR OTHER MEANS OF DEFENSE IN OUR HOME, WE HAVE A GOLDEN RETREIVER, AND A ALARM SYSTEM, THE POLICE DEPARTMENT RESPONSE TIME OUT HERE IS APROXIMATELY 35 MINUTES, HAVE A NICE DAY !
    By this time he was laughing and said what do you think I am, an idiot ? My family would be robbed every night and probably dead in a week. My reply was at least now criminals know that there is at least a chance there could be an armed person in your home to defend it. If we loose our 2nd amendment right to own a gun –or not….. Well we better get started on that sign !
  9. fullmentaljacket

The long gun registry acted as a deterrent to gun ownership in Canada by allowing greater government (law enforcement) intrusion into the lives of law abiding gun owners and wanna be owners. The intention was supposed to allow law enforcement to quickly query a national database of gun owners, to see if there *might* be firearms behind the doorway they were about to breach. They made it more tedious to possess even a simple shotgun or hunting rifle, nothing too nasty looking, by adding the legal requirement to register it at the time of purchase. What happened was, anytime a police officer ran your license plate number, there was an automatic cross reference to the database. This effectively gave them probable cause to stop anyone who legally possessed any kind of firearm on the grounds that "they wanted to check whether there were firearms present in the vehicle and that they were being stored and transported safely". Whether that was the reason for the stop or not. Many people just figured they didn't want the hassle of having a big red cross hair on them wherever they went, and were always risking the possibility of being stopped at the whim of some cop who was bored or otherwise inclined to waste your time and theirs, for no other reason than you *might* have guns in your car.
    To possess or acquire firearms in Canada, you still have to pass an approved safety course, for restricted (read as handguns and *nasty looking* guns like the AR15 models) and non-restricted (long guns rim/center fire hunting rifles and semi-auto rifles and shotguns). Full automatic and some specific calibers are considered prohibited, and are only allowed to be possessed by people who acquired them long, long, ago in galaxies far, far, away. Once the owners of prohibited weapons die, they must be surrendered to police or (maybe) donated to museums, I would guess. I'm not sure.
    Sound complex? It is, and that's as close to complete gun control as anyone should ever come. It worked, the way they set it up in 1995, as a deterrent by tedium. Now that the Conservative majority government has repealed it, I expect a slight to moderate increase in Canadians taking an interest in shooting, and getting their licences and purchasing more non-restricted ordinance. I know I plan to. ;-)
    Too bad about your BIL's cousin. Accidents happen and there's not much you can do about them. You try to be responsible and follow safety procedures, but still sometimes it's not enough, and bad things happen. Same with cars, and medications, and many other things in life that can harm us. Your idea about the signage was an effective way to show him another way of looking at the idea of gun control, versus the right to reasonably, and with appropriate force, defend oneself, and one's family, friends, and property. Nice one.
  10. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." William Burroughs
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Good post, FMJ. I'm glad to here at least a little sanity return "up" there. Let it spread , Lord, let it spread!:)
  12. fullmentaljacket

Amen to that, friend.
    After the LGR was no more, some of us thought maybe we could try for a "restricted use away from the club or range", but cooler heads prevailed (so far) and we figure better learn to walk again first, before we start entering marathons.

Please don't ever let them take away your rights, like we've seen happen up here. Apathy and ignorance and a lack of a national organization like the NRA had us disarmed before my ancestors knew what was happening. By the time I got interested in it for real, it was all but too late. A new government could undo what has been restored, and that would be tragic. I hope it won't, and I will do everything I possibly can to preserve that which we now know is precious.

Next time I'm in in your firearms friendly country, I plan on visiting a firing range or two, and renting, or *borrowing*, or whatever the legal requirements are for visitors to shoot, and spending a few bucks on "therapy". If I'm prohibited by law, that's fine, I'll just watch, and listen, and smell the burnt powder, and enjoy the experience just the same.

Anyone know of any nice, foreign shooter friendly, clubs/ranges? When we travel, we tend to be mostly in the south and west, but any walk on friendly ranges would work for me, anywhere in the lower 48. I have a Government of Canada RCMP issued PAL for both restricted and non-restricted as determined by our Canadian Firearms Program as proof I've taken an accredited firearms safety course. If it's a requirement? I visited Ben Avery last time south, didn't shoot, but was blown away by it. We have nothing that I know of up here that compares. Next time if possible, I'd like to try it. No idea if it's possible, but there's always a chance.
    Or, is there a club/range location thread on here I can browse? Sorry for asking but I still haven't had a full tour of this forum, but what I've seen so far, I like.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  13. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    Abraham Lincoln
  14. mranum

mranum Member

Indeed.
  15. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The souls of the restless warriors within us, sleep.