Gun Control Group to Run Ads Warning About Self-Defense Shootings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Sep 24, 2005.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The Associated Press

Published: Sep 24, 2005

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - A gun control group is set to start running ads contending that a new Florida law allowing people to act in self defense without first trying to flee will make it more dangerous to come here.

On Oct. 1, the day the new law takes effect, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence will run ads in newspapers in London, Chicago, Boston and Detroit that contend that visitors will now "face a greater risk of bodily harm in Florida," The Miami Herald reported Friday.

The group will also hand out fliers to arriving passengers at Miami International Airport drawing attention to the law, which passed the Legislature overwhelmingly earlier this year.

The measure says people who are under attack don't have to retreat before responding, but can meet "force with force" as long as they're in a place they legally have a right to be.

The person who feels they are under attack can use deadly force "if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so, to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another," under the new law, which was pushed by the National Rifle Association and signed by Gov. Jeb Bush in April.

The governor's office said the Brady Campaign's tactics were inflammatory and false.

"We think this is ridiculous," said Alia Faraj, the governor's spokeswoman. "Florida's crime rate has reached a 34-year low and the 80 million visitors who came to our state can attest to that. It's tragic that they would use gimmicks like that to scare people."

A similar bill is currently being considered in Michigan.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

They could be doing us a favor. The ads and literature should be a warning to crooks.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

That is just how I feel Shooter45 maybe we should go to the airport and thank them for helping to keep the bad elements out of our state. :)
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Kinda after the effect-eh? Agree with S45. Maybe they could come to Texas and hand some out round the border area`s...course they`d have to be in a few different speaks.

LTS
  5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

yar swamp angel furst an 4mos they gotta no texican :cool:
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ol Sara Brady really doesn't have a clue as to how stupid she really is.... :mad:

mike
    gn
  7. azsigman

azsigman New Member

Seems to me that the simple answer is " Do not come to Florida with the idea of committing a crime. It could cost ya. Try some place like Daly's Chicago. It's MUCH safer for ya. "
  8. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

glockNUT,we agree on something else besides THe best handgun ever made GLOCKS. I feel the same way about her.Stupid is as stupid does.I would like to see something happen to all those people,to wish they had a gun for self protection and did'nt have one.The reason the hurrican turned away from our town is because I could not leave most of my guns behind and leave you here in this forum all by yourself as the only other person who appreciate FINE PLASTIC.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yes, i wouldn't want to be left alone in here with all of these 1911 vultures... :D

mike
    gn
  10. Carl S

Carl S New Member

I agree and the end result is that it might make visitors feel safer. Most of the visitors will not pay much attention to these idiots.. The only ones who might be discouraged from visiting are some libs - and we don't need anymore of them anyway!!
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

A - M E N ! ! ! ! ! !

I know I may be accused of being a bigoted Southerner. For those that don't already know, I was brought up in Maine and Connecticut. I just a poor ole naturalized Southerner.....
  12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Absolutely! In fact, it seems to me that the Brady Campaign is doing Florida a favor by telling criminals that they have fair warning.
  13. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Marlin,
    Did you ever get to know Roy Daly (T.F. Gilroy Daly), he was the attorney who won the Peter Rielly case. He was also the Insurance Commissioner for the state of Connecticut for a while then he became a federal Judge. No particular reason for asking, he was a good friend of mine. He passed away a few years ago.For some reason, your post broght him to mind. Just thought I'd ask.
    Thanks,
    Huck
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I left Connecticut in 1954 when my parents changed jobs, I graduated from Wooster School and moved to New Jersey for college. After I graduated from Rutgers in 1958, I moved south and have been here ever since, as that was where my work was.

I met Judge Gilroy on a couple occasions in a social setting at the home of Abe Ribicoff, who was a friend of my parents. Never had occasion to practice before him as he came along on the bench long after my time in New England.
  15. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Marlin,
    Abe Ribicoff! Boy...there's a guy I haven't thought of for years! He was a good guy too. He was a big help to Roy when Roy ran for Congress. Thanks for another "blast from the past".
    Huck