Gun for an aging mother

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by new308handloader, Dec 20, 2009.

1. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

I would like some advice on what would be a good choice revolver for my mother....and there are a couple issues that worry me.

She is 69, lives in the Knoxville, TN area, currently has a Glock 19 and carry permit. She is a very stong willed woman and of sound mind, but her physical heath is going down hill. She told me she is not strong enough anymore to work the slide on it and wants to trade it in on a revolver...I have noticed myself that her hands tremble, so I'm not sure what to think about that. She says she can handle the recoil of the 9mm but would not want to go with anything that has more recoil.....I'm thinking maybe a .38?

Although I have tried to get her to carry differently than she does, her idea of carrying is to keep the Glock in the box that it came with in the trunk of her car with the mags loaded but not chambered....then if she feels the need, she takes it out and puts it in her purse.

Also, what would be a good trade/sell value for her Glock 19? Not sure what generation it is, but it was purchased in 2004, has two 10-round mags, has had approx 200-300 rounds fired, standard sights, and in excellent condition.
  2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Just bought my wife a 2 3/4" Judge. She handles it well enough and it is now in a holster strapped to her rocker hidden under a doyley. Polio in infancy precludes use of a semi-auto. Cocked and locked wont work because her hands can't manage the safety. She has had a Mod. 10 for years but accuracy not what it was. The buckshot from the judge should giver her a few more years if the Feds. don't kill her with denial of medical care which we will have to pay double for not including tax increases to pay for our enslavement.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Smith & Wesson 29 .44 Magnum with an 8 3/8" barrel. Lmao. Just kidding. How about a Walther PPK or something in .380? Smith & Wesson 36. I believe it's a snub-nose .38.
  4. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Any of the Smith 38s. My wife has trouble with the slide on an automatic so I got her a Smith 442 airweight. The recoil on the 442 is wicked but she knows if and when she ever needs it she'll never notice the kick. Any of the heavier snubby Smith wheel guns would work, probably better.
    A Colt Police Positive in 38 has very little recoil and as it sounds like your mother is not concealing might work fine for her. Think any of the heavier revolvers.
    oldogy
  5. vytoland

vytoland New Member

6. tntrucker

tntrucker New Member

Mothers are mothers and it's good that she is strong willed. But I would very much like to know she had her Glock loaded and ready to shoot. We live in Knoxville area also. Crime is getting really bad here. Seems like every newscast has armed robbery, assualt, or home invasion. Not the East Tn. I grew up in. Good luck.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My mother took a real shine to my Charter Arms undercover special. I inherited my dads firearms and she told me she only wanted one for home. My dad had a M&P revolver that she was using but liked the fit and feel of the smaller revolver. She always shot a 38 when my dad was living and was born on a farm so I didn't worry about her. When I travel up to see her I put a light coat of oil on it, put in some fresh ammo and put it back in the nightstand. One time I noticed one of the rounds had been fired so I asked her about it and she told she had a red squirrel in the bird feeder. I asked her is she hit it and she said no. I got a kick out of that. She turned 87 this year.

I don't recommend the Charter for your Mom but a Smith Model 10 would be a good choice if it fits her hands.
  9. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I would suggest a 4" 38 spl revolver over any semi auto for an elderly woman.
  10. roaddog28

roaddog28 New Member

I would recommend a Smith and Wesson model 10 4 inch 38 special over just about any other including semi-autos for not only older folks but most all people that are not "in to guns". Its simple to operate, very accurate with 158gr ammo and will work everytime without jam issues. As long as you mother still goes to the range and gets some practive at about 7 yrds the model 10 would be the answer.

Good luck
    roaddog28
  11. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I'd recommend one of the Beretta tip up barrel .380s.
  12. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

.38's are always a "easy to use, easy to store" choice. 2 1/2 - 4".

I would look for some (shouldn't be hard to find) Federal Hydra Shok LOW RECOIL JHP's. Bought some for my neighbor. Fired a few at the range. Less recoil and flash than standard or +P rounds. No slide, no safety, just point and squeeze.
  13. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

This trick was passed on to me from a gun guy. It probably won't work for this problem but I thought I'd share. If someone can't cock a semi auto, take the gun and use the rear sight against the pocket of your jeans to cock it. It does work. You have lots of leverage this way, I would think it would work on a belt too.
  14. olehippy

olehippy New Member

This forum is for serious discussions among mature people. Go back to the playground, clown.

Miles
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  15. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd have to agree with a .38 Special loaded with JHP ammo. With a 3" or 4 " barrel. the recoil would be very manageable.