Gun for an aging mother

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by new308handloader, Dec 20, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

As far as the Glock, I'm just guessing here, but $350 - $400 should be about right. They sell new for $500-$550. Prices may vary in your area. I've recently seen pretty well used ones go for 350. If her's is in really good shape it may fetch more. Private party will get you the most, gun shop "trade in" will be toward the lower end, but a minimum hassle for you.
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Keep it civil. ALL of you.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Absolutely DO NOT go with an Airweight S&W or any other 'ultra light' .38. Go with a steel-framed gun if she is recoil sensitive. My wife's S&W 642 Airweight is about the most recoil she can stand. She's 92 lbs. and 5' tall. Her hands get a punishment from standard load .38s and she claims that Hogue grips hurt worse since the stickier rubber shears backwards into the web of her hand. I'll admit that it kicks pretty well myself. Again, I don't have any model recommendations but a good, heavy steel .38 would be a wise choice. :)
  4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Au contraire. There is plenty of room on this forum for a bit of humor and even a contrarian opinion. Even a preposterous opinion. Have you ever heard of The Glocknut? Red14? We are still allowed to have a little bit of fun. I think.:D
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Check out something else. There is considerable literature on aging gracefully, one I recommend is "Younger Next Year"

http://www.youngernextyear.com/

In a nutshell they recommend exercise to reduce the effects of aging. Of particular interest in the case of your mother is weight training. This has substantial advantages even for folks of very advanced years.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Get her a 4" K frame S&W, have an action job done, and load it with factory 148 gr. target wadcutter ammunition. +P is not necessary at all.
  7. 100 Bullets

100 Bullets New Member

small 357, then you can also put 38s in it.
  8. roaddog28

roaddog28 New Member

Ditto Bill. The last thing a 69 year old lady needs is a gun that shes has too remember to: rack the slide, remember where the safety is, and make sure she loaded the magazine.:eek: The revolver is simple to see if it is loaded. No safeties and no jamming. Just pull the trigger. The target wadcutter ammunition will get the job done. Most situations are 7 yds or closer. And my opinion is, if you can't take your attacker out in three rounds it won't matter anyway. She would most likely not survive.
    roaddog28
  9. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

A Beretta Tomcat .32 acp.... you can just flip up the barrel and put a round in it then when you fire the rest feed from the mag. No slide to sling.

Other than that a .38 revolver
  10. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I had my mother in law try to cock and load different pistols. She was really fraile but could use the .32 just fine and that is what she had by her bed. It was loaded and only she, my wife and I knew about it. Unsafe? Maybe but there are no children in the house.