The Firearms Forum banner

Gun for Backyard Hunting

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  montveil 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I moved to north Alabama a few months ago from Florida and am looking forward to the start of hunting season in a few months.

My wife and I are buying three acres with about 1/2 acre in the back that's secluded and can be hunted on. While the land is in a rural area, it is still within a few hundred yards of houses, and it actually borders a golf course with a 150 ft stand of pines between the two.

I'm looking for a gun that would be suitable to hunt in an area like this. I'd like to keep the price under $400 if possible, and am looking for something that would be TOO loud or shoot TOO far. I'm a pretty good shot, but I don't want to accidentally injure someone or make too much noise, even though there are no laws/ordinances against me hunting there.

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the replies everyone!

I actually have access to a Remington Model 1100 20 gauge with a slug barrel and receiver already drill and tapped for a scope mount.

I'm pretty sure this will fit the bill nicely! I've shot slugs before, and I know how much damage they can do, but does anyone have any experience hunting white-tails with them? I'm only going to try and shoot smaller deer, 100-125 lb does/yearling bucks, because I'm really doing it for the meat, but I can't have them run TOO far because I am hunting in a smaller space.

For anyone who has experience hunting with a 20 gauge slug gun, how effective is it at 50-60 yards?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a gun that would be suitable to hunt in an area like this. I'd like to keep the price under $400 if possible, and am looking for something that would be TOO loud or shoot TOO far. I'm a pretty good shot, but I don't want to accidentally injure someone or make too much noise, even though there are no laws/ordinances against me hunting there.

Thanks.
Well is it legal to shoot there? Then what are you shooting? Where are you shooting from? Ie will you be shooting from a high deck down at your game? Then be sure or Rule #4 while observing the other 3 as well.

1) All guns are always loaded!
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
4) Always be sure of your target and what lies beyond!

#3 ·
Hi all,

I moved to north Alabama a few months ago from Florida and am looking forward to the start of hunting season in a few months.

My wife and I are buying three acres with about 1/2 acre in the back that's secluded and can be hunted on. While the land is in a rural area, it is still within a few hundred yards of houses, and it actually borders a golf course with a 150 ft stand of pines between the two.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! CCI has a CB "Quite" round that is a 29 grain bullet traveling at around 750fps. These are quite, and they won't travel very far.

#4 ·
Well is it legal to shoot there? Then what are you shooting? Where are you shooting from? Ie will you be shooting from a high deck down at your game? Then be sure or Rule #4 while observing the other 3 as well.

1) All guns are always loaded!
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
4) Always be sure of your target and what lies beyond!
I'm sorry; I'm sure I could have been much more specific! It's perfectly legal to shoot where I'll be located, it's just that there are houses near enough that I don't want to disturb them by shooting a gun that's TOO loud. I'll be shooting primarily white-tail deer from an elevated tree stand/shooting box about 15-20 feet off the ground.

The area I'll be hunting is only about 1/2 acre, more specifically 200 x 120 feet, so the longest sight line I'll be looking at are about 50-75 yards.

#5 ·
Hi all,

Thanks.
That's pretty small for deer. I'd check with the neighbors before hunting it, and also the Sheriff. Formal laws are not always up to date or appropriate for a community that has grown much. People in this part of the country are more inclined to be polite, than pay much attention to formal hunting laws (or absence thereof). They'll appreciate your asking them about it. I'm in similar rural area in MS, but with 30 acres of dense forest, surrounded by several hundred acres of other peoples farms and woods. I still am very careful about taking shots and I know exactly what direction my neighbors houses are from me. What you need to be careful of is other folks that may be used to tramping around on the property - especially kids. If it's ok with the neighbors/sheriff, then you might think about black powder or a shotgun for deer. That will limit your range somewhat, which is what you want. For small game and varmints a .22 is usually good enuf, or a .410 or 20 gage shotgun.

If noise is an issue, then you could use a bow or crossbow for deer.

#7 ·
I'm sorry; I'm sure I could have been much more specific! It's perfectly legal to shoot where I'll be located, it's just that there are houses near enough that I don't want to disturb them by shooting a gun that's TOO loud. I'll be shooting primarily white-tail deer from an elevated tree stand/shooting box about 15-20 feet off the ground.

The area I'll be hunting is only about 1/2 acre, more specifically 200 x 120 feet, so the longest sight line I'll be looking at are about 50-75 yards.
As Jim Summers said, use a bow. A cross bow, or a compound bow is good out to 40 yds, with practice!

#9 ·

Check to be SURE it is legal. As long as it is Then use whatever rifle you feel safe using. As for noise well they are likely to hear a bang but that is life. This is one of the reasons The wife and I moved here after selling my business. All the land around is mine I have shot deer in my yard. I can shoot in any direction outside my home and have no concerns about hitting anything as there is nothing there but my land.

#10 ·
Check the laws!!!
Crossbow is not legel in some states as is a .22 for deer.And if you use a bow remember you could be tracking it far beyond your border.
A shotgun is a good choice one that has a slug barrel for the knock down power you want it to drop fast so you do not have to track it beyond your border.
You have very little land to hunt on some would say not enough. Anything you use will be herd by your neighbors so talk to them and see what they have to say sense you may have to go onto there land to get your deer after you shoot it.
Remember a deer can run a long distance after it is shot.(Except for head shots)
So talk to ALL your neighbors and see what they have to say.
Mike

#15 ·
Another consideration, as mentioned, is that every deer I have shot with 30-06 or a 50 cal Muzzle loader have ran at least 30 yards, even with their heart shot out.
IMO the only drop dead shot breaks the spine or a head shot both of which are chancy shots
If your lot is 100 to 120 feet wide and you shoot the deer in the middle it will undoubtedly run on to your neighbors property.
Most "neighbors" do not like a find a dying deer in their yard, ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE KIDS.
Your property is too small for deer sized game. You might want to consider a 22 and rabbits to fill the pot

#16 ·
I agree with the bow/crossbow guys. Neighbors beyond 30-40 yards from shot will hear nothing or a very faint odd sound. However, the drawback for you may be The "instant kill". It just doesn't happen very often with archery weapons. Even with high powered rifles, dropping a deer in it's tracks, regardless of size, just isn't the "norm". So I guess the question you may have to ask is "what do you/nieghbors think about tracking a well placed shot deer a few hundred yards or a pooly placed shot deer a mile"?

#18 ·
If you shoot it on your land, the neighbors will just have to get over it as long as it's legal to hunt on your land. Sounds like a perfect place for a 30-30 to me.

Kill some does too!!

#19 · (Edited)
Remember this yes you have a right to hunt on your land but if your neighbors will not let you on there land and your deer goes on there land you loose the deer.If you go on there land and get caught you pay a fine and could lose you hunting lic.
As for using a rifle that is stupid on the amount of land you have. Next to a golf course, close to houses.You are only asking for trouble.
You just moved in don't start a war with your neighbors and give hunters a bad name.
TALK TO THE LAND OWNERS AROUND YOU!!!
You could end up with more land to hunt on and make new friends.
You are new so pissing off you neighbors is NOT a smart idea and having a attitude of "They will have to get over it is "NOT A GOOD IDEA"
You only have a 1/2 acre.starting a war with your neighbors will only get your stand ripped down,cops called,and a hole lot of hassles.
Just because you have the right to do it does not mean you should do it wrong.
There are the right way to do things and a wrong way to do things even if both ways are legle.
Mike

#20 ·
All this talk about being too crammed in with people? In rural Alaska, there is so much open country, everybody pretty much has their own hunting area. Usually a watershed down the Yukon a few miles. People respect each others hunting spots as it's all Indian, state, or fed land, not private usually. People will say, well so and so hunts there, thats his spot. When people develop an area, they will build a camp at mouth of creek then they control the trailhead up along the creek. Most trails only go a few miles anyway. You would think outsider hunters from Anch would encroch, but t hey don't; they usually want to shoot moose from their boat.

I have a trail from my backyard that goes back 5-6 miles, it's my trapline, woodlot trail, bearstand trail, and how I get to where I really like to hunt moose & caribou & wolves. A few years back, I heard a chainsaw going about a mile or so back there and was surprised so I jumped on the 4 wheeler and rode back. Here, there was this new guy that came to town and he was trying to develop a trapline and he punched trail in from the road a couple hundred yards then hit my trail. I run him off, tore down all the marten sets he had nailed to trees, and told him to stay outta my spots. He apologized and never came back. You see, he was one of these new guys that came to town, gonna live off the land, be a trapper, ect ect. Later he said he didn't realize how things worked around here. Kinda nice when there ain't millions of people where ya live and it can work that way. Back East, just too many people that would refuse to respect everybody else.

#21 ·
I agree with the neighbor statements above. If you set off a neighbor war, life can be miserable for you and your family

BUT IF YOU MUST HUNT, THE SHOTGUN WITH # 2 or 3 BUCKSHOT ( ~ 18 pellets in 20 ga 2 3/4 INCH) WITH A HEAD, NECK SPINE SHOT SHOULD DROP A DEER QUICKLY.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/buckshot.aspx
This combination will usually result in 7 OR more hits in the head and neck spinal area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.