Gun for Backyard Hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by DJ_Squizzy, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jpdusn

jpdusn New Member

I agree with the bow/crossbow guys. Neighbors beyond 30-40 yards from shot will hear nothing or a very faint odd sound. However, the drawback for you may be The "instant kill". It just doesn't happen very often with archery weapons. Even with high powered rifles, dropping a deer in it's tracks, regardless of size, just isn't the "norm". So I guess the question you may have to ask is "what do you/nieghbors think about tracking a well placed shot deer a few hundred yards or a pooly placed shot deer a mile"?
  2. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Cross bow or use the 20ga. with slug or buckshot. Buckshot has a shorter range and would work for close shots.
  3. 45nut

45nut Active Member

If you shoot it on your land, the neighbors will just have to get over it as long as it's legal to hunt on your land. Sounds like a perfect place for a 30-30 to me.

Kill some does too!!
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Remember this yes you have a right to hunt on your land but if your neighbors will not let you on there land and your deer goes on there land you loose the deer.If you go on there land and get caught you pay a fine and could lose you hunting lic.
    As for using a rifle that is stupid on the amount of land you have. Next to a golf course, close to houses.You are only asking for trouble.
    You just moved in don't start a war with your neighbors and give hunters a bad name.
    TALK TO THE LAND OWNERS AROUND YOU!!!
    You could end up with more land to hunt on and make new friends.
    You are new so pissing off you neighbors is NOT a smart idea and having a attitude of "They will have to get over it is "NOT A GOOD IDEA"
    You only have a 1/2 acre.starting a war with your neighbors will only get your stand ripped down,cops called,and a hole lot of hassles.
    Just because you have the right to do it does not mean you should do it wrong.
    There are the right way to do things and a wrong way to do things even if both ways are legle.
    Mike
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

All this talk about being too crammed in with people? In rural Alaska, there is so much open country, everybody pretty much has their own hunting area. Usually a watershed down the Yukon a few miles. People respect each others hunting spots as it's all Indian, state, or fed land, not private usually. People will say, well so and so hunts there, thats his spot. When people develop an area, they will build a camp at mouth of creek then they control the trailhead up along the creek. Most trails only go a few miles anyway. You would think outsider hunters from Anch would encroch, but t hey don't; they usually want to shoot moose from their boat.

I have a trail from my backyard that goes back 5-6 miles, it's my trapline, woodlot trail, bearstand trail, and how I get to where I really like to hunt moose & caribou & wolves. A few years back, I heard a chainsaw going about a mile or so back there and was surprised so I jumped on the 4 wheeler and rode back. Here, there was this new guy that came to town and he was trying to develop a trapline and he punched trail in from the road a couple hundred yards then hit my trail. I run him off, tore down all the marten sets he had nailed to trees, and told him to stay outta my spots. He apologized and never came back. You see, he was one of these new guys that came to town, gonna live off the land, be a trapper, ect ect. Later he said he didn't realize how things worked around here. Kinda nice when there ain't millions of people where ya live and it can work that way. Back East, just too many people that would refuse to respect everybody else.
  6. montveil

montveil New Member

I agree with the neighbor statements above. If you set off a neighbor war, life can be miserable for you and your family

BUT IF YOU MUST HUNT, THE SHOTGUN WITH # 2 or 3 BUCKSHOT ( ~ 18 pellets in 20 ga 2 3/4 INCH) WITH A HEAD, NECK SPINE SHOT SHOULD DROP A DEER QUICKLY.
    http://www.federalpremium.com/products/buckshot.aspx
    This combination will usually result in 7 OR more hits in the head and neck spinal area.