Gun Free school zones

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Nov 21, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i was reading a little about the Gun free school zone laws.

what i read was basically its against the law for a person to bring a gun with in 1000 fee of the property line of a k-12 school. even on a public sidewalk or road.

anyone know anything about this? does this apply in your car? has it been exempted in any way or do i break this law if i drive past a school with a gun in my car?

how about if i get stopped for speeding in a school zone while carrying a firearm?

i hate gun laws.
  2. johnlives4christ

when i took my ccw class they told me were in the state i couldnt carry and said "and any other place that federal law prohibits"

what are those places? national parks now? or where
  3. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Your reading of the statute is correct - it's basically a felony to drive across the average town, now. I had a question on this once from a guy whose driveway was within feet of school property on both sides. My view is that this has absolutely nothing to do with keeping school children safe, it is merely an attempt to disarm law-abiding citizens. The statute has been declared unconstitutional, once, but was then "repaired" by adding all sorts of language about "interstate commerce". It is clearly not about regulation of interstate commerce (which the U.S. may regulate), but about the ownership, possession, and use of personal property (over which the States have absolute authority because of their exclusive power of regulation of the public welfare, health, education, safety, and the police power). Moreover, the one thousand foot limit is unreasonable, arbitrary, and capricious. This statute has only been applied since the congressional "repair" to people who are guilty of other crimes. E.g., the guy who robs the 7-11 store across the street from a school will be charged not only with the robbery, but with possession of a firearm in a "school zone". They do that for plea-bargain purposes. That statute does need to be repealed, though, because any basis for leos on a petty tyranny kick could use it as an arguable basis for an otherwise unreasonable detention. Oh, and Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ, needs to be repealed, too.
  4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I agree, the school zone law needs to be repealed. When I was a kid, we could wear our Roy Rogers holsters and bring our cap guns (unloaded) to school. These days, drawing a picture of a gun can get a kid suspended indefinitely. Like all "Control" laws, they only punish law abiding citizens. Criminals by definition scoff at all laws that suit their convenience. Drug free zones are another useless waste of a sign. Politicians are a useless waste of protoplasm! I apologize for the last, it just typed itself.
  5. ghrit

ghrit New Member

hehehe. Back in the day, our shotguns were in the principal's office (ammo stayed in the coat pockets) until school let out and we hit the fields across the creek. Just imagine ---
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Indiana seems to assume that the federal law restricting guns within 1000 feet of a school does not apply in this state. Our state code specifically exempts a person with a firearm who is transporting another person to a school from the law prohibiting firearms at schools (IC 35-47-9-1 Sec. 1 (3) (B)), and I've never dropped off a passenger 1000 feet from where they were going.
  7. stephen sams

stephen sams New Member

In Oregon licenced Concealed carry is legal on school grounds but the schools argue.
  8. johnlives4christ

in kentucky you can conceal in or on school grounds if you have the principles permission
  9. Warith

Warith Member

Never understood that law myself. My mother was a teacher back in the 40s and carried a 32 revolver with her when ever she went to school. That was back in the one room school days as well when you had students form 1st to 12th grade in the same room.
  10. johnlives4christ

so if i was to own a house that borders the school property i would not be in violation of this law since it's private property?

but for example; the mcdonalds i frequent in town borders school property, and i am committing a felony if i have a gun in my car or on me when visiting mcdonalds?
  11. RJD

RJD New Member

It's been awhile since I looked at that law. IIRC it says that it exempts persons with CCW for the school zones in the State you are in. Oregon allows CC in schools and Washington allows you to pickup kids at school.
  12. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Criminals, of course, are exempt from these laws.:mad:
  13. johnlives4christ

what does IIRC mean?
  14. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I Remember Correctly
  15. johnlives4christ

16. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

"Gun-Free School Zones"; aka "Gun Crimes Welcomed Zone"..... >MW
  17. johnlives4christ

millwright, yep. what does your screen name mean? just curious
  18. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Illinois is a lousey State we CANNOT CARRY PERIOD.

Denny G.
  19. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Colorado...if you have a "permit"

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.
    (3)
    (a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked.
  20. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Get everyone you know to join the NRA, and vote REPUBLICAN!!
    Once Reps have a Majority, you can repeal bad gun laws & get Concealed Carry laws written.

Use Florida's gun laws as your base. CCW, 10-20-Life (Anti-crook gun law), and our Castle Law.

Those three changes will REDUCE CRIME!! Florida saw a 22% drop in crime after making those laws.
    The drop continues across the board...more crooks getting shot/killed/jailed = happy citizens.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010