1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Gun Law Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by willywonka, Nov 24, 2010.

1. willywonka

willywonka New Member

I wanted to ask the folks here about this. A simple yes or no will do, but comments are certainly welcomed.

As a newbie to firearms, there are some legal aspects I hadn't considered, much of which ticks me off looking at the maps at opencarry.org, but I wanted to ask everyone's view on this.

1) Should we as citizens have the right to openly carry in any state?
    2) Should we as citizens have the right to conceal carry?
    3) If you carry in your car, should it be required to be kept in your glovebox?
    4) Should every state in the union recognize your conceal carry permit (universal reciprocity)?
    5) Should it be legal to carry (conceal or open) in a place that serves alcohol?
    6) Should we as citizens have the right to carry in airports?
    7) Should we as citizens have the right to carry in government buildings, including schools and colleges?
    8) Should it be legal to own or purchase automatic weapons?
    9) Should convicted felons who have served their time, be legally allowed to own a firearm?

And here's a hell of a question...

10) Would you be in favor of Constitutional carry (no permit required to carry) in exchange that every firearm be registered?
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'll play i reckon. gun laws frustrate me as well. to be fair though, i think you should answer your own questions too

yes. anywhere we wish to go

yes. their should be no licenses

no. it should be legal in any place of the vehicle

4) Should every state in the union recognize your conceal carry permit (universal reciprocity)?
    yes. but i think we should not be required to have licenses

5) Should it be legal to carry (conceal or open) in a place that serves alcohol?
    yes. while it is unwise to drink and carry a firearm, criminals do not follow the law. the law could be changed that it is reckless or wanton endangerment for those that drink and carry at the same time. what if i was going to pick up a friend at a bar? or for a meeting

yes. but it should be up to the airlines if you can carry on the plane since its private property. the airlines should provide safe storage for guns checked in when boarding the plane however if they wish not to allow you to carry

7) Should we as citizens have the right to carry in government buildings, including schools and colleges?
    yes. only private business should have the right to bar firearms from their premises

yes. automatic weapons are not any more dangerous then semi autos. if anything they waste ammo

9) Should convicted felons who have served their time, be legally allowed to own a firearm?
    yes. once their debt is paid to society all their rights should be reinstated

10) Would you be in favor of Constitutional carry (no permit required to carry) in exchange that every firearm be registered? HELL NO.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

1)Yes
    2)Yes
    3)No
    4)Yes - if there is going to even be a permit system because the 2nd Amendment does not say one needs a permit
    5)Yes, but you should be 100% responsible if you become drunk and do something illegal
    6)Yes
    7)Yes, but you should check your gun in courtrooms
    8)Yes, and they should not be required to be registered
    9)Yes
    10)No, because no firearm should have to be registered. History has shown us that registration is a slippery slope to confiscation
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm lazy this morning, so I'll just say that Hogger, and John, I agree with both of you.
  5. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I can see why there is so much debate on this issue.

If all people were sensible and responsible the answer would be to let anyone own a gun.

But, there are many whacky people out there who would pull a gun on you if you looked at them wrong.

Florida has some pretty easy gun rules but I don't see the crime rate being any worse than states like NY that have the ultra-restrictive Sullivan Law or perhaps Illinois that wants to do away with guns.

Someone needs to do a study of states with restrictive gun laws and compare with states with non-restrictive gun laws and see which has the highest crime rate.

I think Ronald Reagan had the right approach, let people own guns but if you use them in a crime an automatic 10-15 years should be added to the jail time.

That way you don't penalize people for simply owning a gun, only punish people who misuse them.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  6. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Yes. The Constitution doesn't say anything about crossing state lines, and any infringement by any state is illegal.

Yes. The constitution says nothing about concealment.

No. If it is in your glovebox then it is not accessible. That is plain stupid. Hang on Mr. Carjacker while I retrieve my protection from the glovebox.

Yes, but more specifically there should not be any carry permits. We should not have to pay the state in order to exercise a Constitutional right.

Yes. I say this, because the mere consumption of any alcohol while armed, legally or not, is against the law. Also, many states already allow this, and there is not one iota of information that eludes to the notion that shootings have increased because of it.

Yes. There are bad guys at airports, too. BG's in the parking lots waiting to mug you, or worse, and terrorists inside the airports waiting to board planes.

Yes. There are bad guys in these places as well. Sure there is usually armed law enforcement officers there, but they cannot follow every citizen to and from their vehicle and ensure their safety.

Yes. The Constitution does not make a distinction. The whole reason the 2nd Amendment exists is to keep a tyrannical government in check. They have automatic weapons, therefore the people should have them, too.

Yes and no. If it was a non-violent crime, then yes, I don't see a problem with it. If it was a violent crime, then no, because the likelihood of recidivism is high. I know that the latter can and will obtain a gun illegally, but I would rather they commit a crime with a illegal gun than a legal one. If they purchased a gun legally and used it in a crime it would just add fuel to the anti's fire.

10) Would you be in favor of Constitutional carry (no permit required to carry) in exchange that every firearm be registered?[/QUOTE]

No. Hell no! Nowhere in the Constitution is it said that the government needs to know everything about each of us. The government is already too intrusive. Through all the registrations that we already must submit to in order to live our lives, they already know way more about us than I am comfortable with.
  7. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

It's been done numerous times. Everywhere that gun laws have been relaxed, ALL crimes go down. Everywhere that has very restrictive gun laws, the crime rates, especially violent crimes, are much higher. I say they get what they deserve.
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

My answers stem from the foundation of this country.
    Anyone who can read.....understands.

The right of the people to keep AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed.
  9. willywonka

willywonka New Member

I agree that to be fair, I should answer this myself. I just didn't want to start off the thread with my answers. I figured I might bias a result.

Absolutely! In Washington, DC too!

Absolutely, in Washington, DC too!

My own state of VA requires this, or it be clearly visible. I'm opposed to both. Does anyone know if you're allowed to conceal carry on your person in a car if you have a permit?

Absolutely! In principle, I'm opposed to the requirement to obtain a permit.

This is where I'm iffy on. I don't think it's a good idea to use a firearm if you're intoxicated in any way, but you should be able to carry wherever you like with very few exceptions. So the place doesn't matter to me so much as if you're drunk. It makes sense to me that if it's a crime to drive while drunk, it should be a crime to use a firearm while drunk. Of course, then you run into the problem of say you have some beers at home and someone tries to break into your house. Not an easy thing to sort out in my mind.

Absolutely! I think you should probably have to check your gun in with your checked luggage, and have it unloaded. I'm no pilot, but a discharge on a plane I would think would be bad news. In those cases, I think everyone should be armed with non-lethal weapons like tasers in case some terrorist gets a funny idea.

Absolutely! I can understand them requiring you to check your gun in a court. I also think we should have the right to carry concealed on private property.

Yes. But I agree. I think autos are a waste of ammo.

Yes. If they have served their time, and are off of parole or probation or whatever, then they should have that right restored to them.

10) Would you be in favor of Constitutional carry (no permit required to carry) in exchange that every firearm be registered?

Hell no. But if we could get rid of all firearm regulations in exchange for registration, with it being perfectly clear that confiscation is not to happen under any circumstances for law abiding citizens? I think I'd be willing to make that deal.
  10. steve666

steve666 New Member

No. Hell no! Nowhere in the Constitution is it said that the government needs to know everything about each of us. The government is already too intrusive. Through all the registrations that we already must submit to in order to live our lives, they already know way more about us than I am comfortable with.[/QUOTE]

What he said!!!
  11. ghrit

ghrit New Member

An interesting twist, maybe. Remove all gov't supplied security details from all dot gov personnel (too expensive, you see, ms Botox face.) Betcha that would get the Congress moving towards rescinding all the stupid laws, since they would be stuck with them as well. I MIGHT allow an exception to that if/when we get a real president.
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

it might vary from state to state. but in kentucky with a ccw license you can conceal in your vehicle or put it under the seat or wherever. it's basically a license to conceal anywhere except schools courtroom and government buildings.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Funny thing is that the most outspoken anti-gun activists always have a large entourage of security armed with guns.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is that a Tennessee law that says drinking while carrying a gun is illegal, or is that your opinion that drinking while carrying SHOULD be illegal? Because your blanket statement is wrong. It is not illegal in Florida to drink while carrying. It is not illegal in Georgia to drink while carrying. It is not illegal in Alabama to drink while carrying. Probably it's not illegal most places to drink while carrying, but I know about those three states.
  15. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member