Gun newbie looking at ruger P95

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zene, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Zene

Zene New Member

I went to a local gun store because they had the Sigma 40S&W for $299 after rebate, but once i arrived I looked below the Sigma and there laid a simple yet sexy looking gun (most wont agree but i love the look) for 40 dollars more. It was the Ruger P95 9MM. The gun dealer let me pick it up and cock it. It has a metal guide rod, de-cocker with hammer (most people dont care for this but gives the gun more appeal to me), has a natural feel when holding it, and was softer then butter when cocking it back (compared to Sigma or Glock), .. I am hesitant because i had my heart set on a .40 or .45 cal, but after reading some of opinions from this topic http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=69902&highlight=p95 , I am rethinking to get the P95 with even more enthusiasm.

Any opinions? :)
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I had a Ruger P-95 for several years. It was a fine pistol, it handled well, was easy to maintain and shot to point of aim with 124-gr. bullets. It was a soft-shooting gun, as well. While I had no problem handling it (I have large hands) and could shoot it very accurately, the width of the polymer frame with a double-column magazine just wasn't a comfortable fit with me. It was very reliable - it never jammed or misfed the whole time I owned it - and a solid piece of hardware (like everything made by Ruger!).

BTW - If you buy it let me know - I still have two brand-new 15-rd. P-95 mags I'll sell you, cheap!
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  3. Zene

Zene New Member

Thanks man! i was actually looking into a bigger mag. Ill PM you!
  4. zb338

zb338 New Member

The Ruger P-95 is rather bulky for a 9 MM. Other than that,
    it will never let you down. It has a reputation for always going
    off and feeding all sorts of ammo. The accuracy is decent. The
    trigger could be better. All in all its a pretty good pistol for a
    pretty good price.
    Zeke
  5. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Sold my Sigma for a Glock. Never been happier.
  6. Zene

Zene New Member

hahaha, random comment?

Sure Glocks are great and reliable, but i like to see sexiness in my hand as well, and Glock just doesn't give that to me. :)
  7. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I still have my p95 I love it go for it.
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have a P94 in 40 S&W (made before they started calling them P944's) and it has been a great pistol for me. I have owned it for over 15 years and have never had a failure of any kind. I have shot factory, handloads you name it without issue. It has an easy takedown and is quite accurate. I don't believe you'll be disappointed with a P series ruger.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

summit *** ****** .com had a p95 for 245.00 a while back, i once had a p95 and loved it. didnt have any problems and it shot well enough i could hit a coke can at 50 yards with it
  10. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    The 15-rounders are the largest "factory" magazines Ruger offers or recommends. I believe there are some 17-rd mags that are "flush-fit" and it seems I've heard about reliability problems with them. I know there are higher capacity "extended-fit" magazines but most I've heard about are iffy at best, so be careful.
  11. Zene

Zene New Member

yea, i also forgot that in CA the maximum magazine size is 10 rounds and under for anything higher then a .22 cal handgun.
  12. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

If the majority of police agencies around the country carried a Ruger, I'd look at that. But they don't. There's a reason for that. They carry Glock.

In the words of a former military associate of mine: most guns are fine firearms, Glock however, now that's a weapon.
  13. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I don't think you will be disappointed. I have had a P89 in 9mm for almost 20 years, and it has never failed me. Not a single jam or other issue.
  14. Zene

Zene New Member

Like i said before. Glocks are reliable and have positive things to them, but they are ugly to me. Not something i want.. and if you look deep enough, im sure they're law enforcment officers who carry on duty, because i'm 100 percent sure they're some officers who purchase this pistol for home purposes.
  15. gunpir8

gunpir8 New Member

Everyone above has a good point! But I do not like the Ruger triggers. They feel too mushy to me. I would suggests finding a range where they let you demo a pistol or rent a pistol and hopefully they have a Ruger. I would shoot several different pistols before I purchased one, especially if you are new to pistols. I have several different pistols, including Springfield, FNH, Walther and Glocks. I favor Glocks by far but that is what I am used too. Most of my glocks, have had trigger work done on them to remove most of the over-travel and make the reset point have a crisper feeling. All the Glocks that I have had the trigger work done on have 3.5 lb trigger pulls. Do more research before you commit to one pistol.
  16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have the older P89 stainless and love it! Ive had it for years and havent had not one jam, no nothing! Not to big or bulky and handles well.
    Ps: I would have to look, but think I have a 30rnd clip that'll fit the P95.
  17. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I purchased my ruger P91 from a Ohio State Trooper who abslotely Loathed the glocks. t was in 40 cal. I have been kicking myself in the hind end for years for getting rid of that damn pistol. Get the Ruger cuz it will shoot as good as it looks and feels. I am nor have i ever been a big fan of the 9mm but the 40 I had shot excelent.
  18. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

most police departments carry glocks because a bean counter recommended it. also because it's simple and fool proof and it's very reliable. easy to work on and they require very little maintenace. excellent firearm . but that doesn't detract one bit from the ruger , built like a tank resonable price and will last a life time.
  19. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I couldnt agree with you more oscarmayer.;)
  20. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I bought a P-95 a coupla' years ago, and before long, the extractor lost temper. I got another one from Ruger. Same deal. It ain't a gun if it can't cycle ammo. For as long as I live, I will NEVER buy another P series pistol.
    On the good side, that led to my getting a Glock 19, and then a 17. Unless these are lost or stolen, I will NEVER need to buy another semi-auto pistol.
    Sexy? I don't get it. I don't buy firearms to have sex with them. They are machines.
    As for those elusive hi-cap magazines: Glock makes a 33 round mag that fits all of their 9mm pistols and performs flawlessly.