gun newbie looking for conceal carry options.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by willywonka, Oct 24, 2010.

1. willywonka

willywonka New Member

Hi, very much a newbie, and I wanted to look into conceal carry options. I recently checked out a few compacts, but I was thinking of going smaller. Does anyone know what the smallest conceal carry firearm might be?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the smallest might not be the best option. a naa mini is very small as are derringers. while they'll do in a pinch and better than no gun at all , it's really not a good first choice. you have to ask yourself, what caliber will i settle on, and go from there. experts will tell you a 380 is the smallest you should go . but now adays there are 9mm's the same size as 380's and you can always go with the tired and true 38 snub nose. anyway you slice it you need to investigate and try out as many guns as possible at a range that rents in order to make a informed choice. remember opinions are like belly buttons every one has one, one other consideration what is the threat level you might face ? if you live in or visit the "hood" i would suggest ( besides a life style change ) a couple of 45's or hi- cap 9mm's.things also to consider besides threat level, and caliber, are you going to practice alot, is the gun a hand full ? example simmerling is a small 45 acp , cute gun , handy as they come but painfull to fire , ( too large a caliber in a smal package ) so again don't go with advice from seasoned shooters, go with what is best for you. for newbies i always suggest a revolver, easier to learn and plety of firepower in most situations. but again rent a few different models and see what fits you best....
  3. willywonka

willywonka New Member

all very good points, and thank you for them. But I suppose I should have given a little more info here. I'm a big fan of the NAA mini revolvers. But I was thinking of the smallest semi-auto available. I don't think my threat level is very high, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, and be able to easily conceal something on my person. This would be used more as a backup, something I might be able to put around my ankle or just drop in my pocket. I'm looking at a Beretta PX4 or S&W as my primary conceal carry, and it will be 9mm, but I'm just looking for additional options.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    so far you have been given some good advise,i carry a north american arms mini revolver in 22 mag if i am wearing shorts and a pull over t shirt.i also carry depending on clothing,anything from a full size 45 government model to a 38 special model 85 in 38 special and everything in between.i would also advise carring a good knife,the same applies as far as size.hope this helps old semperfi
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

given the new additional information i'd consider the naa guardian in 380 or if you're comfortable with a 32 the 32 acp with winchester silver tips will get you out of a jam, as will the beretta tomcat in 32 acp
  6. group17

group17 New Member

7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Dittos on the Kahr. Lately they've been on sale for around $400.00...an excellant buy in my opinion. That's 7 shots of 9mm in a very small package.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

try out a compact or sub-compact glock. lots of people i know like them. my choice would be a smaller 1911.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

might check out the ruger LCP and the kel tec p32 semi autos
  10. SARG

SARG Member

I second oscarmayer's suggestion to look at the small 38 spl. J frames.... especially for a beginner seeking a dependable protection piece. Reliable and easy to carry.
  11. JoeV

JoeV Member

I agree with trying out different guns. I made the mistake of buying a Kel-Tek PF9 before shooting it, and it sits in the safe today because the trigger guard is too close to the trigger for my not-so-fat trigger finger, and since it is DAO, the trigger will not reset fully unless I only use the tip of my finger on the trigger. Not so good for me, but if you have slender fingers, it's a good ankle gun. I replaced it with a Taurus TCP which is even smaller than the PF9, and is a true 7-shot .380 pocket gun or ankle gun. Good luck as there are a lot of viable choices out there today.
  12. dualsportrider

dualsportrider New Member

Answer this first, what kind of climate do you live in? What do you usually wear? This can have alot to do with your choice. What kind of work do you do? Some folks can get away with carrying bigger guns and some can't. I go with 38 snubs pocket carry.
  13. willywonka

willywonka New Member

I live in Virginia. I'm a big enough guy that I don't usually wear a coat in the winter. Usually a good sweater or hoodie will do me fine.
  14. willywonka

willywonka New Member

I've never been much of a glock fan, but I'm beginning to think that something like a glock 19 is the way to go as a primary carry. I'm also looking at the kahr cw9. I might go with a kel tec or a ruger LCP as a back up gun.

one thing I keep thinking though is that those little NAA revolvers are so tiny that it would be so easy to carry. I know they're only 22LRs, but an itty bitty gun is a gun that I'm more likely to carry on my person without thinking about it.

What do you guys think of something between that and something like a ruger LCP?
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have an NAA mini. it is pretty small and easy to carry. you cannot shoot it rapid fire though, it recoils in such a manner that follow up shots are very slow. the suggestion of a j frame smith is a good one. course i do have a smith 642 so i am partial a tad. but it carries well, and shoots well. i've been able to hit a man sized target out to 75 yards with mine. while i dont have an LCP or a keltec i would love to have one because of the thinness. it would be easy to slip in a pocket.

for a larger gun there are a lot of choices, glocks and 1911's are at the top of my list. i carry a glock 22 most of the time, although i have had a full size, commander, and compact 1911's.

dont suppose you have any friends with various guns that might let you carry them a while to see how you like each one. i'd let you try my 642 if you lived around here
  16. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Take the NRA pistol course - there are two, and I'd suggest the extended version that includes actual shooting - before you do another thing.
  17. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Try out the Glock 23 also. It's basically the same gun as the 19, only it's chambered in .40 S&W instead of 9mm Luger.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Another big guy here. I usually carry a 1911A year round, and don't have any problems with carrying it. Sometimes I carry a small .38 in my pocket as a BUG (back up gun), but when in light shorts I carry the NAA in .22 Mag. Like you I'm not much of a Glock fan, but the guns do work well. I just like what I grew up with; what I'm used to. Take a closer look at the NAA in .22 Mag.
  19. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

If you carry a large enough primary with a few reloads, you don't have a need for a backup...jmho
  20. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    California reload?