gun oil alternative

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunlearner, Apr 7, 2008.

1. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

friends
    as some of you know i do not live in you great nation, i live in ecuador great country and yes is a thirld world country and so am trying to find out what is the best alternative gun oil, is it 20-40w? is it wd40 or syntetic oil??
    in ecuador we do not have many choises to buy so i got to find the best for steel guns and polymer frames

thank you for your time

vr

gl
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
    * 1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
    * 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
    * 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits
    * CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.
    * 1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
    (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

Mixing Inst and more info

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

Gunlearner, keep it simple. If you can find WD-40, use it. WD stands for water displacement. :)

ART

Edit:
    P.S. I am in agreement with Popguner below. If you have 3in1 oil I would use that before WD-40.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Saludos Gunlearner

Tres-en-uno acete (3in1 oil) was available when I was in South America years ago & it works well.

WD-40 is a little thin but it works.

If all else fails you could use Acete de motor.

If you're using the oil for air rifles you would want to use transmission fluid. It won't rot rubber parts.
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Plain old olive oil has been used for centuries. is olive oil readily available to you, yes the kind you cook with?
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

WD-40is ok for short term, but dries up and gums up pretty quickly. I use Ballistol or Kroil. If I need a little drop when at the range or in the field, I've been known to pull the dipstick on the automatic transmission. :D Don't use the dipstick for the engine oil, though, as there is too much likelyhood of picking up some grit with it.

ED's Red is great. I would test a tiny spot on the polymer first, even though they claim the poly is resistant to everything from acid to camel spit.

Pops
  8. merrill

merrill New Member

I would not recommend using any product that contains acetone on polymer. Acetone damages most plastics with the exception of high density polyethylene.
    Merrill
  9. Michael G

Michael G New Member

Take a look at "Corrosion X" products. I've used it on my firearms as a lubricant and as a rust preventer, and it seems to work just fine.

http://www.corrosionx.com/
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

May I suggest, in a pinch if available, Marvel Mystery Oil. It is a great light lubricant or a lithium/graphite light grease.
  11. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    This guy said he lives in Equador, where he has a limited selection of products. And he's looking for lubrication, not bore cleaning.

If you've got synthetic motor oil, I think that's great - I use it instead of all the specialized gun oils. It's too expensive to run it through the car engine (mine changes, or at least drains, its own oil). But it's dirt cheap compared to tiny bottles of specialized gun oils.

I echo what Popgunner and JMMitchel60 said, though I'm not too keen on vegetable oils especially in humid climates because they absorb moisture and form acids. Ok for lubrication, but no good for corrosion resistance. They also gum up quicker than mineral oils.

Also, a little light grease on the slide rails will work, like blue automotive lithium grease, so called "white grease" or vaseline. Motor oil will work fine, and the variable weight doesn't matter. Btw, why would you use multigrade in Equador? Isn't it always about the same temperature there? You ought to be using 30w or 40w in engines, not 10w30. Plain kerosene will work to clean out the gunk, if you live in a dirty or dusty area without eliminating corrosion resistance.
  12. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark

Thank you Sir.......:)
  13. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

User
    The climate in South America is generaly warmer than North America in the summer but I have shivered my butt off there during winters that are at freezing & have 90% humidity. I was usually at sea level & the mountainous areas are even colder. Multi-weight oils there make sense.

It's a different world there as far as obtaining shooting stuff. I never saw anything resembling a sporting goods store there. To be able to shoot air rifles there we used rolls of lead wire cut into "pellets" with a pocket knife.

Often in South America there are no stores-just butcher's, bakeries & often all the rest is bought from people in their homes in what's called an "almacen" where they sell cheese, crackers, olive oil(often in 5 gallon cans), toilet paper, etc. but the list of available items is very short.

Also, even though one may have internet & be able to see items for sale the possibility of getting a company to ship to SA(not possible usually) & then not having your item stolen in the post is quite discouraging.

I think his best bet will be 3in1 oil as it will work well & is widely available there. I never saw any other "specialty" oils there.
  14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Any good internal motor oil should work. Check with any industrial maintenance folks and see what they use in high heat/high pressure applications.
  15. glocknut

glocknut New Member

How about some ID brand personal lube...with ZING.... :D Would that work???? :D:D:D:D:D:D

mike
    gn