gun question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by pdg929, Aug 15, 2012.

1. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

my grandfather left me some guns when he passed one is a 30-40 kreg and the other i have no idea the are in storage rite now so i dont have any pictures ( i know that would help a bunch) but its from about the same time period and it has the same side type magizine that the 30-40 kreg does is there any other gun with the same type side magizine as the 30-40 kreg and it is bolt action flip up sights if you have any ideas or pictures of what it could b i would appriciate it thank you
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As far as I know, only Krag used that "box magazine that flips open, on the side of the gun" thing.

There were, however, more than just the "30/40 Krag". Mr. Krag was Norwegian (Danish? Scandinavian, anyway), and invented the gun over there. There were several versions, in several different calibers. The gun was slightly modified by another guy named Jorgensen, when we decided to use it for our military. So while most people just say "Krag" when talking about the 1892/96/98 US rifle, it is really "Krag-Jorgensen" just like Harley is really Harley Davidson.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

It could be a Krag full length Rifle and then a Krag carbine?

They made them both, and I believe in almost the same amounts. I usually see more carbines than rifles at shows.

For what it is worth, my wife's grandpa hunted deer for 40 years or more with a Krag carbine with a side mount Weaver 4x on it in PA, and killed his fair share of them right up until the season before he died, when he got his last buck.

I still have his reloading gear for it, but a worthless bro-in-law got the rifle, which he promptly sold probably for drug money:mad:

I am reminded of it and him every time I check prices on Krag carbines at shows, and see how much they have appreciated since then:mad::mad::mad:
  4. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Sorta a fyi, Krag rifles/carbines can be rather valuable guns; if un-altered. Should you be lucky enough to have inherited an original condition Krag be careful how you treat it, the condition and finish really do affect the value of the gun.
    Post pictures and you will get a much better range of information/opinions re. the value and correctness of these guns. Even if they have been sportered (as many have been) they have a wonderfully smooth action and make nice hunting guns and fun shooters.
  5. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

thanks guys next time ill grab them whe im at storage and take some pics
  6. Steyr

Steyr New Member

Danish & etc. Krags are chambered for 6.5x55 - could be one of them?