1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Gun Rest Question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gerard488, Oct 7, 2012.

1. gerard488

gerard488 Member

I am building a shooting rifle rest that will slide to absorb recoil, Now I can sure use some advice on what to use for springs and shock absorbers. I can use compression springs or tension springs or maybe shocks with spring as a unit. Going to mount springs/shocks on both sides of rest. Just not sure what size or tension to use
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

its gonna throw the rifles vibration harmonics way off. poi shift between shooting mounted in that thing and shooting off the shoulder will be huge. If recoil is all youre working against get a dead mule recoil absorber and shoot from the shoulder. if youre building a heavy bench gun dont worry about springs. those things are so heavy one in .300 winmag wouldnt kick much..
  4. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Why Not?
  5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Why not?

Well let's start with this...do you NOT enjoy firing rifles?

The recoil is too much for you that you think that you need to attach it to a rest with springs and shocks so that you can shoot it?

And there's the fact that a rifle will not shoot to the same point of aim when switching from a rest that completely holds the gun and when you shoot it as it was designed.

Personally I think if a person is not handicapped in some way that they actually need such a thing to shoot then it is a joke. Why shoot if you need to have a device hold the gun and eliminate recoil?

What's next with those that do this? A rest to hold the rifle, shocks and springs to tame the recoil and a remote trigger device to fire the rifle. You could set it all up and then use a few cameras so that you could just set at your computer and shoot the gun. No need to get hot or cold, no recoil, no loud bangs if you are far enough away....and no darn fun either if you ask me.

I enjoy shooting guns, all kinds of guns from the 17Mach2 to the big magnum center fire rifles. When the day comes that I can no longer shoot a rifle as it was designed to shoot I'll quit shooting it and sell it.

I just don't understand it at all so maybe you can explain to me why you think this idea is a good one and something that you need so that you can shoot.

Again...if it's a physical handicap that requires such a device to be able to shoot then please disregard the above.
  6. gerard488

gerard488 Member

First of all, I do enjoy guns, anything to do with guns including shooting them.
    I had to give up shooting my 7mm rem mag because of a neck injury and no, I can`t handle heavy recoil anymore.
    Now, back to the gun rest:
    In your last post, you stated: "
    And there's the fact that a rifle will not shoot to the same point of aim when switching from a rest that completely holds the gun and when you shoot it as it was designed."
    "Fact" Pretty Strong word in this statement. Has this "fact" ever been proven? If so, How?
    The point of aim and the point of impact should always be the same if the rifle is sighted in properly. The thing that changes is the point of aim because of body movement or anythng else that can cause the rifle to move. How many people can fire 10 rounds from a hard hitting centerfire magnum rifle and not change their "point of aim" even a fraction?
    All that being said, the reason for a rifle rest is to test the true accuracy of the rifle more so than that of the shooter.
    Again , Who proved the "fact" of point of aim theory that you speak of and How or When was it proven?
  7. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Springs and crap like that will make it useless! You can not shoot the big boys anymore then buy/ build a railgun or a .22lr.

If you have to have a rest that takes out recoil then they only way to do it and keep any accuracy is DEAD WEIGHT. As the railgun's and the Caldwell lead sled use.
  8. spuznick242

spuznick242 New Member

I dont think it was intended against you in any way, you have a reason for the stand, who cares if its point of aim changes whether its being held by a person or by a stand, we'll just go about how to help you build the stand since you have a use for it other than wanting to put together good groups wihtout practice. What kind of recoil are you looking to put it up against? .50AE or .a .338 lapua?
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is a fact. see post #3 above. Its all in the free recoil of the rifle and vibration dampening. Same way an unfloated stock will change POI with weather and humidity as the stock swells and warps against the barrel. Ive proven it to myself repeatedly thru years of shooting experience.

Try this if you still dont believe me.. Take your zeroed at 100 yds rifle and loosen the front stock screw. then go shoot it again. bet cha money POI will be more than a couple inches off from where it was before.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

g'day and welcome to the forum

i'm a nutcase inventor who likes to shoot and help others to shoot

wheel chair folks and other less abled

the folks have told you straight up

springs as matched as best you can will wear and recoil at differing rates no matter what you do

so two springs are bad

however

seen them old old springs about 3-4" long ?? they pull the wire net in bed bases tight

i've affixed a single one of these to a wheel chair shooters front board over a sand
    bag

and thats stopped the rifle recoiling into their ribs as they cant lean as far over as they wish so we also have a scope that outputs to a 10" pc screen so they can sight it but not via the scope directly but via the video output

its doable but you gotta set it up well

i've a bum shoulder and cant shoot the big stuff all day either so mainly use .22's or BP as these dont affect me so much

cheers
  11. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

12. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

What are you comfortable/able to shoot? Also, are you having range of motion issues that impair movement, basically, what type restriction do you have?

There are several ideas that can apply to reducing actual recoil and/or perceived recoil ranging from muzzle brakes to rifle fit. Shooting from a fixed "sled" is one way, but the change in harmonics and the additional stress on the stock are the negatives to this solution.

What rifles beyond the 7 mag are you looking to shoot in this manner, is this a "fix" for multiple guns? What rifle is the 7mag, what weight ect....

Quite often I shoot from the bench using a old doctors bag to support the rifle in a "v" that lets me pay attention to the sights and less attention to supporting the gun and my stance/position. From this position the fit of the rifle changes slightly and the length of pull seems different which can make the rifle either more of less comfortable depending on the gun.