gun rest

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Sep 21, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Very nice workmanship!!!:)
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I got mine from a man in PA Made by machinist students at a community college it Cost me $225 and is comparable to rests that cost 3 times as much.

I have seen about 10 Caldwell rests and they were all junk.

"Joseph Cowan" <cowanhaus@gmail.com>

Email him it takes about a year to get it but it is well worth the wait.
  3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Take a look at the following website from National Match Rifle Rest, I use the Model 2 (with some modifications). If your looking for long range accuracy, this one will do the trick.

www.nationalmatchriflerest.com
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I do agree with you that there are "better" rests out there and I have one myself but I don't think the Caldwell rests "are all junk".
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Well I went to Bass Pro and picked up a caldwell zero max. Cheap rest but VERY stable from my other one. When I get my mig welder replaced Im going to start making different ones. They had a caldwell for about $99 but it has a recoil block like some others and i dont need that. Thanks for the info everybody.
  6. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Oh heck, you shouldn't have bought that Caldwell. cpttango30 has seen about 10 of them and they were all junk.;)
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just use 20 dollar winchester brand sandbags from walmart. The key is a sturdy bench and good fundamentals. My bench is a wooden bench i built myself. concreted into the ground and a sturdy wooden stool. and a couple wooden trays for setting under the bags to get the right height or angle for shooting different ranges.

Attached Files:

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and some more.. All shot from the very setup i described above some shot with handguns and others with rifles.

Attached Files:

9. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I use the rest like gun runner showed also. But mostly I use unfilled Caldwell bags filled with the cheap 20 lb bags of rice from walmart. Sand tends to leak and get into stuff. The rice is lighter, doesn't leak and still holds its shape when used at the bench. Put some of those little moisture dessicant packs in with it and it works fine.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The winchester bags i use are filled with extruded nylon polymer pellets.
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    using a solid type rest will not give you true accuracy.its impossible to hold a gun that firmly by hand.i cut the legs off bluegeans or my old camo pants and fill it with various things like rice,sometimes shot and other times sand.i hand sew these myself but you could take the pants legs to a seemstress and have her sew all but one inch so you have a place to fill then simply finish by hand once full.i probably have a doxen misc bags.the length is up to you and the design.its much cheaper making your own than buying them. old semperfi
  12. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Yea, I see those pant leg bag front rests at all the shoots.

The benchrest guys use silk pants legs for extra accuracy.

:);)

You don't hold the gun tight when shooting from a rest. Only my trigger hand touches the rifle and it is free to recoil. No holding it tight, it's "resting" in the front rest and rear bag.
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Same here GunHugger. I let the rilfe rest on the exact same bags JLA was talking about, most of the time, and the only part of rifle that touches anything is the front "sandbag" the butt of the rifle with my non-shooting hand to to stablize and my trigger hand holding the rifle.
  14. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My RCBS RASS works great in the field, and in my back yard, but my shooting range is pretty tight at the 100 yard line with concrete benches so I have to do most of my load development off bipods with Shooters Rest bags under the stock off the congrete benches.

But If I could I would use the RASS for everything...it is built like a Tank, on four adjustible for both length and for uneven ground outrigger legs and resembles a heavy swivel .50 Call AA mount;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

When Im at the bench I get nestled in behind the rifle. I move and adjust until i can fully lean against the rifle and bench without moving the rifle. Then my face just kisses the cheekrest enough so i can see thru the scope, my right hand is delicately put in place so i can engage the trigger so as if it were a button to be pressed to the rear and my left hand is curled under the rifle and used the gently squeeze the rear bag to adjust the POA. The front bag is set directly under the recoil lug of the rifle for each shot as I feel it is the best place for the rifle to rest for best accuracy.

Thats just my bench technique. I shoot prone a little differently, but still fundamentally the same. And differently only because Im a fat guy and its not comfortable to lay on my belly for very long.

My offhand technique is solid and i prefer a sling for best accuracy. But iron sighted with the M1 I can hit the 250 yd plate with every shot. My M1 is well used and does have a sling. The 03A3 is a tad more accurate than the M1 and it has a much better sling. I can actualy go camp perry with it.