Gun Rights Organizations

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by RunningOnMT, Apr 23, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Does anyone else ever get the feeling that there are a whole bunch of organizations out there that claim to be fighting for our rights, but really exist for the sole purpose of making our wallets a little lighter? I'm not just talking about the NRA. Right now there are about a half dozen that keep trying to hit me up for a donation. It seems like they must be passing my name around because everytime I contribute to one, another one comes along in a matter of days. I've been getting the same email from Rand Paul about Obama banning a million guns (the year old story about the M1 carbines) for quite awhile now, but the letter reads like it just happened.

I could extend this complaint to all political causes. I get an average of 4 calls a week from one group or another. First it's the RNC, then the College Republicans, then some other conservative cpac, and on and on. Honestly I'm getting a bit irritated. I hate to say no because I agree with most of their messages, but I just can't do it all. To make matters worse, if you donate one time they'll be right back in a few weeks wanting more. These call center people don't take "no" for an answer. Most of them start off asking for $250.00, then reduce it incrementally each time you say no.

I'm about fed up with it and really starting to feel that many of these groups spend the majority of their time and resources doing fund raising rather than working for the cause they claim to be fighting for. Pardon me if I feel like we are all being scammed. I'm about to the point of telling everyone an emphatic "NO", hanging up, then limiting all my future contributions to the Wounded Warrior Project and the local food bank. What say you all?

P.S. I should add I happen to like Rand Paul, I just get a little peeved that the group using his name to ask for money is being deceptive by running around screaming "The sky is falling" about yesterday's news.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

block the calls on your phone
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I understand you complaint 100% .I joined the NRA this year and everyone said oh no now there gonna bug you to death.Ive only had on call and it wasnt wanting my money it was wanting my vote for one of the congrressional races which I agree with oh and they sent me a sweepstakes to try and win guns no donation required.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

The only people that have my ph# are those I want to have it. If I get a call from a number I don't recognize, I don't answer it. They are free to leave a message, but they never do.:rolleyes:
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have been getting that feeling for quite a while.

Me either, I have even been questioning my LOCAL organization as of late, as well as some of the "other" ones.

By MANY more than just gun rights organizations.

SAF and the Cato institute seem to be doing the best lately, when it comes to our 2nd amendment rights.
  6. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

I've heard that GOA is also pretty good at not spamming.
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Just joined GOA tonight.
  8. JasonS

JasonS New Member

Could be touchy, we dont want the big dogs to turn us all on each other. They would just love it if we weakened our links.
  9. 56Python

56Python New Member

I donate what I can to the organizations whose stated agenda, I agree with. I have a "Gmail Address" that I use for these donations and nothing else. I do have to go in and clean out the messages at least once a week, But I believe the fund raising is a necessity to their existence and I don't allow it to bother me. I do watch what these organizations are doing and if I feel that they are going off-course, I cross them off the list.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012