gun rumors???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Ledslnger, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I really want a .17mach 2, but there aren't many available. Anyone hear or read about any companies adding to the mix in this caliber in the near future? I am interested in bolt actions, but may have to go with a Ruger convert or Magnum Research semi-auto.
  2. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

They'll come back around. The rifle companies run production cycles on their models and calibers. Never really understanding Ruger shutting down all long guns to make a certain run of their handguns, next another style handgun then onto shotguns.
  3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

You may want to revisit your desire for a 17 Mach2, most manufactuers only produce models that are selling, in the world of 17 calibers, the 17 Mach2 has taken a backseat to the more popular and better performing 17HMR. On a recent visit to my local Cabela's I found that they only offered one single brand of 17 Mach2 ammo and tons of 17HMR. As the popularity of the 17 Mach2 continues to decline, ammunition will also become more difficult to obtain, the Remington 5MM Rimfire may be a classic example of the 17 Mach2 future, good caliber, but no real interest.
  4. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I just can't bring myself to pay double the cost for .17HMR ammo when compared to the mach 2. And, I think the mach 2 bridges the gap in performance better than the HMR. The HMR because of the cost of ammo I compare to the Ruger .204 and the like and it doesn't have the performance when compared to the .204 in my opinion. The mach 2 bridges the gap for me between the .22 and the Ruger .204 well.
    May have to save my pennies and get a special order Cooper someday.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

Good quality Ruger .204 such as Hornady Vmax cost about $20 for a box of 20, while a box of 50 of .17 HMR Vmax costs about $12-$14 dollars. So I don't see how you can compare the cost of HMR to .204.

I agree with the above, if .17HM2 doesn't make a turn around, it is going to get more and more scarce.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

I have a CZ 452 Varmint in 17HM2. The cartridge is a disappointment to me. After all the Hornady hype I expected laser accuracy. The gun just matches my Volquartsenized 10/22 (22LR) for accuracy. That's not bad, just not worth the extra cost of the ammo over 22LR. Maybe a hunter would find the 17HM2 better than 22LR for small animal hunting but I only shoot paper.

If you gun does not like the only ammo's available (mine likes the Eley) then you are screwed. The Hornady/CCI ammo made groups twice as big as the Eley and the Remington ammo split the difference.

If the ammo dries up the guns will be useless. If you are looking for something between 204 and 22LR and you reload maybe 22 Hornet might be a good choice. You'd have to go through the numbers but it might not be that expensive to shoot. I love my CZ in 22 Hornet.

The 10/22 conversions to 17HM2 can be a nightmare. It seems so simple but manufacturers of semi auto guns found it a nightmare and that is why you do not see any on the market. The gas characteristics of the 17HM2 are no way like the 22LR and any 22LR semi auto platforms do not take kindly to the much higher and faster gas pressures. Yes, some have made them work but if the bolt fails to completely close the results can easily be a blown case and hot gases in your face. The home conversion are the worst as few home builders know how to do it right. There are some commercial builders of the 10/22 in 17HM2 that seem to have figured it out but there is still a risk as the gun was never meant to handle gas pressure like the 17HM2 delivers.

But this is all just my opinion and you get to choose.

LDBennett
  7. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I reload so the cost of the .204 isn't quite as high for me. Plus, when I have the time I enjoy doing it.

Well, I may just sit back and watch the market then for a while and see what happens with the mach 2. I do love the .22s though so maybe a high end .22 is my best bet in time. Thanks for the info guys.
  8. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Considering they have two different production facilities that each make different models, they do not shut down all long guns to make a run of handguns nor vise versa. Actually for much of their production, they utilize Lean manufacturing. Orders come in, production is determined based on those orders. What hurt a lot of 17M2 production was ammo failure.
  9. Shedhorn

Shedhorn New Member

On the outset we had a large stock of 17mach2 ammo. We sold a few guns the first year of introduction but sells took a nose dive after that. We sold the ammo at cost just to make it go away, last year I think.
    I agree, you'll few fewer and fewer 17mach2 in the future.
  10. accident

accident Active Member Supporting Member

I have the same CZ-452 varmint in 17M2 just as LD has.I'm happy with everything about mine but I fear the ammo will in the future become extinct.I am afraid when my sons inherit my gun collection they will have a fine gun in the CZ-452 but no ammo to shoot except what I can buy now and stock up for them.I wish I had bought it in .22lr. JOE
  11. Vincent

Vincent New Member

What a bunch of poop.

Performance: 2100 fps means it has a .5 inch mid range trajectory when shooting 100 yards. This makes it probably the best squirrel round ever made. Inside of 100 yards you can hold right on and know that it will never be more than .5" high. For head shooting squirrels I can not imagine a better round.

Pressure. The 22 lr the 22 Mag and the 17M2 all have the exact same SAAMI Max Average Pressure. That is 24,000 PSI as measured by the piezoelectric strange gauge method. The 17 HMR is 27,000 PSI. It is true the pressure curve is a little steeper than the the 22 lr but the max is the worst.

Blown cases or Out of Battery Discharge. The 22 lr has many times more OBD than the 17M2 simply because there are many more rifles. I has a friend that refuses to clean his gun nad his Rem 552 Speedmaster 22 let go right next to me and I was spladdered by powder and brass. Shooting glasses are a good thing. In both rounds the cause is the same. Dirty chambers in semiautos. A hard ring of metal,carbon and bullet lube builds up at the front of the chamber. I NEVER have an OBD because I clean my chambers religiously. I bend a 22 or 17 cal "rifle" brush (they are the longer ones) so that the pointy end is a little longer than a loaded round. This way I can lock the bolt back and reach in through the ejection port with the brush with a bit of solvent on it. I use brass brushes but other tell me the plastic ones work too. After some in and out and twisting I pull two dry patches though with my Patch Worm. This is even more important with the bottle necked 17. Result? No loud noises.

Ammo availability? No you may never have 20 different ammo choices but some of it will be around long enough for anyone reading this. PLEASE do not compare this to the Rem 5mm. 10 times as many rifles were made in 17M2 and are still being made. The 5mm was in a bad place because only one company ever made the guns (yes I know a very few 5mm Contender barrels were made) and they made very few in comparison.

The 17M2 will be around. If you are at all worried about it why not buy a stash now? The more ammo we buy the more reason the companies have to keep making more.

It is stupid internet threads like this one that WILL kill the 17m2 if it ever goes:eek::banghead::barf:
  12. accident

I hope you are right Vincent in future availability of m2 ammo.In comparing it to the 5mm Rem which came out in 1970 in the 591 or 592 rifle only.it was a good bullet but they discontinued in 1974.Not many sold.I think you are right in the fact that many .17m2 have been sold and by several manufacturers.Hopefully there will be enough demand to keep Hornady selling them in the future. Joe
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

NAA mad a mini revolver in that caliber for a quick minute. I don't know what they were thinking.
  14. accident

Interesting 3/2 STA SS. Probably was a fun gun to shoot.
  15. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I came very close to buying a CZ 452 in .17 Mach2 but the lack of ammo competition kept me from going that way. Every gun is picky about the ammo it shoots and when you only have one choice you don't have any way to compare to other brands of ammo (because there aren't any). It does make a lot more sense than the "other .17" but it looks like it is gone at least for now. I haven't seen one on a shelf in a couple of years now. And I never see the ammo anymore. If you do get one do yourself a favor and stock up on ammo big time. You may not get another chance. But that's what I thought about my 7.62 x 25 Tokarev. I couldn't find ammo for that pistol for about 5 years so I finally sold it even though I didn't want to at all. But I firgured a pistol with no ammo is just a paperweight so I sold it. The next thing I know the ammo is everywhere and I have no idea where to track down the pistol I had and I'm sure they wouldn't want to sell it for what I sold it for. That was my biggest gun mistake ever IMO. I rarely sell any guns unless I already have several of the same model and I really don't like to sell good ones.
  16. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

You can pretty much stick a fork in .17Mach2 until some enterprising individual comes up with a solid-working semi-auto Pistol & semi-auto Rifle.

Until then, it is headed for the same demise as the 5mm...

Had it come out 10 years earlier...it would have RULED...but with .17 HMR hitting about the same time, it just didn't have a chance.
  17. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Volquartsen!?! They have the stuff to do both. I think they may have the mach 2 as an option to buy in semi auto rifle currently also. Pistols though they just have the barrels and such to covert Rugers over to the mach 2.