Gun Safe - How to Sell?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LockedNLoaded, Aug 22, 2011.

1. LockedNLoaded

LockedNLoaded New Member

Hi All -

I have a gun safe that I am wanting to sell. It is a cheaper Stack On safe with model number GC-908-5. I've never sold anything like this before and I am wondering what the best way to sell it is?

My first thought is Craigs List, but I'm always a little nervous about who I may have coming to my house from Craigs List, especially for something like this.

Are the wanted ads, like Craigs List, the best way to sell a gun safe or is there something else that I should look into?

Thanks in advance!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I will usually ask friends first and post an ad at the gun range. Next option is CL or newspaper. I usually try to meet away from my home if I can, the Wallyworld parking lot is a good place. A gunsafe can be a bit large to do that with though, so just use your better judgement and talk to the prospective buyer on the phone first to feel him out.

Hope this helps you and welcome to the forum,

Woolley
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Solid advice as usual Worm.

Run an ad for it here on TFF in Buy/Sell/Trade and see if someone in your area hits on it. Course you will have to include your location in the ad.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Perhaps your local gun shop would consign it for you? I think they'd want a decent cut just based on how big it would be in the shop, but it's way better than letting every idiot on Craigslist come to your house.

If it were me, I'd load it onto a trailer. That trailer (under shelter) would be its home until it sold, so I could always meet people in town. Even offer delivery for a bit extra ;) But I have the means to do that, even if it took a month or two to sell, and most don't have that luxury.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Depending on your state, Armslist.com is a great place to sell firearms-related stuff. Indiana is very active, with 25 or so new posts every day.

I made another deal on there just today.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Don't know where you live but most larger cities have at least on dealer in used safes of all kinds. We have one and his used safe business is larger than the new safe business. That might be an angle for you and he will be equipped to move it.
  7. LockedNLoaded

LockedNLoaded New Member

Wow! Thanks for the quick and varied replies! I really appreciate it a ton. I'm not sure what I will do exactly, but I'll surely look into all of the presented options.
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If you do have prospective customers coming to your house after having advertised a gun anything, make sure you have an appointment time agreed upon and have a friend or two there when they show up. There are many stories out there where the word gun in an advertisement attracted attention from unwanted guests.

Pops
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

I know there have been a few true stories about bad experiences with craigslist, but I've sold dozens of items through CL without a single problem.

Big advantage of CL - it's free, and you keep it local without worrying about shipping.

If I have something to sell, I put it in my garage - if that's feasible for you, it avoids the issue of having strangers in your house. My ads always state, "cash only, pickup only". When you receive an email from an interested buyer, your email address is scrambled - you can often get a sense of the buyer from their reply. So you decide whether to answer or not. I always get a phone number - if something did go wrong, you'd at least have that number later. I set a firm time for them to come over, and I'm waiting outside the garage. Never at night, no exceptions. Most of my CL sales have taken less than two minutes.

I've sold appliances, tools, yard equipment - a wide variety of stuff. I've also bought a few things though CL, and I never go into someone's home - I always have them bring it outside. Interestingly, I've encountered several sellers who always seem to have an extra person hanging around for security.
  10. medalguy

medalguy Member

Check at any ranges near you and see if you can put up a flyer with the safe listed. Finally, if someone comes over to see the safe, you can mention that you are moving and have to get rid of the safe. That *might* prevent someone from coming back later.