Gun Safe Info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neverhome, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Sorrowful Jones

Sorrowful Jones New Member

DD, Do you have a favorite brand or model? I am considering selling my smaller Morgan safe and getting a larger one? Thanks
  2. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

DD's recommendation has been this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/Pioneer-Safe
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Amsec I don't know about dd safes but I sat and talked to the amsec guy at shot and hands down thatis my next safe.
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

I was looking at a pentagon from sportsmans steel. But DD's choice is the same safe for thousands less. the more money i save on the safe, the more firearms i can buy:D:D:D
    Thanks DD;)
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

:yeahthat::thumbsup:
  6. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I think DD committed suicide!:eek::rolleyes:
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nope, just watching folks spend their gun money when they dont have to. Its kind of amusing.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Are most of them re-runs?
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

They are starting to be re runs. I guess we can start naming them....lets see...how about the new 1911 I could have had....or the two new matching glocks I only dream about......or my wifes new ring she always wanted but I let it slip away.......naaa, maybe not.
  10. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

The Cabela's catalog on safes does not match it up with the Liberty safe models so I can't answer the question. It also does not give the internal temp rating so once again I cannot answer. However at 1200 degrees for 60minutes and 83,000 BTU's I am reasonable sure the guns should survive. It also comes with a cool pocket pouch on the door liner to place documents and papers in and an expanding Paulsol heat seal around the door that expands up to 7 times it normal thickness to keep out heat and smoke around the door, so that reinforces my comfort level. It is also in my cellar so if the house does start to burn, a lot of the water from the fire department should drip down to the cellar providing a little more cooling.

It wasn't the most expensive safe out there, but it does seem to have a lot going for it and it suits my purpose. Fire, although a ligitimate concern, was not my primary reason for purchasing it. An increase in breakins was my prime motivator.

I did buy the dial lock instead of the electronic one for several reasons.
    The first was the reliability of steel over plastic push pads, the second was the fact that if the SHTF, batteries may become hard to find if findable at all.The third reason, and I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this, was if there were to be nuclear war and an electomagnetic pulse from a bomb was unleashed, most electronic circuits would be fried. I suspect the electronic lock falls under the category of electronic circuits.

An aside, thanks to the video Sorrowful Jones linked me to, I avoided a big mistake. They had the Woodsman series safe there for about $600.00 less. The video cautioned that some safes if side punched on a bolt would open all of the bolts and the lock would simply open. I had the clerk open the safe, then leave the door open but with the mechanism locked. I gently pushed on one of the bolts and they all withdrew as the video warned of.
    You should have seen the look on the clerks face. He seemed to be fairly knowledegable of the safes in the store but admited he never was made aware that could happen. Had it not been for that video I may well have bought it. That made me think about the other features on the one I purchased at a much higer price and I was glad to pay it. Thanks again Sorrowful for probably saving all of my firearms had I ever been broken in to.:bow:

Neverhome
  11. chuckj5

chuckj5 New Member

I'm no thermal dynamics expert so a couple of questions arise. These are just common sense questions.
    What do you put in your gun safe and why?
    At what point will heat destroy the contents or cause heat damage.

My gun collection is probably worth $5,000.
    My coin collection is probably worth $3000 to $6000.
    My wifes jewelry in another $15,000 to $25,000.
    My precious metal is near $5000.
    Then there is paper, cash, house deed, will, bearer bonds and US Savings bonds.

So I buy a $500.00 safe to stuff these valuables in. I gotta be nuts, I'm getting a safe deposit box at a big bank. I never really added up the value of my stuff.

Fire rated times. How hot does it get inside a safe in a burning building, other than the grips melting, springs losing their temper, ammo exploding, soft metal melting (lead melts at around 700), paper turns to ash (this includes cash, bonds and stock certificates, plastic melts. How much heat can an electronic lock take before it malfunctions)

Gun safes are impressive, ugly grey metal boxes. They will keep the honest people honest, a serious baddy will wrap a chain around the safe and yank it out of the house through the wall. Have you ever seen a house after a professional burglar has made trip through it. They ain't neat.

My suggestion, keep excellent photographic and paper records of your possessions and have really good home owners insurance.

Photo of Safari 14, bolted through the floor and reinforced with steel plate. It will keep kids away from the contents. And cause a little discouragement to anyone with a crow bar and a hand truck.

Suggestions, get a safe with external hinges, internal hinges restrict door opening. Check for internal electrical supply for lights and humidity tube. Check for holes for mounting to floor and wall. How wide does the door open. Does the shelf height match you gun barrel length. Is there a cut out for long barrels? Are there provisions for scope mounted rifles? AR rifles are bulky, especially with high count clips and scopes; they take a lot more room than a single shot .22.

If you like guns, Last word of advice, buy a bigger safe than you need.

Attached Files: