Gun Safe Info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neverhome, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Well, I went out today to three stores and looked at the Cannon, Browning, Winchester, Stack On and Cabela's which is the Liberty brand. I ended up buying Cabelas Signature SG25 safe which is the 27 gun model, Scurity level 21, with 60 minutes @ 1200 degrees. It has 6, 1.25" bolts on each side of the door and two on the top, the DX 90 Monster Mech cam over center, with anit pry door tabs. Comes with two lights and an electrical outlet. What I liked about it besides the above is that it is 11 ga steel, and comes with a door unit that holds handguns, papers, etc and has pouches for mags. I had to special order it as it came with an electric key pad which made me nervous. If the battery ever fails and there are none to be found around, or if and electromagnet pulse is unleased in a nuclear war, the safe will not open, so I ordered it with a locking key dial.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Neverhome
    :D
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

And it cost, how much? :D
  3. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

$1700.00, The question was not can I afford to buy it, but can I afford not to? A lot of day time breakins have been happening around here for about a month now. Thieves are mostly taking guns and prescription medicen. I can't afford to lose either. All I have now is a metal security cabinet which has been OK for the last 25 years, but there was hardly any crime in this area then. I am retiring next year and thought it best to buy it while I am still employed.;)
  4. Sorrowful Jones

Sorrowful Jones New Member

60 min @ 1200. Do the specs give an INTERNAL temp? That's the important question. You will not regret getting the key dial. It is a bit slower but way more dependable. Congrats!
  5. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

congrats Neverhome! so i am assuming that it the same as the Franklin series by Liberty?
  6. Sorrowful Jones

Sorrowful Jones New Member

DD, Do you have a favorite brand or model? I am considering selling my smaller Morgan safe and getting a larger one? Thanks
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

DD's recommendation has been this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/Pioneer-Safe
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Amsec I don't know about dd safes but I sat and talked to the amsec guy at shot and hands down thatis my next safe.
  9. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

I was looking at a pentagon from sportsmans steel. But DD's choice is the same safe for thousands less. the more money i save on the safe, the more firearms i can buy:D:D:D
    Thanks DD;)
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

:yeahthat::thumbsup:
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I think DD committed suicide!:eek::rolleyes:
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nope, just watching folks spend their gun money when they dont have to. Its kind of amusing.
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Are most of them re-runs?
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

They are starting to be re runs. I guess we can start naming them....lets see...how about the new 1911 I could have had....or the two new matching glocks I only dream about......or my wifes new ring she always wanted but I let it slip away.......naaa, maybe not.
  15. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

The Cabela's catalog on safes does not match it up with the Liberty safe models so I can't answer the question. It also does not give the internal temp rating so once again I cannot answer. However at 1200 degrees for 60minutes and 83,000 BTU's I am reasonable sure the guns should survive. It also comes with a cool pocket pouch on the door liner to place documents and papers in and an expanding Paulsol heat seal around the door that expands up to 7 times it normal thickness to keep out heat and smoke around the door, so that reinforces my comfort level. It is also in my cellar so if the house does start to burn, a lot of the water from the fire department should drip down to the cellar providing a little more cooling.

It wasn't the most expensive safe out there, but it does seem to have a lot going for it and it suits my purpose. Fire, although a ligitimate concern, was not my primary reason for purchasing it. An increase in breakins was my prime motivator.

I did buy the dial lock instead of the electronic one for several reasons.
    The first was the reliability of steel over plastic push pads, the second was the fact that if the SHTF, batteries may become hard to find if findable at all.The third reason, and I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this, was if there were to be nuclear war and an electomagnetic pulse from a bomb was unleashed, most electronic circuits would be fried. I suspect the electronic lock falls under the category of electronic circuits.

An aside, thanks to the video Sorrowful Jones linked me to, I avoided a big mistake. They had the Woodsman series safe there for about $600.00 less. The video cautioned that some safes if side punched on a bolt would open all of the bolts and the lock would simply open. I had the clerk open the safe, then leave the door open but with the mechanism locked. I gently pushed on one of the bolts and they all withdrew as the video warned of.
    You should have seen the look on the clerks face. He seemed to be fairly knowledegable of the safes in the store but admited he never was made aware that could happen. Had it not been for that video I may well have bought it. That made me think about the other features on the one I purchased at a much higer price and I was glad to pay it. Thanks again Sorrowful for probably saving all of my firearms had I ever been broken in to.:bow:

Neverhome