Gun Safes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigboom338, Sep 20, 2003.

1. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

I am looking for info on gun safes, I want the biggest bang for my buck. I dont need fancy paint and stickers unless it can be had for cheap ( wont pay extra for it).
    What brands do our members own and why?
    I want good fire protection and security.
    I will spend the money it takes but I want to know the pros and cons of them all, preferably first hand( from owners).
    Also I need a big one so size does matter, if you can give the dimensions of yours and the number of guns it will hold I would appriciate it.

Thanks BB338
  2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

BB338, I did an extensive search 10-12 years ago before I chose a Fort Knox.

Mine is the 3rd from the left.
    [​IMG]

Mine is 60.5' x 31" x 24" the inside is made to hold 12 long guns comfortably (will hold more) and shelves across the top and from top to bottom on the left inside. about 700+ pounds empty.

The good part about Fort Knox, you can specify exactly what options and extras you would like.
  3. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Mine is a Liberty, Made for John Deere, it holds 24 long guns, I bought it because I could Charge it on Deere credit and make monthly payments. Does your Local JD Dealer sell them ???

Attached Files:

4. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

I went with a Browning medallion series Safe. The one I have is a 14/28 gun duo 60x30x27. I went with it because it gave me more bang for the buck. They are full roller ball bearing on the locking bolts and doors. When I bought mine it was rated lil over 1200 Degree fire rating. The new models have been stepped of with extra's at the same prices. I've had my safe for lil over 2 years now. I've had the safe lil over 2yrs now, It's been flawless. They make a wide range of safe series that holds up to 60 guns and prices to fit most anyone.
  5. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Y's yes they did have a safe in there but it was painted JD green and they were charging extra but I will ask them if any other styles are available. I like the patch collection by the way but I plan on putting those velcro holsters on my door.
    Zig, why did you choose the Fort Knox? I know they have been around for a while
    Tx Quad, I have mainly been looking at the Brownings they look to be top quality.
    I would like at least a 28 gun minimum and I would like a shelf or 2 in it. I have a 10 gun cabinet but have long since outgrown it so I need to do something soon.
  6. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

BB338,
    While shopping I found I was able to have the Fort Knox made the way I wanted it.
    The inside can be arranged the way I want with adjustable shelving and the door has 4 "racks" w/ rubber coated hooks to hang pistols.

As I mentioned, after doing an extensive search I found the Fort Knox the most for my money. :D
  7. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Hey ysacres, is that where you keep that sucker punching SKS?
  8. HerbyJr

HerbyJr New Member

I've got an American Security. I think it is sort of the off-brand, but back 5 or 6 years agow when I got it, I did plenty of research and found it to be comparable to the others, but for a little less money. Plus, there happened to be a dealer for American Security (and others) not too far from my house. The only complaint I have is that the some of the gold on the dial has worn off a little.

Here's a link if you want it:

http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes.htm

H.
  9. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

I've had both of my AmSec safe's for quite awile now, and
    they're every bit as good (if not better) than others.

Tac
  10. ysacres

Hydra Shok
    an SKS is not worthy to be in the safe. I keep it outside in the tractor, It cycles best when dirty, rusty, ect.ect.. :D

If anyone needs to steal a sucker puncher, it's in the green tractor at the end of the dirt road, on the steep 60 by the old school house. Please dont steal the CB or the toolbox. Thnkx, Wiseacre.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  11. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Ys hey would ya mind me askin what you paid for your safe? A farm supply store here has Libertys like yours for $800. Dont know if that is a fair price or not.
    Same goes for you Zig.
    You guys can PM me if you dont want it public.
    Thanks, BB338
  12. ysacres

Model LT-23 = $1150
  13. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

BB338, 10+ yrs ago, signed-sealed and delivered with a golden rod dehumidifier was right at $1200.00.

Remember, there's alot to take into consideration when comparing safes. Gage of steel, number and quality of bolts, Greenleaf vs other brand locks?, lever or 3-prong spinner, fire rating, finish and last but not least the ability to rearrange the inside.

Here is where I got mine. http://www.agenglish.com

Check out the interior designs and options.
  14. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Thanks Zig and YS. It looks like it's gonna be between $1000 and $1500 when I buy one.
    I want security but the fire protection is more important to me than any thing.
  15. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I got my Fort Knox used at a locksmith shop. About 60% less than retail. An oldie but a goodie.
  16. bigwilly11189

bigwilly11189 New Member

how do you get these things shipped into your house??? And do you have to put these in the basement to support the weight?? Finally, i see the fire resistance is only 1550 degrees for 30 minutes at the most that I have seen. Is this even practical. Only 30 minutes?
  17. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

most will ship to the door only,the weight is not as bad as you think ,if a floor will not support it ,the house should be condemned , most of them are under 1,000 pounds ,the same weight as three adults standing by a refrigerator
  18. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Mine is a Graffunder made in LeGrande, Oregon.

Weighs 1900 lbs, fire protection is rated at 1500* for 45 min. Cost $2300 and sits in the garage on the concrete floor.

Half inch heat treated steel on the outside, 1/4 inch same on the inside. 2 1/2 inches of hand mixed and placed wet fire retardent between the walls.

Sumbuck is heavy but I like it.

berto
  19. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

my mind just froze up reading this thread...... :p i just got off of the phone w/ a local dealer...... heehee! anyhoo ~ last fall, my hubby & i saw a fire demonstration at our state fair that was put on by liberty. the liberty safe outlasted 2 other safes, but i cannot remember the names of them.:confused: i did find this site for you to look at & this one. after seeing that demonstration, we'd settled on our getting a liberty safe (dont have it yet) but i hear also that the champion gun safes have made some good improvements! so, might be back to the drawing board for us.:D
  20. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

In the process of ordering a Ft Knox Vault Door to go on my gunroom. Gunroom is 10x20, 12" solid concrete block steel rinforced walls, 8" concrete steel reenforced ceiling. And it is mostly underground. About as safe as I'm going to get.

Can double as storm shelter during tornado season too.

I may need to call some of you over to help install the door. Only weighs 1198 lbs.